Soulistic Fans - Please read this!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, @Kat0121, that brings back childhood memories! My mother used to make a Jello salad for Thanksgiving and I had to help make it and then eat it and pretend to like it. It was, of course, molded (we had individual molds) and it was made with lemon Jello and ginger ale. I did not like it. I hated it. Given the choice, I might even prefer the meat stuff people tried to get me to eat in Russia.

I guess this explains why I never liked feeding our previous cat that Soulistic Aromatic Chicken!

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't even tell you how relieved I am to find this thread. My little 1 1/2 year old Sir Edison just had a urinary tract blockage removed. He is a long-haired domestic - possibly Norwegian Forest Cat - and has never had problems before. The only thing that changed about any part of his life is that two weeks ago Petco ran out of the green can (Chicken with gravy) Soulistic cans, and I picked up their Turkey with Gravy (a new flavor - red can with blue accents) instead.

I'm just now realizing that this "Turkey with Gravy" has tuna as the second ingredient like you stated. He is the happiest, healthiest cat ever, and this was quite a scare. I will never buy any other Soulistic than the green cans, although now it won't be his main meal, but I will mix it with the urinary tract health food he was given by the emergency vet clinic.

Thank you so much - we've been trying to figure out what happened for days and days, and this seems and feels like the most obvious reason he had a blockage. His x-ray showed no other build ups or stones, so it's recent and I fully believe it's because of the food with so much tuna in it.

So grateful to you!!
Does he get any dry food, that is more likely the culprit if he does

korlia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes it is. I grabbed a few of them by accident once because the can looks a lot like the Harvest Sunrise. Ew. Mine ate it but they didn't like it as much as they like the ones in the broth like gravy. That gelee is gross :nausea:
I have 2 cats, both very picky on what they eat. This brand is the only one I've found where they will eat several different flavors (I stick mostly to the chicken, duck, lamb, Turkey). I myself have picked up the stuff in 'glee', I find that mixing it with some warm water or broth works well. I have one cat that likes the glee and the other just tries to bury it.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy Soulistic for my cat Marty most flavors I got didn't contain fish I did buy a few that had fish in it thou

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
My two boys are the only ones here that like the Soulistic. Pea-Pea likes to eat a tiny bit but that's it. I have Upstream Dream which is like the jello mold up above. Oscar in particular likes to take it out of the bowl, which is easy since it's so solid, and gnaw at it while holding it between his paws. I guess the little tiny bit of feral in him from his first few weeks of life comes out then!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two boys are the only ones here that like the Soulistic. Pea-Pea likes to eat a tiny bit but that's it. I have Upstream Dream which is like the jello mold up above. Oscar in particular likes to take it out of the bowl, which is easy since it's so solid, and gnaw at it while holding it between his paws. I guess the little tiny bit of feral in him from his first few weeks of life comes out then!
And there's the thing: it's good for cats that like to play with their food! [emoji]9786[/emoji]

tom driscoll

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have NEVER heard of oceanfish hurting an adult or animal.

I think the former poster means too much TUNA.

They reason seafood is "pushed" is its low in CARBS; help

to diabetic or overweight animals.  I'd do more research before

quitting OCEANFISH flavors.

kitlit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes! I purchased one can of Soulistic Duck and one can of Lamb. When I got home and read the fine print, I discovered that the first ingredient in each was tuna broth and the third ingredient in each was tuna. I find this terribly misleading. I have made every effort to eliminate grains and tuna from my cats" diets. It has been a slow painful process.  I totally don't appreciate Soulistic sneaking tuna into their recipes and not stating it clearly on the front of the label.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I totally don't appreciate Soulistic sneaking tuna into their recipes and not stating it clearly on the front of the label.
Unfortunately you can't go by what's on the front of the label, you must read the ingredient list to determine what the food consists of.  Soulistic isn't the only company to state one thing on the front of their labels only to have other proteins listed in the ingredient list.  For e.g.,  on the front label of Halo's Vigor, "Rabbit and Garden Greens" in actuality has chicken in the ingredient list; Authority's canned "Beef Recipe" has both chicken and ocean fish in the ingredient list;  Hound & Gatos canned "Rabbit" consists of a whopping additional five proteins listed in the ingredients - quail, duck, turkey, pork and lamb. 

I could make a list as large as the Great Basin Desert of pet food companies that do this, Weruva's Soulistic line is not an anomaly. I'm not condoning this, of course it's misleading, hence the necessity of reading the ingredient list (and that isn't always entirely accurate either but that's a topic for another discussion).

kitlit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When TWO out of the first 3 listed ingredients are tuna products, that's blatant deceit. I'm sure Soulistic's legal department has this fully researched to comply with industry standards.The small print on the back of cans is difficult to read even with eyeglasses. I will be making the 18 mile trip to Petco to return these 2 cans as a matter of principle and have posted a poor review on their website.

kitlit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
These 2 new flavors list tuna broth as the first ingredient and tuna as the third.

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm shocked my very picky cat baby actually likes the Soulistic chicken & turkey pate & shreds in gelee. It smells awful and looks awful. She even ate the leftover portion today after I microwaved it to warm it up. I'll try some other flavors, but I won't stock up because she seriously stops eating the wet food as soon as I stock up. Each and every time!

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
My super fussy girl has chicken dinner (no fish) in gelee every morning(blue can). Then she gets Merrick rabbit or duck or beef for dinner. It all gets eaten in 10 minutes.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm shocked my very picky cat baby actually likes the Soulistic chicken & turkey pate & shreds in gelee. It smells awful and looks awful. She even ate the leftover portion today after I microwaved it to warm it up. I'll try some other flavors, but I won't stock up because she seriously stops eating the wet food as soon as I stock up. Each and every time!
Mine like this food too. They like the duck and the lamb versions as well. These are on sale at Petco right now. In store and online. .79 for the 3 ounce cans and .99 for the 5.5 ounce cans

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
soulistic is one of the few brands my one cat will eat. I only feed the non fish varieties, and I only feed the ones that are lower in carbs, so there are like 4 kinds I can choose from. I buy the aromatic chicken by the case & chop it up real good & add a little natures variety instinct to it & whala, dinner or breakfast is served.

It's a good brand, I'm glad they're around but I wrote weruva & told him it would be nice if there were other proteins available besides fish & chicken. hopefully they'll come up with an all duck or an all rabbit or something different in the future.

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kat0121 Kat0121 Thanks. If you go into Petco before 9/5th and buy something, you'll get a $5 off coupon for a purchase over $25 to use starting 9/6th.

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
My super fussy girl has Soulistic chicken dinner (no fish) in gelee every morning(blue can). Then she gets Merrick rabbit or duck or beef for dinner. It all gets eaten in 10 minutes.

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
I just ordered 32 cans of pate shreds chicken dinner in gelee on sale and free shipping with code laborday at Petco.com!

Last edited: