Spay incicions

Katthewillow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone! My boyfriend and I this past Monday got our two 7yr old cats spayed. The vet wasnt able to get the cone on Nova, so shes been coneless and Ive been relentlessly watching her to make sure shes not licking it... hers actually looks better than silvias. Silvia has had a plastic e-cone on this whole time and they were both crated for the past four days. Today was the first time Ive let them out and they've been sleeping on the couch since. Nova has gone poop but silvia hasnt yet should i be concerned? I figure id wait until the end of today because Ive read it takes 3-4 days to have a bowel movement after surgery. Silvias surgery was a little more serious being that she had pyometra and although Nova was in heat the time of hers, i feel like Silvias was more intense. Im really concerned the most about silvia seeing as im pretty sure she popped a stitch with her cone trying to clean her legs.
IMG_20210722_142545091.jpg
IMG_20210721_173726839.jpg
Ive attached some pictures i just want to collectively figure out if i should be panicking as much as i am right now... i contacted my vet office and they told me to email a picture and i did and still havent heard anything and I did that yesterday. Thank you for your help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katthewillow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:. Silva pooped woooo

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Actually, those don't look too bad. There will be slight bleeding, slight puffiness, maybe bruising at the site, but only slight. Most of what I am seeing is serum, which is the part of the blood that has to do with scabbing and healing. And not pooping for several hours, sometimes a day, is not unusual after a general anesthetic. Your girls look good!

Katthewillow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Actually, those don't look too bad. There will be slight bleeding, slight puffiness, maybe bruising at the site, but only slight. Most of what I am seeing is serum, which is the part of the blood that has to do with scabbing and healing. And not pooping for several hours, sometimes a day, is not unusual after a general anesthetic. Your girls look good!
Update: silvia pooped! It is now day 5 and last night was the first night out of the crate and together and its a constant battle to stop nova from licking silvias incision... it looks like its stabbing nicely today but i also noticed a little swelling but no crazy redness or pus... shes on antibiotics because of the pyometra, not sure if that would help an outward infection... i know there are stitches inside too is that maybe what im seeing? Thank you for your response it made me feel so much better ive never dealt with anything like this and im exhausted and over thinking like a mad woman i just want them to be okay you know? Ive attached updated pictures. Thank you again!
IMG_20210723_092901158.jpg
IMG_20210723_092914526.jpg

Katthewillow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: silvia pooped! It is now day 5 and last night was the first night out of the crate and together and its a constant battle to stop nova from licking silvias incision... it looks like its stabbing nicely today but i also noticed a little swelling but no crazy redness or pus... shes on antibiotics because of the pyometra, not sure if that would help an outward infection... i know there are stitches inside too is that maybe what im seeing? Thank you for your response it made me feel so much better ive never dealt with anything like this and im exhausted and over thinking like a mad woman i just want them to be okay you know? Ive attached updated pictures. Thank you again!
View attachment 388871View attachment 388870
*crates

Katthewillow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: theyre doing good! Not sure if its just me and its not bad it just smells like a wound and ive noticed Nova has been tucking her tail is that normal? Im so paranoid about everything just hope its normal.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It isn't abnormal. She's still not feeling her very best. But they are doing well, from what you're describing!

Katthewillow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: its day 6. My boyfriend jake was supposed to watch them last night and he fell asleep for a bit and nova cleaned the scab off silvias incision... it looks a lot better clean it looks like both of them are healing really well but im really going to have to keep my eyes on them...Things are going well thouugh. Had made a onesie for Nova last night but i didn't get the dimensions right and she wasn't movin around well with it on although she was still able to eat drink sleep and use the bathroom just fine we ended up taking it off and when i came home at 4... we both had work this morning (jake came home after 3 hours to stay with them all day) so we had to do something i wasnt about to leave her in the crate for 3 hours with out anyway of stopping her from licking it. I dont have work until tuesday so that would be day 9 do you think they'd be okay by then to leave alone out of the crate or should we crate them when we go to work(we leave at 7, come home for lunch at 12 and we are home for the day by 4:30)?