Spay incision progress

Gregophocles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Attached are pictures of my 6 month old kitten's spay incision from 3 days after surgery and 14 days (today) after surgery. The most recent picture from today shows significant dry, crustiness, which I believe is from the glue used on the area. I sent the vet the first photo after three days and he said it looked normal, so I sent today's photo and am waiting for a response.

In the meantime I'm just curious if anyone else has seen an incision look like this after 2 weeks. She has been wearing a onesie since surgery day so she's had no access to lick the incision at all at any point in the last two weeks.

My concern is that because there's so much crustiness on there that if I take the onesie off she will obsessively lick it until it's gone, but simultaneously irritating the incision itself. I don't mind leaving the onesie on for a bit longer to be on the safe side if need be.

Thanks!

Attachments

Kee

High Velocity
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not experienced in this particular subject, but I'd say to keep the onesie on for as long as she needs, and only take it off when you're sure she doesn't need it anymore. It's kinda like baking if you think about it: you can't keep opening the oven every 5 minutes; just wait for that golden brown so she stops resetting the clock on the healing process.

Btw.. kitten in a onesie!?? Please add full pictures because that sounds adorable

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Photos of incisions are often hard for us to see clearly but it doesn’t look inflamed in the second photo. Is it still draining or wet? That would be concerning. Any foul odor? I can’t really see crustiness. If she has had a onsie on the whole time, the glue could still be there to some extent. Does the area feel hot? The things I mentioned can clue you in if there is a problem. Redness would too. Is she drinking eating and going to the box as she should? Of course the vet is the one to address the state of healing. I always advise that if you are worried in any way, ask your vet. Trust your instincts and even if everything checks out okay, the vet can put your worries to rest. That’s always a relief! Please do update us.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gregophocles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am not experienced in this particular subject, but I'd say to keep the onesie on for as long as she needs, and only take it off when you're sure she doesn't need it anymore. It's kinda like baking if you think about it: you can't keep opening the oven every 5 minutes; just wait for that golden brown so she stops resetting the clock on the healing process.

Btw.. kitten in a onesie!?? Please add full pictures because that sounds adorable
She's ridiculously adorable in it!
20210501_163308.jpg
20210505_093056.jpg

• Hugging
Reactions: Kee
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gregophocles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Photos of incisions are often hard for us to see clearly but it doesn’t look inflamed in the second photo. Is it still draining or wet? That would be concerning. Any foul odor? I can’t really see crustiness. If she has had a onsie on the whole time, the glue could still be there to some extent. Does the area feel hot? The things I mentioned can clue you in if there is a problem. Redness would too. Is she drinking eating and going to the box as she should? Of course the vet is the one to address the state of healing. I always advise that if you are worried in any way, ask your vet. Trust your instincts and even if everything checks out okay, the vet can put your worries to rest. That’s always a relief! Please do update us.
Thanks for the advice! You're right, it doesn't look inflamed or red, isn't warm or smelly, and she's back to her normal active kitten self. She never had appetite issues, even the first time feeding her post-op, and has been using the litter box regularly without problems.