Spay Incision- infected or normal?

clannark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

We recently got our baby spayed on Thursday. We’ve been keeping close check on it ever since. Does this incision look normal? This is our first time having a girl cat so we aren’t really sure what should be alarming or not. Her behavior has also changed today, she keeps hiding under the bed which is not like her at all. Just looking for opinions so I can get my girl to the vet tomorrow morning if it does look serious. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Looks ok to me. I don't see any sign of inflammation. I remember when my younger one was spayed I was so worried about it also - first time for me as well.

Is she on any pain relief? She may still need some though by now, I'd think not though all cats are different. Or conversely if she is on it, may be why she's hiding. Can you block off the area so at least you can get to her if need be?

If concerned run it by your vet, if for no other reason than to ease your mind.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you send a photo of it to your Vet? through text..or email?

The inside part looks concerning to me.
It's either a scab that's formed, or her skin,...or not really sure what it is?
It kind of looks greenish...but might be my computer filter.
(Is it grey or greenish? to you?)

Hiding is not normal as well.
I would definitely contact the Vet...just to make sure.
(the other members are probably right...and I just over worry..🤔.)

Please update us, tomorrow, when you can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clannark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looks ok to me. I don't see any sign of inflammation. I remember when my younger one was spayed I was so worried about it also - first time for me as well.

Is she on any pain relief? She may still need some though by now, I'd think not though all cats are different. Or conversely if she is on it, may be why she's hiding. Can you block off the area so at least you can get to her if need be?

If concerned run it by your vet, if for no other reason than to ease your mind.
No, they didn’t give us any pain relief for her but that could explain the strange behavior. We’ve had her in a room to herself the past few days. Thank you for the advice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clannark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you send a photo of it to your Vet? through text..or email?

The inside part looks concerning to me.
It's either a scab that's formed, or her skin,...or not really sure what it is?
It kind of looks greenish...but might be my computer filter.
(Is it grey or greenish? to you?)

Hiding is not normal as well.
I would definitely contact the Vet...just to make sure.
(the other members are probably right...and I just over worry..🤔.)

Please update us, tomorrow, when you can.
It was originally a light beige color but now looks more on the gray/black side. We’re thinking it may be where her hair has attached to it as she sheds a lot. I’ve tried to get some off but she does not like when we touch the area at all. I have no clue as to what it would be either. Thanks so much for your concern, I’ll post an update asap!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks pretty good to me. I don't know about the behavior, though. I was going to ask about the pain meds, but others have already raised that question.

The center grey section is funny-looking for a scab, if it is one. I'd not be alarmed, since it's not really angry-looking. Just ask your vet tomorrow.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
It was originally a light beige color but now looks more on the gray/black side. We’re thinking it may be where her hair has attached to it as she sheds a lot. I’ve tried to get some off but she does not like when we touch the area at all. I have no clue as to what it would be either. Thanks so much for your concern, I’ll post an update asap!
Oh, okay,...if it's a hair/fur fluff...then that might explain it.
But it does look odd to me.
If she will allow it...try to gently remove the fur fluff...from the incision site...in very small strands...just to see if it can come loose, easily,...without pulling the skin.

(Sometimes the Vets use surgical glue...to close the 'skin layer'...while using absorbable sutures for the inner abdominal layer, and subcutaneous fat/muscle layer.)
I've just never seen that colour before.

How old is your cat?
Can you post a photo of her front, for us to see, too.