Spasms while sleeping?

alex17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Caspian was sleeping on my lap about 10 minutes ago and I looked down and noticed he was having spasms on his face. I watched him for about 30 seconds to see if they would stop but they seemed to get worse. They became more intense and while continuing on his face, his legs also began to spasm. I've read about cats having dreams and reacting to them but its not the first time he's had them. This time is the worst I have ever seen though.

I began stroking him and gently talking to him and they got a little better and eventually stopped. What could these mean? The first few times he's had them (since they were very minor) I dismissed it as him reacting to something. These were much more intense than what I'm comfortable with. What could be causing this?

And literally as I was reading it over to post this he starting having them again in his face and front paws. They seem to not be as bad as the previous time though.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you sure they AREN'T dreams?  My cats "run" in their dreams all the time.  And one of them kind of "shivers" occasionally in her sleep.  I mentioned this to the Vet once, and she asked me some questions about it, but based on my answers, wasn't worried about it. 

Does he seem uncomfortable or in pain or anything, or just in a deep sleep?  If you think it's anything out of the ordinary, then I would contact my Vet.  Better to be safe than sorry.  Maybe you could at the very least give them a call?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alex17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the reply 

It very well could have been a dream. I may be over reacting. Caspian is my first cat along with my first pet that is completely mine so Im not very experienced. Im pretty sure he was not in any kind of pain because he looked very relaxed and just at ease. The more I think about it the more Im leaning towards it being a dream since as I started stoking him he seemed to calm down.

Tomorrow Ill give my vet a call just to be completely safe and Ill be sure to let you know what she says 

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does Caspian wake up and walk around just fine after these episodes? It sounds like something that just happens when he sleeps? Hopefully it's just a dream, but better to be safe than sorry with a vet call.

My cat Wiggies twitches sometimes in his sleep. He has actually had nightmares too when he wakes up crying.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alex17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes he is not harmed from them from what I can tell. And when I was brushing him yesterday I found some fleas on him :(. I called the vet and told her about it and I also told her about the fleas and she said he was probably just in a deep sleep and was naturally twitching in reaction to the fleas.

Is there any kind of vet given flea medicine that can be used on a 4 month old that you know of? Stupid me forgot to ask the vet while I was on the phone with her. She won't be open again until Monday and if y'all don't know of any ill probably just give him a dawn bath to get rid of them temporarily.