Spay Incision

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!

I am a first time cat owner and my darling Jiggy who is just over 9 months old got spayed two days ago. The first two days she was quiet and lethargic which I expected and now she seems to be almost like her usual self. My question is, does her incision look like it's doing well? She's got a cone on so she can't access it but I just want some opinions for peace of mind.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks beautiful to me. But those sutures sure like a cat's favorite toy, fun to nibble and play with, so good thing she's wearing a cone for now! What day did your vet say is the suture removal for that type of incision closure? At Day 7 or so?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
It looks beautiful to me. But those sutures sure like a cat's favorite toy, fun to nibble and play with, so good thing she's wearing a cone for now! What day did your vet say is the suture removal for that type of incision closure? At Day 7 or so?
Thanks for you reply! Without the cone, she would have ripped out the stitches for sure! I was advised to wait 10 days.. I know it's better to prevent unwanted litters and other benefits of spaying but I just feel so guilty that I did this to her!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No need to feel guilty about it! In my view, Jiggy will have more fun and better health in life now, having been spayed!

Good luck on the 10-days-with-the-cone scenario! In a day or two, the incision may get itchier as it heals and she might go bananas.
:banana1: :banana2:

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My kitten had to be in a cone for 2.5 weeks because of a complication from the spay procedure. She got used to it quickly! I would take it off for feeding times, and she was so good about sitting still to get it put back on afterwards. This is the cone I got from Amazon: .

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten had to be in a cone for 2.5 weeks because of a complication from the spay procedure. She got used to it quickly! I would take it off for feeding times, and she was so good about sitting still to get it put back on afterwards. This is the cone I got from Amazon: .
Ohh thanks for that! She's pretty uncomfortable with the hard plastic cone but she's getting used to it and can eat with it on too but its hard for her to find a comfy position to sleep so I'll definitely check out that link thanks again.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Her incision looks really good. This is Moon’s cone, she was spayed Monday. This is a soft, padded cone I found at a local store. We take it off to feed/water her or when I leash her and watch her closely to give her a break from wearing it.
That cone looks so nice and squishy! My only reason to suggest the cone my kitten used over one like this is because it was clear, so she could still see everything around her at all times.

Sandy Beach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That cone looks so nice and squishy! My only reason to suggest the cone my kitten used over one like this is because it was clear, so she could still see everything around her at all times.
I wish they made soft ones that were see through. That’s the only thing I don’t like about it.
I’ve been trying to find a neck pillow small enough for a cat but have had no luck yet.
I have a special-needs dog, she has MegaEsophagus, and she uses a neck pillow at night to prevent the buildup of saliva in her throat. They are absolutely wonderful. We even used it when she was spayed instead of using a cone, and it completely prevents them from getting to the incision while Still allowing them to eat and drink freely and it’s so comfy.
I temporarily put it on Moon to see if it would fit before I bought the other one, but it is too large and even though her collar helps to keep it in place, it’s a tad bit heavy for a cat. I just need one a little smaller...wish I could find one. I like these so much better.

Attachments

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wish they made soft ones that were see through. That’s the only thing I don’t like about it.
I’ve been trying to find a neck pillow small enough for a cat but have had no luck yet.
I have a special-needs dog, she has MegaEsophagus, and she uses a neck pillow at night to prevent the buildup of saliva in her throat. They are absolutely wonderful. We even used it when she was spayed instead of using a cone, and it completely prevents them from getting to the incision while Still allowing them to eat and drink freely and it’s so comfy.
I temporarily put it on Moon to see if it would fit before I bought the other one, but it is too large and even though her collar helps to keep it in place, it’s a tad bit heavy for a cat. I just need one a little smaller...wish I could find one. I like these so much better.
The one I posted is soft around the neck, and she definitely appreciated that!

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Just wanted to provide an update as I also need some new advice!

So it has now been 8 days since Jiggy's spay and on day 5, she was able to get out of her cone and played with her incision a little. Her stitches are still in tact but they look different. I believe she may have midly irritated the incision as I noticed some dried blood.. It looks like it's healing well to me but it seems abit crusty, is this normal? There is no redness, warmth or swelling or any sign of infection that I can see but here's a photo that I just took.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you are still in the "ballpark" of good healing, but is Jiggy still wearing her Dreaded Cone? Like I mentioned earlier, she might really want to try nibbling on those threads and also lick at her now itchy, healing wound. You could send that snapshot to the vet via email, and ask for their input.
:vibes: :cheerleader:

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think you are still in the "ballpark" of good healing, but is Jiggy still wearing her Dreaded Cone? Like I mentioned earlier, she might really want to try nibbling on those threads and also lick at her now itchy, healing wound. You could send that snapshot to the vet via email, and ask for their input.
:vibes: :cheerleader:
Thanks so much for your swift reply! Yes, I put the cone back on straight away and we've now only got about 36 hours until the stitches come out :)

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had my female Ragdoll spayed yesterday and they did not use stitches but surgical glue. She was given back to me like if nothing happened. No redness, blood, crust, or pain. Like if nothing happened. She started playing and eating like normal. No cone necessary. I guess it's true that Ragdolls don't feel pain, just kidding lol They charged me extra cause they alleged she was still in heat. I did not notice she was. Not sure why they charge more when an animal is in heat.

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had my female Ragdoll spayed yesterday and they did not use stitches but surgical glue. She was given back to me like if nothing happened. No redness, blood, crust, or pain. Like if nothing happened. She started playing and eating like normal. No cone necessary. I guess it's true that Ragdolls don't feel pain, just kidding lol They charged me extra cause they alleged she was still in heat. I did not notice she was. Not sure why they charge more when an animal is in heat.
That's great news about your kitty! The reason why some vets charge more when a cat is in heat is because her reproductive organs and blood vessels become engorged with blood and takes more time from what I was told from my vet. Hope that information helps! :)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes, my vet charges a bit more if the girl is in heat. They told me the same thing, more delicate surgery, because everything is engorged with blood. Takes a fair amount more time for the vet.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just notice the incision site on my female cat, there is a little bulge or bump. Is that normal? Will it go away? It has been 6 days since spaying.