Soulistic Fans - Please read this!

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy the dog size bag (cheaper and same as cat) for $22 at chewy.com and crumble the freeze dried chicken Purebites on top, it works every time!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I buy the dog size bag (cheaper and same as cat) for $22 at chewy.com and crumble the freeze dried chicken Purebites on top, it works every time!
I do this too. I get the bag from Amazon with my subscribe and save order. It fluctuates from $16-$20

It works most times in our house. Sometimes I use Orijen Cat & Kitten dry as a topper. I also will use a shredded/minced/sliced/cubed food as a topper to a pate and that works a lot. I have to mix things up a lot because they are so fussy.

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Careful going to Petco to have them ring up the canned food. I had to go grab more cans twice to meet the minimum $25 to have my $5 coupon applied. I had 12 lamb cans and 13 beef & salmon cans. Then I noticed the receipt said 14 & 14 of each cans. Good thing I caught that.

The gelee looks awful to me, but I'm so glad my cat is back to eating a little wet food. I did a little stocking up after all & have a new rotation: chicken & turkey, chicken & tuna, chicken & salmon, beef & salmon, and lamb. All Soulistic pate & shreds gelee. She doesn't like the plain chicken ones or the chicken & tilapia. I'll see how long it takes before my cat baby gets tired of these ones. I have to donate the other food she won't eat anymore.

Last edited:

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm aware of the health risks with feeding too much fish and I only buy the poultry ones and I read the label. The chicken pate and shreds one is excellent. There are also the chicken and gravy pouches and chicken and pumpkin cans.

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to try to avoid seafood because I read it was bad and my cat didn't like it. She stopped eating wet food. I tried different brands, but she wouldn't eat them until I found the gelee Soulistic and my cat will eat 6 flavors of it. She has never liked plain chicken. I tried 2 types of Soulistic chicken and she wouldn't eat either.

I used to check wet food labels, but I was just happy to get my cat back on some wet food. She's eating a little in the morning & a little at night, but it's not even 1/2 of a small 3 oz. can per day. After I toss the wet food after it's been out too long, I put out dry kibble for her to eat the rest of the time. She's a constant grazer and I don't think she can really be switched to twice a day since she just eats a little bit at a time. Knowing her, she would just eat a little when fed and then starve in between feedings.

Here's my question: Since Soulistic is putting tuna (& mackerel in one) into the chicken & turkey and lamb flavors and into even the chicken & salmon and beef & salmon flavors, is it fine to keep feeding my cat 1/2 of a 3 oz. Soulistic can with fish as a top ingredient along with her Petcurean dry kibble?

Last edited:

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to try to avoid seafood because I read it was bad and my cat didn't like it. She stopped eating wet food. I tried different brands, but she wouldn't eat them until I found the gelee Soulistic and my cat will eat 6 flavors of it. She has never liked plain chicken. I tried 2 types of Soulistic chicken and she wouldn't eat either.

I used to check wet food labels, but I was just happy to get my cat back on some wet food. She's eating a little in the morning & a little at night, but it's not even 1/2 of a small 3 oz. can per day. After I toss the wet food after it's been out too long, I put out dry kibble for her to eat the rest of the time. She's a constant grazer and I don't think she can really be switched to twice a day since she just eats a little bit at a time. Knowing her, she would just eat a little when fed and then starve in between feedings.

Here's my question: Since Soulistic is putting tuna (& mackerel in one) into the chicken & turkey and lamb flavors and into even the chicken & salmon and beef & salmon flavors, is it fine to keep feeding my cat 1/2 of a 3 oz. Soulistic can with fish as a top ingredient along with her Petcurean dry kibble?
Kibble and fish are highly addictive to cats. I would say it's better than no wet food at all, try to choose the cans that aren't exclusively fish. I'll let you in on a little secret. Rosie is a nibbler and I don't feed her any dry food. I leave the wet food for her to free feed. I throw it away after several hours when I'm home and the days I work it's out all day. I have had her for 13 years and never had a problem leaving the wet food out. Past generations of cat owners in my family have left wet food out all day. Not one cat ever got sick from this. I worry about the health risks of feeding dry kibble more. Dr Lisa Pierson www.catinfo.org has said that she has routinely left canned food for up to 12 hours for rescue cats. No issues. Cats know when food is no longer good enough to eat instinctively and their acidic stomachs effectively kill bacteria. Sometimes cats in the wild don't finish their prey in one sitting and save it for later. It's up to you. Some people would rather be safe than sorry but free feeding dry food is a bigger danger in my opinion. Dry food is also full of bacteria. It's been sitting on those shelves for who knows how long. Canned food is cleaner than dry. Raw food on the other hand should not be left out long. I wouldn't leave out raw for more than an hour.

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise
M moggiegirl Thanks! I have somewhat similar thinking about wet food, but my room is very hot, so I throw out my cat's wet food after a while. I did quick reading on tuna in a cat's diet. Since it's bad, I'll keep feeding my cat some Petcurean kibble every day and 1.5 oz or less of the Soulistic gelee cans every day.

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I ended up returning all the Soulistic wet food I stocked up on because I was worried my cat baby is allergic. I noticed bumps on her and took her for a vet visit. Might be fleas, but just in case, I've stopped with the Soulistic because I don't like some of the ingredients. Also, really don't like the tuna in almost every can after I checked the ingredients.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I ended up returning all the Soulistic wet food I stocked up on because I was worried my cat baby is allergic. I noticed bumps on her and took her for a vet visit. Might be fleas, but just in case, I've stopped with the Soulistic because I don't like some of the ingredients. Also, really don't like the tuna in almost every can after I checked the ingredients.
I only buy non fish varieties of that food, they make a lot of fish formulas!

kitlit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes. Almost every flavor contains tuna and the print on the cans is very small.

caroline42

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
the problem is that she doesnt like chicken ,and i feel bad to give her lamb  and rabbit, .. (

i give her the beef and she likes it but i have to say it is 90percent sea food

kitlit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are a lot of premium brands offering Turkey and some companies are also offering Duck. Nulo has a good Beef and Lamb Dinner also.

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it was mentioned already, but I've found 2 Soulistic flavors that don't contain any fish- Good Karma chicken & gravy and the Chicken & pumpkin one.  Mine's had the Good Karma one and she loves it more than any other food she's tried so far. Very healthy ingredients compared to most other brands out there too, but I do wish there were more flavors without fish.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I don't know if it was mentioned already, but I've found 2 Soulistic flavors that don't contain any fish- Good Karma chicken & gravy and the Chicken & pumpkin one.  Mine's had the Good Karma one and she loves it more than any other food she's tried so far. Very healthy ingredients compared to most other brands out there too, but I do wish there were more flavors without fish.
I don't feed fish, my cats eat Aromatic Chicken in gelee, Chicken Dinner in Gelee pate & shreds, Autumn Bounty Chicken Dinner in Pumpkin Soup Pouches

jjc1140

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this an old thread but ran into because I was trying to find a way to order Soulistic online. Not to mention, it kind of irritates me when people say that fish CAUSES kidney disease or INCREASES THE RISK of kidney disease. OR that it INCREASES THE RISK OR CAUSES renal or urinary stones... I won't even go on my lengthy rampage of our the kidneys along with the urinary system work and the discussion on renal stones and renal disease. There is so much misleading information on the internet that people circulate. A cat that already has renal disease is completely different than a cat that has healthy kidneys. Fish doesn't increase the risk of that disease but if a kidney is in failure then there are things you have to monitor and regulate because the kidney HAS FAILED THEREFORE doesn't excrete everything like it is,suppose to. Which leads other imbalances in the body with other organs like the parathyroid gland that regulates calcium, phospherous and vitamin D synthesis. Your kidneys only job isn't to filter the blood. And fish don't make the kidneys fail. Neither does phospherous, calcium, or magnesium. Before you automatically assume fish is bad for the urinary system first understand the urinary system. First, know what their functions are and how the body stays in homeostasis. Fish has nothing to do with it. The studies that have correlated with hyperthyroidism are also misleading and I will have to get on my laptop to make my claim and explain why. Explaining why requires me to explain how these organs work and how they work with each other. It also requires me to explain what they are not telling you in these claims. There has been no scientific evidence supporting fish cause hyperthyroidism at all.

bellegirl6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is 6, half Bengal and half Scottich Fold.  She has always been very finicky until I discovered Solstice.  She just loves it,it has changed her entire personality.  She never, ever liked chicken, beef or turkey.  Always fish, tuna, anchovy.  Currently I give her Solstice Tuna, Salmon and gravy, which she literally devours in a matter of seconds.

Should I decide to switch her to raw food. any suggestions?

I will try to get her onto some chicken with gravy,  I think Fussie Cat has a chicken with gravy and anchovy.....

Anyadvice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Laura

kitlit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would try to establish a grain free canned rotation diet encorporating chicken, turkey, duck,pork rabbit and lamb. I would try to eliminate fish unless your cat will accept canned foods of sardines or herring. Lamb, rabbit and pork along with all poultry are great alternatives to seafood. Try to establish a rotation diet including these great proteins.

The more grain-free flavors, protein sources, brands and recipes they will accept, the better. We have to deal with recalls, shortages and recipe reformulations on a weekly basis. The broader their menu, the better chance that they will tolerate tweaks and substitutions to their eating regimen. Cat parents are being stressed out and confused by all of the new nutritional data and products. We need to prepare our furry charges to be able to accept menu changes and adapt.

Last edited by a moderator: