South Louisiana Feral Rescue

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am posting in hopes of any of our members knowing of any resources for feral rescue and/or TNR in the Vidalia, LA or Natchez, MS area.

There are approx. 10-12 feral cats in what I now presume to be two small colonies.  An employee where we work at (a campground) for the winter has now involved the city to bring in traps.  The first of which was set this evening.  Unfortunately my attempt to cut a TNR deal with a local vet were dismissed.  He did refer me to a local TNR lady who does not have the funds for that many cats.  And on top of that she has no network of fosters which I would really prefer.

I have contacted the Humane Society in both Concordia Parish Louisiana and Adams County Mississippi, as well as the ASPCA all the way down to New Orleans but we are too far away, or the obvious, their shelters are overflowing so I'm at a loss as to whom I could possibly turn to next.

Our campground is undergoing some constructions changes that have apparently flushed Colony 2 out of their homes on the river banks and we are all now witnessing some serious cat fights for territory and food resources.

khy-sa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not in the area, but searching around the only shelter in the area I found was the Adams County shelter located in Natchez.

natchezpetadoptions.org

(601) 442-4001

If they say they lack the funding then you should refer them to this link : http://www.petsmartcharities.org/pro/grants/spayneuter-grants/free-roaming-cat-spayneuter-grants

Alternatively, you could contact your local vet and instead of striking a deal with them, have them apply for a TNR grant at the link above. That way the vet gets paid for the TNR project.

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Check out Spay BR... they have a number of great resources.  If the organizations can't help you themselves then perhaps they can recommend someone who can..  I've heard good things about the spay spa and CAAWS feral cat program as well, but not sure if they'll work outside of the parish.  Baton Rouge is only an hour and a half away from Vidalia.

http://spaybatonrouge.org/referrals

If none of those options work you say that traveling to New Orleans is too far, but it's less than a three hour drive from Vidalia to New Orleans.  the Louisiana SPCA located there will spay/neuter ferals for $25 to non-Orleans parish residents. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the additional resources to check out.

DuckDodgers -- my main problem is that we are seasonal camphosts here at this campground.  I don't have traps, etc. to do this.  I need experienced folks who can come in, with the right gear, get them sterilized, etc.  And accept a donation from me to help do so, all while I work on the campground owner's conscience to even let them be returned to this property.  When customers come into the office complaining about the noise, fights, etc. the owner just wants them gone, period.

Unfortunately also, we have had 2 other camphosts and 3 other customers who have reported a coyote on this property within the last 2 evenings so there has been no sign of any ferals.  I'm sure they are still around but no one has seen even one of them.