Spay Incision Infected.

Lakek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay so my kitten got spayed on 6/6/19 and I adopted her on the 12. When I adopted her they sent me home with clavamox because she started licking the incision. During these last couple of weeks she’s been doing great, healing slowly but surely and then I woke up and it was open and nasty. This was 3 days ago. So I took her in 2 days ago, they cleaned it up said it would be okay and to keep doing what I was doing but now with a cone. I’ve been keeping the cone on, giving her medication and have her cooped up in my room that’s not very big. Here’s what the incision looks like now, I’m not sure what to do they said it have some oozing

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lakek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All the vets near me are closed today :( but the draining had gone down. And she acts like a normal kitten she still eats really good and tries to play and jump at around which is very limited since she needs to heal. She also doesn’t seem like she’s in pain at all, whenever I dab around it to clean it she’s perfectly fine

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Lakek and welcome to the forum !

This has been going on far too long, and the concern is that the infection will spread.

So, you really have to 'take the bull by the horns' now and ensure that she receives the right antibiotic to put this fire out. (It sounds like you are still using the Clavamox....is this the case? Were you given more, and how long is it expected to last? Did you stop it for any reason?)

Now, you said this:
"they said it have some oozing"​
What are we seeing in that picture? Is that "ooze" or is the wet appearance coming from your cleaning the area?

Is she licking the area?

There's a scab in that picture - there's also a bright red area just underneath.....has she licked off a scab from there?

I wouldn't say it's an emergency, but it should be examined and treated tomorrow.

Lakek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has had a cone on for 3 days so she hasn’t been licking at all
They gave me more clavamox and that should last me 2 weeks
The wet appearance in the draining/oozing, it’s lessened from yesterday so that makes me feel better.
The bright red is because it hasn’t closed fully yet but it’s getting smaller

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, that's reassuring!

So, perhaps all is OK after all. The lessening/reducing of the ooze is a sign that the infection is responding to the antibiotic.

In that case, I would just keep watching it closely, expecting the ooze to disappear completely and the red area to fade.

If you see any regression, though, don't hesitate, have her re-examined! (I hope you're not being charged for any of this.....she came to you with an existing ongoing condition - that should be covered until its resolution.)

Yesterday, someone else with a kitten was talking about how difficult it was for the kitten to manage the cone....it was really too big and bulky. Someone suggested an alternative, a paper plate with a X cut in the center and just pushed over her head. It worked brilliantly! Perhaps a consideration for you.

I saw her picture in the "New Cats" thread - she is just precious! And, her name is just p̶e̶r̶f̶e̶c̶t̶ purrrfect !

Lakek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's what I was thinking too, it's been a crazy couple of days with her just because I've been in super worried mom mode. I did get charged because the vet from the humane society isn't going to be in until Tuesday and I wanted to take her in asap to clear my mind.

Yeah the cone was a big thing to get used to especially because shes so small so I had to get an xxs size. then it was to heavy so I cut it in half and rounded off the edges and now she doesn't mind it too much!
It's definitely been a new experience dealing with a kitten who just got spayed versus a full grown cat because all of the energy!

Super glad I found this page because it's definitely been so helpful seeing other people going through the same!<3
And thank you she is so precious and is one of the best cats I have ever had/met(:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah nothing is harder then telling a kitten to rest! I hope she recovers quickly and her infection clears up.

I would be cleaning her wound with a warm washcloth or putting her back end in a small tub/bowl of warm water just to soak the puss/ooze off the fur if need be (twice a day because I’m a helicopter mom.) I would also take her to the vet at the first sign of things getting worse. I’m always nervous about spaying itty bitty kittens because they seem so small. However I get why shelters insist on doing that pre-adoption. I think I would still seek a refund, under ‘she needed vet care because it was obviously infected and your vet wasn’t available. If her E collar had fit this could have been prevented. Of course I wasn’t going to wait to see your vet, what if she got worse!’ You might get further if you go in person with pictures, your vet’s information & the kitten (in case the vet wants to take a look at her.)

Lakek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yeah definitely, I dab at her wound a little bit but not too much cause I don't want to irritate it more. But she's doing a LOT better from this mornings picture, all drainage has stopped and now we're just hoping for a fast recovery!
I feel so bad I have been keeping her in a large dog crate for these past days so she cant jump on anything, so ready for this to be healed so she can go back to doing kitten things

Lakek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay here’s after that picture of no jumping, no licking at it, and rest. What do you guys think, the pink circle is definitely getting smaller and the drainage is a little more this morning but over all I think it’s looking better , it’s not hot to the touch or anything. Should I go to the vet today and get a second opinion?

Attachments

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday afternoon you said (post #11)
"all drainage has stopped"​
How would you describe that discharge right now ?

I'm asking that specifically because I see no difference in "ooze" between the last 2 pictures. I do see a lessening of the colour of the red(dish) 'spot', though.

I wonder if it had stopped....because you had just 'mopped it up' - or, because the a/b had begun to control the infection.......that's my question.

Really, by now, that antibiotic should, at the very least, have started to reduce the discharge.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah my worrier side says take her to the vet because that discharge looks bad. However I do not have much experience with cat wounds so I would show the picture of the incision and ask their opinion.

Lakek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yesterday afternoon you said (post #11)
"all drainage has stopped"​
How would you describe that discharge right now ?

I'm asking that specifically because I see no difference in "ooze" between the last 2 pictures. I do see a lessening of the colour of the red(dish) 'spot', though.

I wonder if it had stopped....because you had just 'mopped it up' - or, because the a/b had begun to control the infection.......that's my question.

Really, by now, that antibiotic should, at the very least, have started to reduce the discharge.

The drainage stoped being so much, It was lessening in how much was being produced and it was starting to get less and less an in only one spot
Here’s an updated picture, it’s looking much better

Attachments

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To me, that's a huge improvement compared to the two previous images.

I'd be tempted to just watch from here on in (unless of course, discharge should appear - leaving/keeping it dry should allow the final healing/de-scabbing to occur).

Now......that's all great for her belly.....where are all the other the pics of her? Just one won't do:lol:

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stunning!

Clearly a furshionista........on the catwalk, of course:lol: