Spay Incision (photo)

Dlh89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all! So on Tuesday (May 26) my cat was spayed. Due to pregnancy (I didn't know) the incision had to be larger and they had to place staples. Long story short.... we have been back to the vet 3x since then. She pulled out staples. They glued, glued spots came back open etc. They did give her an antibiotic shot. Does it look okay??? We just went back earlier today for an additional staple to be added. THIS IS STRESSING ME OUT. They gave her a cone to wear that she HATES and I'm nervous to leave it on her. Afraid she will choke herself or something!!! Anyway I have been watching her like a hawk. Supposed to get these staples out June 3. I am so stressed because I have to go back to work June 5 (I am a nurse) and I won't be home for 4 days. I need this healed by then! Vet felt it looked okay today. I have a fear it's going to pop open.

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It looks good. If she will tolerate it you can hold a warm compress against it, just warm not hot. It would probably make her feel better and help with healing. Otherwise just keep an eye out for redness that spreads or puss. I find it helpful to take a photo a day and make a slideshow so I can tell if something is just in my head.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dlh89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It looks good. If she will tolerate it you can hold a warm compress against it, just warm not hot. It would probably make her feel better and help with healing. Otherwise just keep an eye out for redness that spreads or puss. I find it helpful to take a photo a day and make a slideshow so I can tell if something is just in my head.
Thank you so much. My greatest fear has been it opening. I thought it looked a little opened towards the bottom??? I have literally been having high level anxiety over this. Thanks for easing my mind!!!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don’t mention if they gave you pain meds for her. If they didn’t, that might help to keep her more comfortable for a few days.

Dlh89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You don’t mention if they gave you pain meds for her. If they didn’t, that might help to keep her more comfortable for a few days.
They did not. Thankfully, she has been acting fine. But I will try the compress. It's just that dreaded cone! She looks like her spirit is broken every time I put it on her! Ugh! But we will get through it all... we just need this incision to heal!!! I appreciate you guys!!!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she continues to try and pull at the incision and the cone becomes too difficult, please request that they consider some pain medication for her. Cats never want to show pain because it goes against their survival instincts. In the wild that would show weakness and make them more vulnerable to predators. Even after all domestication, this is still programmed into them. I have had many feral rescues spayed and neutered and was given at least three days of pain meds for males, more for females as that surgery is very invasive as it would be for a human female. It sounds like her surgery was a bit more than just a Spay. I have had pregnant females spayed too. Licking or pulling at the site could indicate discomfort. Cats are tough. Still, pain meds could really help you in this case. Keeping her relaxed is very helpful in the healing process. Please keep us updated and , photos are very helpful. I’m so sorry you both had such a tough time with this.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
So there is a thread about an incision after abdominal surgery, with the cat wearing a onesie instead of a cone. It is ingenious! Will try to put a link. Scoll down to the picture with the onesie (don't know how he pees/poops though- a hole cut?):

Featured - Recovering from intestinal surgery

Dlh89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If she continues to try and pull at the incision and the cone becomes too difficult, please request that they consider some pain medication for her. Cats never want to show pain because it goes against their survival instincts. In the wild that would show weakness and make them more vulnerable to predators. Even after all domestication, this is still programmed into them. I have had many feral rescues spayed and neutered and was given at least three days of pain meds for males, more for females as that surgery is very invasive as it would be for a human female. It sounds like her surgery was a bit more than just a Spay. I have had pregnant females spayed too. Licking or pulling at the site could indicate discomfort. Cats are tough. Still, pain meds could really help you in this case. Keeping her relaxed is very helpful in the healing process. Please keep us updated and , photos are very helpful. I’m so sorry you both had such a tough time with this.
Thank you so much. I did not think about it like you said but that makes perfect sense!!! I will use a compress on her!!!

Dlh89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It looks good for now. I hope she keeps these staples on! I agree that a onesie might work for her, or if she's skinny enough you can use a tube sock.
Great ideas!!! I joined this site just for her and so glad I did!!!