Spaska ate some "tape" for a lack of a better term

Joe_Danger1337

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was a string of sticky, transparent thin tape like plastic about 10cm long from a sticker she found somewhere, Ithought I had the sticker thrown out.
before I got to her she swallowed it last night, hasn't shown any issues so far, she swallowed it at around 10:30PM last night and pooped this morning at around 10AM, no string in her poop no nothing, she eats, drinks and behaves normally too.
My vets aren't overly worried tho they do say she needs to be monitored closely.
I asked my vets if there's blockage or if it gets stuck or entangled somewhere if they could ensure she wouldn't die or something and they said whatever happens, since I watch my cats like a hawk anyway I'm going to notice signs immediately and they can and will take care of it but they believe nothing is going to happen.

When this happened to Casper a year or so back, he just threw it right back up no problem.
Spaska seems completely unphased
She will be 6 months on the 1st and is a pretty small kitten for her age MO, tho she is of good weight for her size.

Any experience with duck tape or film/tape from stickers causing major issues?
I read both horror and comforting stories online
IMG_5811.JPG
I dunno why she picks up the dumbest of behaviors from Casper :)

I hope nothing happens to her, look at how gorgeous she is now
Spaska_13_November_2021-002.jpg Spaska_13_November_2021-001.jpg

It's reassuring that my vets aren't overly worried, because when this happened to Casper but with some sort of thin covering foul they did get very worried but Spaska shows zero signs of this thing being inside her, eats well, drinks, plays...so I dunno what to think.
The other day she pulled a metal string from soemwhere and a few scratches and bites later I was able to get it out of her mouth before she started swallowing it, this I could not get to her on time.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Geoffrey recently ate, at different times: the backing of a self adhesive envelope--the paper tab, and the packaging of a small Always feminine pad...

I panicked with the envelope tape... Called the Vet, they told me to watch and wait..
He eventually both vomited it up and passed a bit in his stool.. I gave him a ton of laxatone, to pass it..

With the plastic packaging: I did not even know he ate it, until I found it in a furball he vomited either that day or a day later...
He did have a decreased appetite with that one.. Again, more laxatone.

I would do as your vet suggested.. just watch and wait.. If you see any abnormal activity (gagging, excessive vomiting, not eating) I would call the Vet.. and take him in..

If it were my guy, I would give some laxatone--if you ahve it on hand, or some butter so he can pass it...
Good luck...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joe_Danger1337

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Spaska has a sensitive stomach so I wouldn't go so far as giving her laxatone, but butter is a great idea, thanks
She shows no signs tho.
Is it possible for this thing to be lodged inside her for months on end and for it to cause major health issues down the line or even kill her?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vaseline is good too, but most cats prefer butter. It is possible that it could lodge inside her, but let's hope for the best. 10 cm/4" is fairly long. If it causes any problem, the most likely outcome is that she'll throw it up.

Transit time through a cat's gut is claimed to be 10-24 hours. You probably should sort through her scat to check for the next couple of days. Not nice, I know, but it will clear up any questions if it shows up there.

Joe_Danger1337

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks
I don't mind going through it if it means my cat is healthy
All I care about is my cats' safely and health, so going through her poop is a nonissue for me
She shows no signs of anything being wrong tho, which makes me feel better
I'm going to hold off on giving her butter or anything she hasn't had until tomorrow in case it causes diarrhea because we won't know what the diarrhea is from if it happens, it could be from the object or food and I'd rather avoid that confusion. If it starts on its own then we'll know it got lodged somewhere

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
When Kate was a kitten (she is now 13) she ate a large piece of a shoelace. It came out the back end a couple of weeks later in one piece. These things do pass, but watch her as other have said. I would also watch for any usual posture, like meatloaf position, hunched over for more than would be a normal amount of time.

Joe_Danger1337

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's out!
Jesus this was stressful
She went and pooped like normal, and inside one of the poops, they were all chunky was this thing, real big in the form of a ribbon/ring completely intact but inside a poop
insane how the thing made it through her
I hope it didn't damage her organs.

I don't know how we're going to keep this one safe
All four of my cats tend to chew on ribbon and string type stuff I do NOT allow it but sometimes they get to this stuff but Casper and Spaska go straight for swallowing them

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for letting us know. I am so glad that it is out. While I am not a vet, I am guessing that if you found as big a piece as you did and that if it passed very quickly that is probably all of it. I have a couple who love anything like a Q tip, shoelace, string, ribbon etc and have had to adapt to this. You can probably rearrange a few things to keep them safe.

Joe_Danger1337

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had cats my whole life and my house is generally cat proof
but man, this one keeps finding things to put herself in danger with

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a forager that likes crinkly plastic. I don't think she eats it, but I keep throwing it away, even putting it down at the bottom, under everything in the trash and she keeps digging it out. So, I take it out in the garage and put it in the trash there. She still seems to manage to find some around the house. Once they get their mind set, it's hard to change it.

I buy her those crinkly plastic balls at the pet store, which I expect are safe. They're in a corner, collecting dust. She wants stiff wrapping plastic!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad it came out!! Hooray!! Now you can relax a bit.

I know what you mean about keeping them out of things. Geoffrey is so bad with plastic. I cannot leave anything having plastic out.. even if it is a mistake.

I swear he smells it from a different room! He come slinking in, grabbing the plastic bag with I am putting things away!! It is maddening...