Sparse Belly Hair

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So while attempting to get photos for this month's contest, I noticed Lelia's belly floof is not really there. To the point where I can see her rockin' tattoo.

0916192211a.jpg

Does this look like overgrooming? Normal hot weather summer shed? She doesn't seem stressed and usually has a happy tail, but my vet and I did discuss the possibility of a minor hyperthesia at her appointment back in July due to how twitchy she can be. She could be picking up on some of my wedding stress as well, but her behavior seems fairly stable and when I'm at home I don't particularly notice her grooming too much.

If she was developing an allergy, would she be losing hair everywhere, or is one spot patchiness a symptom? I may contact the vet, but just wanted opinions on if this was something I should watch for a while first. She got a clean bill of health over the summer, and if her belly hair was thin then (I honestly can't remember), the vet wasn't concerned.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So while attempting to get photos for this month's contest, I noticed Lelia's belly floof is not really there. To the point where I can see her rockin' tattoo.

View attachment 300767

Does this look like overgrooming? Normal hot weather summer shed? She doesn't seem stressed and usually has a happy tail, but my vet and I did discuss the possibility of a minor hyperthesia at her appointment back in July due to how twitchy she can be. She could be picking up on some of my wedding stress as well, but her behavior seems fairly stable and when I'm at home I don't particularly notice her grooming too much.

If she was developing an allergy, would she be losing hair everywhere, or is one spot patchiness a symptom? I may contact the vet, but just wanted opinions on if this was something I should watch for a while first. She got a clean bill of health over the summer, and if her belly hair was thin then (I honestly can't remember), the vet wasn't concerned.
A lot of cats' fur is thinner in that area, and that is normal for them. In Lelia's case, though, it does look and sound like she may be doing some barbering. Have you tried using Feliway spray or plug-ins in her environment to help her feel calm and serene?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got some feliway spray - I used to have a plug in but that ran out a long time ago. I'll give it a go, in case it's something she's doing when I'm not around. Sometimes I wonder if Sparkle stresses her out by chasing her/swatting sometimes, but at least half of the time, Lelia goes up to poke/provoke her first (the other half Sparkle is hangry).

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got some feliway spray - I used to have a plug in but that ran out a long time ago. I'll give it a go, in case it's something she's doing when I'm not around. Sometimes I wonder if Sparkle stresses her out by chasing her/swatting sometimes, but at least half of the time, Lelia goes up to poke/provoke her first (the other half Sparkle is hangry).
Feliway never hurts.