Spay incision healing weird

Meldawn1111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 7 month old kitten got spayed a week ago and had dissolvable stitches and surgical glue. She’s been in an e collar the whole time except when I feed her and then I’m with her the whole time and put it right back on. It seems like a large scab has grown over the incision and part of it came off yesterday and there was a little blood, nothing too alarming. The vet, pics sent, said just to keep an eye on it. Now it’s been well over 24 hours and it looks like the entire area where there was a scab and glue is falling off and has some blood underneath. I sent over a pic this morning and have heard nothing back from the vet and of course now they’re closed and it’s Friday. I can’t seem to find any kind of info about scabbing and glue falling off like that and it’s got me worried. It’s not any redder or swollen or puss like or hot to the touch. She’s eating and acting normal. I’d attach pics but every time I look at her it looks different. Honestly if you think of a scab coming off, that’s what it looks like.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there any spots where the incision is opening? Or any drainage or seepage from it? I can't say for sure what is happening, would need a vet to do that, just a couple questions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meldawn1111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No seepage or draining and the incision isn’t opening as far as I can tell. It really just looks like a scab.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know about your kitty. Only a vet can tell you for sure. I did have two that had , what the vet called, a reaction to the stitches. The incision looked odd to me ( no drainage, no blood, slightly pink and the scab came off. The incision didn’t look entirely flat to me. Just struck me as a little off) and I had to push a bit to get them seen since it wasn’t obviously infected. They both ended up on antibiotics. I think you should keep calling the vet office. Many have someone present even if they aren’t open and they can let the vet know you called. Be persistent. It’s always better to have the vet check and , if nothing else, have them ease your mind. Leave messages and repeat until someone answers you. If the incision feels warm, shows redness or kitty developes a fever, get her to the vet somewhere. Cats don’t always show pain or discomfort. Another thing one of my cats did was to tuck her tail down. She tried to cover the incision with her tail. That let me know that it was irritating her. I hope kitty is fine. Please keep us updated.

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
No seepage or draining and the incision isn’t opening as far as I can tell. It really just looks like a scab
Scabs do fall off at some point, but no way to know if this is too soon- and incision glue does come off, and the internal stitches take awhile to dissolve- but that said keep trying the vet since they are there and can see it. Your concern needs to be addressed so yes keep trying!
I also had a kitten with a reaction to the stitches, a lot of swelling. Also, as above, increased redness, odor, drainage are signs of infection starting. Would need attention right away for that!
Let us know!

Meldawn1111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone. Luckily they have a clinic on Saturdays so I took her over this morning because the scab was coming off this morning and the incision was visible and looked bad, red and not all the way closed. They cleaned it, stapled her, and gave her a 14 day antibiotic shot to be safe. They weren’t sure exactly why it was that way but possibly an adverse reaction. So the poor baby is in that cone for another 14 days. She really hadn’t been too active, compared to normal with the exception of a few moments where I had to contain her. Overall she was chill so I let her roam in my room with a ramp access to my bed. But after this morning. I went to the pet store and got her a dog crate and set up everything she needs so no chance of running or jumping. She’s knocked over her water bowl 4 times and her litter box of shredded paper 3 times so far in 3 hours. It’s gonna be a long 2 weeks.

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I'm so glad they had a Saturday clinic! The crate sounds great. I've been in these shoes with a stitches reaction and it is a long time and not fun, but in the end it's worth it because it would be worse without containing her.
Also glad they could give her a shot instead of having to do pills.
If you can use a heavy bowl for her water that can help with the bowl knocking over, and not fill it too full but put water in when needed more frequently. Kittens are so active.
Happy she could get seen :hugs:

Meldawn1111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This poor baby had to go back today. Well she needed to go back anyway because she also had eye enucleation surgery when she was spayed and had to have her stitches removed. Thankfully her eye healed with no issues. But I asked them to check her spay incision again, which now has staples because again this morning it was looking bad. It was getting crusty again and definitely oozy. She’s been confined to a crate with her cone on 24 hours a day so this isn’t her doing. They sent me home with cleaning wipes and oral antibiotics. This is in addition to the 14 day shot she got two days ago. Ugh. My poor baby. Today was supposed to be the day her cone came off and she was free to play and roam again and now we’re back to square one. I feel so bad for her. She’s endured so much in her short life so far and I just want this to be over for her so she can begin to enjoy her new home!

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no sorry to hear. Poor poor baby. And poor you! It's so hard when they have these things. If she doesn't take pills well you can post again here for suggestions on how to do that to get the pills in her. Lots of people here have great ideas!
Hang in there! It will get better.
:hugs: :alright::grouphug:
And thank YOU for your good care!!!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What bad luck, usually spays go without a hitch. Let's hope she improves day by day and then can be naughty as she is supposed to be. Keep us updated.

Meldawn1111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She looked even worse this morning so instead of taking her back to the shelter where she got her surgery and aftercare/checkups, I took her to my regular vet. Boy do I wish I would have done that last week. They removed the staples and looked at the incision. Their opinion was that it wasn’t healing because there were two pieces of suture material sticking up through the incision. So they trimmed that back and glued her back up and said to keep her on the antibiotics. I’m happy she doesn’t have staples. They also said she’s healed on the inner layers so that’s great news. Hopefully this is the final answer and she can begin once and for all to finally get that incision to close! She seems in better spirits too. It probably feels better now.