Sparkly Kitty

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve read the article before but I’m wondering if there’s a way to find out just how uncommon it is. There’s a lady breeding her cats (one gave birth 3 times in 8 months last year) and thinks she can create a new breed just based off the satin. Btw I’ve been able to get better pics of the sparkle on my fosters over the past several days than this person has in the past 4 years.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve read the article before but I’m wondering if there’s a way to find out just how uncommon it is. There’s a lady breeding her cats (one gave birth 3 times in 8 months last year) and thinks she can create a new breed just based off the satin. Btw I’ve been able to get better pics of the sparkle on my fosters over the past several days than this person has in the past 4 years.
Your cat is beautiful but ugh stop that lady. That's ridiculous. Poor cat, 3 times in 8 months is like animal abuse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m trying. I really am. I need more info on the genetics behind it. I have screenshots of her saying she will breed her cat every heat cycle. It’s all very frustrating. Btw the kitten in the pics is a foster. He’ll be neutered before he goes to his forever home.

hortusgirlii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your cat is beautiful but ugh stop that lady. That's ridiculous. Poor cat, 3 times in 8 months is like animal abuse.
He sparkles. Any geneticists on here?
He sparkles. Any geneticists on here?
Sparkly kitties are quite rare, the most likely possibility is Bengal glitter mutation, after that there is spontaneous satin mutations that pop up. There have been 3 Satin Rex mutation discoveries, one in Tennessee, one close to first and likely related, and the third in Australia. The Australian discovery is in fact the same mutation, and may have been exported to AU , or spontaneously appeared. The American Satin hasn’t been confirmed to be a unique mutation, or has it been ruled out. It appears to be a spontaneous appearance of,either a new satin mutation or glitter.Here are some pictures of the Tennessee Rex satin mutation. In this case the satin is linked to Rex fur and always expressed as a recessive pleiotrophic mutation.

Attachments

Minnie1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been working on a breeding programme with a longhaired cat for about eight years now and have last season found satin i
20210924_104101.jpg
20210924_104048.jpg
20210924_103720.jpg
20210924_103902.jpg
n my kitten's. I suspect it has been there in my foundation cats (can see minimal satin), from the beginning but perhaps it is an accumulative gene like Glitter? Last seasons kittens have a very intense satin and the first litter of this season the kittens at four weeks old sparkle all over. I'm going to do further study myself but am also interested if anyone is interested in studying this. I am in New Zealand. Thanks.

Attachments

hortusgirlii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The American Satin is a breed in development with a sparkly coat. It may be glitter, as that is a domestic gene unrelated to Asian leopard used in the foundation of the Bengal breed. Bengal is the only breed so far using the glitter mutation. The first step to rule out glitter and prove it’s a unique mutation is a DNA test. Glitter is now available as a test option with the genetic cat coat tests.

hortusgirlii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can rule out the Tennessee Rex breeds satinrex mutation by looking at the whiskers. They are curly or fragile and broken. After that test breeding could prove if compatible or same as Tennessee Rex. Test breeding is only method to rule in or out that mutation as it has not been located yet. The Australian Satin and the Tennessee Rex mutation are compatible. Before this you can determine if the mutation is dominant or recessive by your breeding results.

hortusgirlii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been working on a breeding programme with a longhaired cat for about eight years now and have last season found satin iView attachment 396479View attachment 396480View attachment 396481View attachment 396482n my kitten's. I suspect it has been there in my foundation cats (can see minimal satin), from the beginning but perhaps it is an accumulative gene like Glitter? Last seasons kittens have a very intense satin and the first litter of this season the kittens at four weeks old sparkle all over. I'm going to do further study myself but am also interested if anyone is interested in studying this. I am in New Zealand. Thanks.
Lovely coats

Minnie1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The American Satin is a breed in development with a sparkly coat. It may be glitter, as that is a domestic gene unrelated to Asian leopard used in the foundation of the Bengal breed. Bengal is the only breed so far using the glitter mutation. The first step to rule out glitter and prove it’s a unique mutation is a DNA test. Glitter is now available as a test option with the genetic cat coat tests.
Thank you for your reply. I will test for Glitter but I do breed Bengal's also and they only have Glitter on the tips of their hair. The hair on my longhairs, unrelated to Bengal, its along the length of the hair and some hairs almost look transparent.

Minnie1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can rule out the Tennessee Rex breeds satinrex mutation by looking at the whiskers. They are curly or fragile and broken. After that test breeding could prove if compatible or same as Tennessee Rex. Test breeding is only method to rule in or out that mutation as it has not been located yet. The Australian Satin and the Tennessee Rex mutation are compatible. Before this you can determine if the mutation is dominant or recessive by your breeding results.
Their whiskers appear normal. I think I should be able to work out this breeding season if it is dominant or recessive.

hortusgirlii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In the USA there is a breeder working with a similar coat, you can find her by looking up American satin. Chris Kaelin is at University of Stanford he discovered the glitter gene, but you can find the test at many genetic labs. Before the test the Tennessee Rex breed could only prove we were unique by doing an a test breeding with a cat that had glitter. Glitter X Satin produced neither proving two different incompatible recessive mutations.

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In the USA there is a breeder working with a similar coat, you can find her by looking up American satin. Chris Kaelin is at University of Stanford he discovered the glitter gene, but you can find the test at many genetic labs. Before the test the Tennessee Rex breed could only prove we were unique by doing an a test breeding with a cat that had glitter. Glitter X Satin produced neither proving two different incompatible recessive mutations.
Yes, this seems like a relatively straightforward complementation test (which is what I assume is being described here, except with cat instead of drosophila breeding terminology, ha).
Have you read Chris's most recent paper? It tracked down the Ticked phenotype to A18V and C63Y LoF alleles in Dickkopf4 and determined it doesn't actually mask tabby markings like originally thought but rather disperses the pattern of Dkk4 expression such that there aren't any large solid dark regions in the coat.

hortusgirlii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I meant the kittens carried one copy of satin and one copy of glitter so neither was expressed. We haven’t seen any cat’s homozygous for glitter and satinrex so no idea how that would express. I don’t think they would cancel each other out though.I didn’t read Chris’s paper but I heard about the discovery and saw a less technical post discussing it. I have had some non ticked agouti cats that display no visible patterns on torso I’ve been curious about. They are a challenge to register when you can’t see the pattern.