Spay incision infected?

Danii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,my cats got fixed on Thursday and one of them her stitches looked very odd on saturday,they looked even uglier on Sunday so i texted the vet and send them a picture of the incision and they said it looks fine but now it's Wednesday keeps getting uglier and uglier,it's a bit disgusting kinda hard to look at IMO :l i want them to clean the wound and stitch her again but idk...

I posted how it looked on monday vs now
The super pink one was on sunday/monday the one with the huge scab it's the more recent one. What do you guys think?

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely take her back in to the Vet.
It looks like yellow pus has developed,...where you would want them to flush it and clean it out.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It actually looks pretty good to me. There isn't any angry redness, normal swelling, and minimal seepage. Wounds are supposed to scab up, that's how they heal. If the vet says it looks good I think you can trust them.

If she's been in a cone/onesie this entire time, maybe give her 5 or 10 minutes free so she can clean herself. That might help it look nicer. Don't let her bite at the incision though.

Opening it up again is a very last resort because that gives more opportunity for infection, you definitely don't want them to do that needlessly.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
It actually looks pretty good to me. There isn't any angry redness, normal swelling, and minimal seepage. Wounds are supposed to scab up, that's how they heal. If the vet says it looks good I think you can trust them.
Hmm? Are you looking at the first photo above, from your computer or smartphone?
Because to me, I definetly see yellow pus, and a possible seroma near the incision site.
Opening it up again is a very last resort because that gives more opportunity for infection, you definitely don't want them to do that needlessly.
You are right about the above statement, but I think that the best thing to do would be to bring her in,.. since a photo does not describe the actual temperature, swelling, texture...and feeling that an actual Vet would do.
Better now, than before the weekend.

I don't think they would have to open up the entire incision, but rather lance and flush it.
(But I am not a Vet, so just guessing.)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm. . .there is some yellow seepage but it doesn't look like infection pus, if that makes any sense. And the swelling looks like the normal reaction to the internal stitches and not infection swelling. But I'm no expert, that's why I recommend letting the vet take a look. But if they don't trust the vet's opinion of the picture, yes, they should take the cat in for an in-person evaluation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Danii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update! I was going to text the vet again and today her scab fell and well no stitches visible but the wound looks better now odly enough,what do you guys think?there's no fluid coming out or anything but the stitches were supposed to be taken out on friday not Wednesday...yup,she is still eating,using litter box and drinking water and very vocal (i have been keeping her in my room since Thursday haha,anyway,i will still tell the vet that the stitches fell with the scab,thanks for all your replies they were very helpful ^-^

Attachments