Sothe Cat Won't Let Me Sleep!

Rachelmarie1231

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A little background:
We adopted our dear little Flo about a week ago now. She is a DSH mix, about a year old. Immediately following picking her up from the shelter, we took her to our local vet. She was diagnosed with an URI and given oral antibiotics and topical eye ointment prophylactically. Her spay incision site looked a little funny, so the vet thought the abiotic would help with that as well. Once at home, we confined her to a bathroom with a litter box, food/water, toys, and hiding boxes in order to get comfortable with her space before letting her out into the apartment. Unlike most cats, after only about 12 hours, she wanted to explore. We cracked the door and allowed her to explore at her own pace. It was at this time that we first noticed some serious clingy behavior. She follows us into every room.
The problem:
My husband and I love the cat dearly, but are both new nurses working 12 hour shifts... and the cat won't let us sleep. Currently, she is sleeping in our bed at night because we are working days. Through the night she lets us sleep, but at about 4-5 every morning she starts doing everything in her power to wake us. I'm unsure if she does this because she still isn't feeling super well from the URI, or if she simply wants attention. She kneads heads and stomachs, rubs her head all over your face, and even just stands in top of you. It is causing a major stressor in our lives. On top of that, it is rather unsafe to be exhausted while trying to save lives. Here in a couple weeks we will be switching permanently to night shift, which is one of my main concerns. I'm so afraid that during the day when we desperately need sleep, she is going to pull this attention seeking behavior. Also, my husband and I will not always work the same shift. Meaning one of us will be wide awake in the other room while the other is trying to sleep from the previous shift in the bedroom. With the current behaviors miss Flo has, we will not be able to shut her out of the bedroom and try to allow the other to rest. This is a major problem. So ultimately, I think maybe training her to leave the door alone when shut and not allowing her to sleep with us may be best (opinions welcome!). We have read just about every other forum pertaining to training a cat to let you sleep, even Jackson Galaxy's posts and videos. I'm posting this today though because I feel as if our Flo is a special case and has thrwarted all attempts to break her of this.
What We Have Done So Far:
1. She has a plethora of toys to play with during the day. Stimulating toys that she can play with herself too. She really only likes to play with a wand and string toy with someone else.
2. She has vertical spaces via a cat tree, bookshelf, and bar height dining room table. She refuses to use the cat tree.
3. We ignore all attempts to wake us, but eventually have to get out of bed to get ready for work.
4. We tried locking her out of the bedroom altogether, but she cries at the door and rips up the carpet from under the door. Even after letting it go for a solid 15 minutes, she doesn't quit and I have to open the door for the carpet's sake.
5. We feed two meals and one snack a day. One meal at 6:30a, one snack at 8p, and one meal at 10ish (or right before bed). We know this isn't ideal and have been considering a timed feeder since we are gone for so long in the day. We want to stay away from munching all day (per Jackson Galaxy), but Flo does this on her own. After we feed breakfast, when we get home 12 hours later there is still a tiny bit of food in the bowl. Also, after we feed dinner and the snack, there is enough food in the bowl for her breakfast the next day (one of the reasons I know she isn't waking us in the morning because she is hungry). This leads me to believe she grazes all day.
6. We always make time to play with her (several hours a day) on our days off, and at least 30 minutes before bed on the days we work. Same goes for petting and brushing.
7. The litter box is always clean before we go to sleep.
8. We even tried on our days off to keep her active during most of the day and waking her during her usual nap times. This only seemed to make matters worse.
Help!:
So basically, we have a clingy kitty that loves to be around us. My husband and I feel as if we have been doing everything in our power to help her behviors and teach her to allow us to sleep, but nothing has changed. We are indifferent to her sleeping in the bedroom, but can't just shut her out because of the carpet ripping/door scratching behavior. We are considering a times feeder, but want to know opinions. We are open to any suggestions at all as we are new to cat parenting. I apologize that this post is so long, but I just wanted to paint a picture of Florence so that I could get the best advice possible for her! Thank you!

madzoya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Rachel,

I'm on the same boat as you. Hopefully someone will give us some pointers and help us get our kitties to let us sleep.

I ordered an automatic feeder today, because Bruce does give us trouble at food times. I'm hoping by solving the feeding problem, the other ones will follow suit.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
We had a carpet ripper years ago and thwarted her with a piece of that plastic runner mat people use for shoes and in model homes. The one we got was a bit wider than our door and had little plastic nobs on the back so it couldn't slide on the carpet. We slit a bit off each side and slid it under the door. We could walk on it, but she could't get to the carpet to scratch. It looked a bit silly, but saved the carpet and we only needed it down for a month or so before she just didn't bother scratching the carpet.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am nocturnal. Cats are infamous for waking up their people 1-3 hours early for food. I feed my guys wet food at 6pm never in the morning. On the show my cat from hell the family had a similar problem. What worked for them was waking up and doing the same things every morning and then feeding the cat after for example they ate breakfast or made coffee. So your cat learns coffee maker = food, not waking you up = food. Good luck, I wish I had a quick easy solution for you guys.

madzoya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We tried that. Bruce isn't very flexible though. As we experienced, he can meow loudly from 5 to 7 am, every single day. If he wants food he will drive you crazy until he gets it! We really tried since we got him in January. We really did. We would be awake in bed until it was time to get up, while he begged his heart away. We tried to be as stubborn as he is, to no avail.

I gave up last week. I can no longer hear him and not sleep since 5am almost everyday of my week. I can no longer have him jump on me or my husband at six am, to wake us up. It's easier to get up, get him fed and back to bed, where he will climb contently after eating and sleep with us until it's time to get up.

Oh, and this weekend he learnt to scrathch the bedroom door. We have a rental. I cannot have him destroying doors.

It's going to be fun these teenage years!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL I think your cat is training you. They always joke about that. I hope things get better. If you want to be mean you could open your door and squirt him with a water bottle when he wakes you; then close your door and ignore him until 7. (I know I know people say squirt bottles are evil. A penny can though is going to wake her poor husband up.) I know dry food isn't the best and all that but in your case, maybe leave him some healthier dry food before you go to sleep along with interactive toys you rotate? My guys free feed all the dry food they want and now I'm trying to get them to eat more wet food. So maybe just a handful or a handful in the automatic feeder? It is kinda like feeding your kids frosted flakes but you really need sleep.

madzoya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry Rachelmarie1231 didn't mean to hijack your post.

Oh water... Doesn't work with Bruce. He is a water cat and will happily play with the squirt. This morning I found him sitting in the tub, after my husband took a shower. He dripped my entire bathroom afterward.

He has free range of dry food all day long (the best I can get him, and that was suggested by his veterinarian). It's the wet food hours that kill us. It's not like the guy is starving... It's just that he wants his wet food, then and there. 6 am, 7pm and 10pm. These are his hours and nothing we tried changes them.

Closed doors don't work anymore because of the scratching and the noise.

And don't get me started on toys, as Bruce as them all. We're trying rotating now, but he really only likes mouse like toys that he can tose in the air and chase. For an entire time of 2 minutes before he gets bored. Then he comes and wakes us up to play with him.

We've ordered a food dispenser for wet food. Maybe that will help. I really hope so.

And I know he is training us. He is very demanding, but I'm a softy too. I feel he is bored half the time, and that he has all this pentup energy. In my heart I feel like he needs a brother or sister, but there's no conditions for that, and my husband would never allow it.

Really need to play with him more to get him tired at night, but sometimes there isn't enough hours in the day.

He is not an easy kitten, but we love him to pieces.