Sounds that get your cat's attention?

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  I got to thinking.......are there any noises in particular that will grab your kitty cat's attention?  

My Speedy is a 2 1/2 year siamese-calico mix and a sweetheart.  She can sleep through any noises the television may throw out there.  However, on a few occasions, I have noticed when there is a baby crying on tv, she will jolt awake and lift her head at full attention.  She will listen until the baby has stopped crying and go back to sleep and I wonder, was she in a home with a baby before she came to me?  Is it an irritating sound to her?  Is she concerned?  Is it a motherly instinct?  

What noise does your cat react and why do you think they do so????

nezumi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's probably irritating at first but I imagine hearing it on the TV might prepare a cat for a human baby. I bet real babies are pretty irritating for a cat.

Milo is currently purring in my ear while either grooming or eating my hair which is a bit distracting. Mine are instantly captivated by the sound of the fridge opening and the sound of anything rustling. Pretty straightforward. "Aha! A human has moved to feed me."

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One that NEVER fails to bring all cats running from every end of the house is the sound of a can opener! They come sleepy eyed and from whatever else they were doing. I always feel sorry for them when I'm opening a can of green beans for supper!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Absolutely any sound my husband makes in the kitchen causes Mogli to come running, because he knows his Daddy is a soft touch and dispenses snacks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Yes, I agree, the "feed me please" noises are the most harmonious to the cat, it seems.  Rustling, crinkling, ripping of bags (for ourselves or the cats) and the song of the canopeners have to be tops for cats!!  

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Absolutely any sound my husband makes in the kitchen causes Mogli to come running, because he knows his Daddy is a soft touch and dispenses snacks.
 Yep, that is Mouse and my current male lodger.....  Mouse knows a soft touch when he meets one and it seems these boys like to stick together!  

The only other thing to get an even faster response is the little rustles inaudible to me but presumably from the patter of little rodent paws...  I can see Mouse's ears spring forward and his posture transform in to dart mode in a split second when he senses there's a mouse about, and then he disappears to where ever the sound came from.  Usually the kitchen and the gap underneath the washing machine...

Oh, and lets not foget his treat tin being moved. 

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 A noise that UPSETS my cat is the doorbell.  She will crouch low to the ground and make an escape to the top of the stairs.  I think the next most upsetting noise to her is the vacuum cleaner.  I admit I do not know whether cats can hear better than they can see, but I am guessing their hearing is keener.

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our Bengals react to a lot of noises. They both know the sound of my wife's car and they trot to the door to greet her when she comes home from work. Our male, Makena, will growl and walk to the door if he hears the neighbor's dog in our yard. They both know the sound of the can opener (of course!) Makena knows the sound of my motorcycle and he gets very excited when he hears me come home.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first used my cat clock--it meows at the top of the hour--yea, the kind crazy cat people get as presents--my cat learned to jump up about three minutes before the hour and he'd sit there waiting for it. Now, it bores him.

He will sleep through police sirens when they used to terrify him, but if there are several he will look to me for confirmation all is well.

I've been told he knows when it's me coming up the stairs. He will of course , come running to the sound of a can opening. I've had to let him snuff the top of my coffee lid or else I'm the bad guy for eating his food, I think. He loves the sound of kids, and knows what "yum yum" means. He also gets pretty excited when I open the oven lol...the thing magically opens, so often, to the smell of chicken. [emoji]128521[/emoji]

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  Yes, it's amazing how cats have an instant response filed away in their head for specific noises (the car pulling in, the can opener, the sirens, the mice).  Amazing too, how they have many noises filed in their head with the instructions:  SLEEP RIGHT THROUGH!!!!!  Very smart creatures.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Sliding glass door!  When we first brought Zoe and Rico home as 3 month old kittens, we kept them indoors for some time before allowing them out to explore our yard.  They got SO anxious to go outside but we wouldn't let them.  They came to learn that when we opened the sliding glass door from the kitchen, that meant that Daddy and Mommy were going outside into the Great Outdoors!  They would come running from anywhere in the house to see if they could dash by and get outside, too.  

Now, five years later, even though they have a cat door and can come and go as they please, every time we open the glass door to the kitchen patio, they will come running so they can go out that special Magical Door to the Outside World.
   It's too cute.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  I can just picture them galloping to the door, they must think they are going on vacation!  Which reminds me, when I come in from the outside and the cat is right by the door waiting to dart out, if I make a shhhhhhhhoosh noise, she will back up and not go out.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

I can just picture them galloping to the door, they must think they are going on vacation!  Which reminds me, when I come in from the outside and the cat is right by the door waiting to dart out, if I make a shhhhhhhhoosh noise, she will back up and not go out.
It's true--like going on vacation!  For some reason, it's SO much more fun going out that door than going through their cat door.