Sparkycat needs advice Again!!

sparkycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The litter of kittens that the stray cat on my farm had is doing so well, and getting so big. They are walking and they know me when I go into the garage to see them, it's almost like they are excited to see me. The runt of the litter...of course my favorite one has developed this lump on her face. It's on the right cheek and she has no whiskers or hair there just this lump and this black thing that looks like a scab by her nose. Any ideas on what it could be?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It *could* be a lot of things. It could be a bug bite, she could of gotten scratched, could it be a tick? Really without seeing it, no one can tell you what it is and be 100% certain they were right. I would suggest you call your local vet and describe it to him and ask his advice about what to do. Glad to hear the kittens are thriving- that is awesome.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sparkycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's not a tick, it may be a spider bite or something because it did just appear. I am taking them in tomorrow to have them looked at...momma included. My husband thinks she's starting to look like she's filling out again, I hope she isn't pregnant again but she did disappear those few nights for hours on end. I've heard that cats can hit a heat cycle right after having kittens....not so sure I like that idea.
I will let you guys know what I find out.

sparkycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay now the same lump appeared on one of the other cats...so we are definately heading to the vet today!!

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmmm....I wonder what the lumps are??? Let us know as soon as you find out.

Also, if momma cat is pregnant, they can neuter her anyway. It will likely be a tad more expensive, but it can be done if you are okay with the implications of that.

sparkycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well first things first...the bad news!! I went out to check on the kitties and one of them was dead. Of course it was my seven year olds favorite kitty so he is totally heart broken.
Anyway, I took the other three little ones into the vetthinking they had ringworm on those little faces, and he said that the lumps on their faces was a skin infection that they got from the mother most likley and that the kitten who died, died from the pnumonia that accompanies this infection sometimes. They have antibiotic drops twice a day and eye drops three times a day for their eye goop. I also dewormed the mother today...she wasn't happy about that!!
She still seemes to be really disasociated from her kittens. One of her babies dies and she didn't come running up tome to let me know something was wrong, she jumped in the box and sniifed it but then jumped right back out of the box. I thought animals were all about alerting you when something wasn't right. Not her! The three little ones checked out okay, I'm supposed to take them back next month for the distemper shot and then we'll decide which one we'll adopt into another house cat for the kids. The other two we'll try to place.

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about the death of one of the kittens. Hopefully, the medication will save the others.

Did you ask the vet to see whether momma cat is pregnant?

sparkycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I couldn't find her when it was time to go to the vet...typical that she'd decide to take off then. I asked him about it and he said that it was highly unlikely but if I wanted to bring her in when the kittens are 8 weeks he'll look and I can decide whether or not to have her spayed. Also he said that the infection the kittens have was likely spread through to the other batch of kittens out here that were born around the same time. Unfortunately they all died a couple of weeks ago, but that whole litter was wild. I am hoping that we can save the remaining kittens, I don't think my son can take another death. Our daughter is on vacation this week so we'll tell her when she comes home. We've got medicine, the momma's been wormed...we'll see how it goes. I'm going to start weaning the kittens in about a week possibly two so I can bring them in the house and start teaching them how to behave as house cats. I won't give them away to people who want an outdoor cat, only ones who want indoor. That is a totally different thread so I'll quit here.