Spay incision open?!

Catmum343

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took my cat to be spayed 11 days ago but unfortunately the incision became infected and I was given antibiotics (which she has for 3 more days.
I was told by the vets to monitor the incision and it it got any worse to bring her back in, her next check up is in 3 days when they hope to discharge her but they are still worried about the incision. I’ll attach 2 pictures - the one with scabbing at the bottom was from yesterday and the other picture is from today. The scabbing has fallen off today and it looks awful.
Does the wound now look open? Should I bring her back into the vets first thing tomorrow?

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you retake the second photo...since it's a bit blurry.

I'm not a vet, but the first photo with the scabbing looked odd to me...because it's so brown, and a bit yellowish at the top, with some perhaps fatty tissue? showing...(that pinkish tissue)
The second one without the scab looks much cleaner.

Could you Email the photos to your Vet...and then you'd know for sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmum343

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you retake the second photo...since it's a bit blurry.

I'm not a vet, but the first photo with the scabbing looked odd to me...because it's so brown, and a bit yellowish at the top, with some perhaps fatty tissue? showing...(that pinkish tissue)
The second one without the scab looks much cleaner.

Could you Email the photos to your Vet...and then you'd know for sure.
Is this slightly better? Sorry she won’t let me anywhere near her now to take a picture.
Yeah I have been worried about it since day 1, I’ve been to the vets about 4 times since her operation now because I just don’t think it looks right. They prescribed her some antibiotics and did tell me that it was pretty infected. I’m just worried that now it looks like the incision is slightly open at the bottom.

I asked them if they accepted pictures over email but they don’t unfortunately so I’ll ring them first thing.

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this slightly better? Sorry she won’t let me anywhere near her now to take a picture.
Yeah I have been worried about it since day 1, I’ve been to the vets about 4 times since her operation now because I just don’t think it looks right. They prescribed her some antibiotics and did tell me that it was pretty infected. I’m just worried that now it looks like the incision is slightly open at the bottom.

I asked them if they accepted pictures over email but they don’t unfortunately so I’ll ring them first thing.
It's still kind of blurry...but yeah...it figures that she won't let you anywhere near it now.
Especially if she knows you want a photo. That's pretty much what all our cats do. :doh: :blush: :wink:

I don't think you have to worry too much, since she already is on antibiotics.
And what you are seeing with the healing, ...with it scabbing over...then falling off...looking very raw...and then scabbing over again...is normal.
As long as you don't see any yellowish, white, brown, green discharge...or excessive bleeding...plus hot to the touch skin.

To me, it looks more open at the top part...near the left side of the upper scab.
The bottom should scab over...again. Especially by tomorrow.

How is your cat otherwise...with eating, drinking water, pooping and peeing?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
IF everything else is pretty normal (eating, drinking, litter box, sleep), I believe that you are safe waiting the three days. However, if you have real concerns, take her in. Better to be more cautious than less. Although the first picture does not show as much detail, the color on it is excellent. The wound is not over-inflamed, nor is it oozing pus.

Catmum343

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's still kind of blurry...but yeah...it figures that she won't let you anywhere near it now.
Especially if she knows you want a photo. That's pretty much what all our cats do. :doh: :blush: :wink:

I don't think you have to worry too much, since she already is on antibiotics.
And what you are seeing with the healing, ...with it scabbing over...then falling off...looking very raw...and then scabbing over again...is normal.
As long as you don't see any yellowish, white, brown, green discharge...or excessive bleeding...plus hot to the touch skin.

To me, it looks more open at the top part...near the left side of the upper scab.
The bottom should scab over...again. Especially by tomorrow.

How is your cat otherwise...with eating, drinking water, pooping and peeing?
There doesn’t seem to be any discharge but when her dressing fell off 2 days ago there was a tiny bit of dried blood on it. I am unable to take anytime off work today to take her to the vets but I am worried.
The bottom part hasn’t scabbed over again like I would’ve hoped.
She’s been great with eating, drinking, popping and peeing since day once after the operation which has reassured me. She’s also full of life even though she’s still on medication - she just wants to play but we’re not letting her as I’m scared she’s going to tear something :-(
Here’s the wound today...should I be worried?

Attachments

Catmum343

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IF everything else is pretty normal (eating, drinking, litter box, sleep), I believe that you are safe waiting the three days. However, if you have real concerns, take her in. Better to be more cautious than less. Although the first picture does not show as much detail, the color on it is excellent. The wound is not over-inflamed, nor is it oozing pus.
She’s been great with eating, drinking, peeing and pooping! She also loves to sleep so definitely no problems there.
I was going to take her in yesterday but was told to just give it an extra day but today I am unable to bring her in due to very important work commitments that I thought I could reschedule but unfortunately I can’t.
Here is a picture of the wound this morning - I’m just worried about the bottom part of the incision as to me it looks like it’s open and I’m not sure how it’s going to come together to heal?

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
There doesn’t seem to be any discharge but when her dressing fell off 2 days ago there was a tiny bit of dried blood on it. I am unable to take anytime off work today to take her to the vets but I am worried.
The bottom part hasn’t scabbed over again like I would’ve hoped.
She’s been great with eating, drinking, popping and peeing since day once after the operation which has reassured me. She’s also full of life even though she’s still on medication - she just wants to play but we’re not letting her as I’m scared she’s going to tear something :-(
Here’s the wound today...should I be worried?
No, you don't have to worry.
Especially since you have an appointment tomorrow, on friday, right?
The bottom part will scab over again, and looks very clean.
And the top part looks good to me, also.

I'm just wondering about the "dressing" you are using? What type of dressing is that?
Is it a type of yellowish cream? Or is it a fabric of some kind?
The yellowish colour from the top might be surgical glue that they used to close the final skin layer.?
(Remember, too, that there are usually two layers of internal row of stitches...and you are only seeing the top, external skin layer...which is either closed by sutures, staples, or surgical glue.)

Ask the Vet on friday, if you can use a bit of 'salt water' to gently wash the external skin layer. It might make the scab fall off faster, so I don't know if they would recommend that or not. Doesn't hurt to ask.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had many cats do this. The wound may have opened a tiny bit, but it may have needed to drain. As long as it is not actively bleeding bright red blood, you are OK, clear drainage is fine. thick, colored drainage is not. I have had incisions open MUCH more than this and they have healed fine, it just took a little longer. is she taking her antibiotic alright? if not, get some Hartz Lickabel treats in STEW flavors at your dollar General, Walmart sometimes has it too, it is online at Walmart and target too. Put the antibiotic in it, cats absolutely love it. It may be a little infected, but the antibiotic should take care of it. As long as she is eating, drinking, and using the litter box everything is fine!