Spay Incision, Should I Worry (with Pictures)

Curlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Its day 5 after her spay. I noticed this a few minutrs ago and want a few opinions before I stress her out with another 35 minute drive to the vet as shes a very anxious cat.

You can see to the left, the other half of the incision is pretty healed up. She doesnt lick it much at all, it doesnt seem to bother her and she doesnt seem to be in any pain. She is a very active cat, even hours after bringing her home she was trying to jump on the bathroom sink but her cone threw off her balance and she almost fell a few times (I was there to catch her). We have been keeping the cone off for that reason, because if shes going to try to jump, I would rather her do it safely rather than to fall and hurt herself.

Now tomorrow I am supposed to return back to work and looking at this kind of makes me nervous. I won't be able to watch her and make sure she doesnt lick it while I'm away, like I said, shes anxious so everytime I lock her up she jumps around all crazy and overly grooms the rest of her fur. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For one I would absolutely leave the collar on while you are away. It doesn't look infected or anything. But if she is licking at it could be why it is a little bloody. I would be way more concerned about her having the cone off and licking it then having the cone on and not being able to properly jump on the sink...

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh also how about putting her in a LARGE dog crate? Or laundry room or bedroom even. Jumping once on the bed to nap would be much better then jumping around on a sink or counter. Although we do want to discourage this jumping, which is why I suggested a dog crate. It has to be large though so her cone doesn't get in the way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Curlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh also how about putting her in a LARGE dog crate? Or laundry room or bedroom even. Jumping once on the bed to nap would be much better then jumping around on a sink or counter. Although we do want to discourage this jumping, which is why I suggested a dog crate. It has to be large though so her cone doesn't get in the way.
I made her a cat onesie that she actually doesnt mind so now I feel better about leaving her alone. I can't put her in the bedroom because she hates closed doors and will claw my carpet up and I rent this apartment. The only place for her is in the bathroom so she won't ruin my carpet. She scales my clothes in the closet and jumps onto there very top of my canopy bed so no bedroom lol I unfortunately am low on funds from taking two cats to the vet this week so I cant afford a kennel. I think she will be fine with the sweater now so no licking and no tumbling off the sink with a cone.

Linda Dwyer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am a big believer in colloidal silver. I spoke to my vet about using it and she agreed. This is what my cat's stitches looked like the day after her spay and I put the silver on the stitches the first night she was home
IMG_1242.jpg

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take her in for a vet check. It kind of looks to me like it is trying to separate or open up? It also looks wet, like there is discharge? I vote, very strongly, if any questions about a spay site have a vet check. I went through some serious problems with one of mine, so i do know how bad it can get.

Best of luck to her, i hope its noting wrong, but i would want it checked out.

Curlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would take her in for a vet check. It kind of looks to me like it is trying to separate or open up? It also looks wet, like there is discharge? I vote, very strongly, if any questions about a spay site have a vet check. I went through some serious problems with one of mine, so i do know how bad it can get.

Best of luck to her, i hope its noting wrong, but i would want it checked out.
The vet told me it doesnt look infected and to just keep her from licking it and bring her in if it leaks anything or gets worse. So I made a little onesie out of a leg warmer for her to wear when im at work since I cant stop her from licking when im not home and the little spot has already closed up and is healing perfect. The vet said she probably had the edge open up from being so active and jumping around but since there's layers of stitches it would heal on its own as long as it didnt get bigger.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great, im glad she seems to be doing well! I had to use a cone for my girl as well. i tried onesie for her, lol it was funny, but not to her, she refused to walk in the thing. Im glad your girl is doing well!

Curlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great, im glad she seems to be doing well! I had to use a cone for my girl as well. i tried onesie for her, lol it was funny, but not to her, she refused to walk in the thing. Im glad your girl is doing well!
Oh she didnt like it at first either but she got used to it which I wasn't expecting. Now she let's me take it on and off of her with no fuss!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad she is doing good with the onesie. my little girl just would not. and i thought she was so cute in it :)

nese

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am a big believer in colloidal silver. I spoke to my vet about using it and she agreed. This is what my cat's stitches looked like the day after her spay and I put the silver on the stitches the first night she was home View attachment 232687
I totally agree. Last year one of our female cats was spayed. Our vet used colloidal silver spray on her incision. On the 3rd day the incision was almost completely healed and stitches were removed on day 6 or 7.
1,5 months ago our another girl was spayed at the same vet. They did not use colloidal silver this time. I did not ask why but I know it is expensive, this may be the reason. It took 14 days to heal the incision completely. On the third day the incision was almost looking like the same just after the surgery.

Next time, I will ask for colloidal silver for sure.