SOS vomiting thick saliva and hacks but nothing comes out

synthia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, my cat isn’t feeling well, hoping you all can help me.
*he does the motion as if he’s going to throw up but nothing comes out last 2 days it’s bern
*he is struggling to swallow, not too bad but I notice it
*he isn’t as vocal as usual, when he tries no sound comes out or it’s a deep sound
*he’s been hiding in the closet or big boxes
*** we adopted a new kitty almost 2 weeks ago, he’s not that thrilled….
*he’s not eating as much but still eats and drinks water…
*usually goes outside for an hour or two, but it’s been 115 in Arizona so I’ve kept him in.
*gave him a bit of coconut oil which he loves thinking mbe if it’s a hairball he will hack it, nothing yet.

Just not sure what it can be. It’s been 5-6 days….

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I would rule out the new kitten as being the root of the problem. Cats who are angry at a newcomer act different or act out against the new cat. This sounds like gagging, as if something is stuck in his throat and you need to get him to a vet. This may not be something you can see, but even a small obstruction will cause those actions. Even if it is not that, he has enough serious symptoms to warrant a vet visit. If this gets really bad, you are going to need the ER.

Catwoman1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I wanna ask when your cat does this does he stick his head up in the air looking like he going to sneeze kind of position before making this awe full noise. If he does that is not hair ball or vomit thing that is a cough he may be having a anxiety attack which calming collars work great which is the first thing most people go out and get if he has one on it could be that collar he may be allergic to it and idk if you know this but coconut oil will make your cat ill if to much is ingested I know I put on a calming collar on my 1 yr old cat to introduce our new kitten first 3 days was a doozie they are besties now but now she has this horrible cough which I thought was her trying to hack up a hair ball today I removed the collar in hopes it will get better and hasn’t so I made a vet appt a cough and hair ball look and sound almost the same but how to tell a difference is how they hold their head a cough is nose to the air and a vomit or hair ball is a chin tuck is what I call it hope this is helpful

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all, my cat isn’t feeling well, hoping you all can help me.
*he does the motion as if he’s going to throw up but nothing comes out last 2 days it’s bern
*he is struggling to swallow, not too bad but I notice it
*he isn’t as vocal as usual, when he tries no sound comes out or it’s a deep sound
*he’s been hiding in the closet or big boxes
*** we adopted a new kitty almost 2 weeks ago, he’s not that thrilled….
*he’s not eating as much but still eats and drinks water…
*usually goes outside for an hour or two, but it’s been 115 in Arizona so I’ve kept him in.
*gave him a bit of coconut oil which he loves thinking mbe if it’s a hairball he will hack it, nothing yet.

Just not sure what it can be. It’s been 5-6 days….
Go to dvm asap. It sounds like something is stuck in his throat to me what you have described.

Catwoman1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok I have been surfing this site for a issue I have with my own kitties and came across a thread similar to yours but this cat had 2 thing wrong with hers one was her cat had swollen eye which I hope yours don’t so moving on to the next issue she had with her cat was the same was first coughing or vomiting nothing come up but had the same mucas or saliva issue as your cat does so I looked up what she said her cat was confirmed with on wiki and it sounds like lung worms which is treatable so wondering when was the last time you de wormed your cat for all worms including lung worm so a trip to the vet is needed but if you can’t afford one right now you could call the vet and ask them for the wormer or if it’s available over the counter call and ask which ones the best to get severe infections may take a while to clear up and will need a extra week which is why you should take your cat to the vet because the only way to make sure your cat is clear from infection is by the vet checking it’s stools because they cough them up and swallow them

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

synthia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone thanks for responding…
I did take him to the vet, I’m kind of disappointed because I don’t feel like they did much even tho they were highly recommended 🥲
This is the 2nd time I change vets.
basically Vet said she looked down throat and nothing seems stuck there…
Of course suggested xray and blood work. I’m currently unemployed so even the $170 bill was a lot for me right now..
she prescribed a cerena for nausea
Sucralfate to coat esophagus
And did an SQ ivy for dehydration…
My cat still has no voice, vomiting did stop, he doesn’t seem to struggle to swallow and eats half of what he is used to. I’ve been giving him pedialite daily.
My concern is his lack of voice ……

here’s the head scratching part, a couple of days later my other cat started with same!!!! Giving her pedialite (vet said I could share same meds with her as well Altho not enuf for both) her voice is still GONE…

2 things I can think of:
*They got into a synthetic tree I had and possibly swallowed a few glass blades (I saw a couple of them thrown up when I came back from being gone a couple of days) OR
*my boyfriend has been vaping for last 2 weeks….(FYI he is now only vaping outside)
COULD THESE BE CAUSING BOTH SAME PROBLEM?
Appreciate all your comments!!!! 😻😻

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
E-cigarettes and Pet Safety

First of all, I am not trying to pin this on your boyfriend. The article even starts out by saying that enlightened people have tried to get away from tobacco. No one knew any better in your case. However, while it might be safer, as you say, if he uses these outside, it does not rule out the glass or tree. However, I assume that your vet would have been on top of a foreign object(s) that had been ingested. Yes, it is really odd that it is both cats; did the second cat show all the same signs as the first or just the loss of the voice?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry your dvm has not figured this out and I hope the meds help both your kitties. Maybe try some steam with a vics vaporizer? But only with steam, do not add in any menthol, oils etc as they are bad for cats and dogs etc. Vaping is very bad for people as well so it should not be done at all and certainly for small pets etc. it is a big hazard. I think it could have affected both of them. As far as the tree etc. has the dvm ruled out ingestion of that as a possible cause?
Here is an article about cat laryngitis and other issues.

Laryngeal Disorders in Cats - Cat Owners - Merck Veterinary Manual

synthia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
E-cigarettes and Pet Safety

First of all, I am not trying to pin this on your boyfriend. The article even starts out by saying that enlightened people have tried to get away from tobacco. No one knew any better in your case. However, while it might be safer, as you say, if he uses these outside, it does not rule out the glass or tree. However, I assume that your vet would have been on top of a foreign object(s) that had been ingested. Yes, it is really odd that it is both cats; did the second cat show all the same signs as the first or just the loss of the voice?
Thanks, pretty much all symptoms except the struggling to swallow.
They had been going outside for a few minutes a day for past 6 months.. because it got too hot I kept them inside since like 3 weeks now.
i got them wheatgrass but so far I haven’t seen them eating it to clean their tummy’s,so still perplexed

synthia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am sorry your dvm has not figured this out and I hope the meds help both your kitties. Maybe try some steam with a vics vaporizer? But only with steam, do not add in any menthol, oils etc as they are bad for cats and dogs etc. Vaping is very bad for people as well so it should not be done at all and certainly for small pets etc. it is a big hazard. I think it could have affected both of them. As far as the tree etc. has the dvm ruled out ingestion of that as a possible cause?
Here is an article about cat laryngitis and other issues.

Laryngeal Disorders in Cats - Cat Owners - Merck Veterinary Manual
Thank you meowmee, will read article.
Vet just said she saw deep down and didn’t see an obstruction. They are also eating well.

synthia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok I have been surfing this site for a issue I have with my own kitties and came across a thread similar to yours but this cat had 2 thing wrong with hers one was her cat had swollen eye which I hope yours don’t so moving on to the next issue she had with her cat was the same was first coughing or vomiting nothing come up but had the same mucas or saliva issue as your cat does so I looked up what she said her cat was confirmed with on wiki and it sounds like lung worms which is treatable so wondering when was the last time you de wormed your cat for all worms including lung worm so a trip to the vet is needed but if you can’t afford one right now you could call the vet and ask them for the wormer or if it’s available over the counter call and ask which ones the best to get severe infections may take a while to clear up and will need a extra week which is why you should take your cat to the vet because the only way to make sure your cat is clear from infection is by the vet checking it’s stools because they cough them up and swallow them
Thank you, I take them for their yearly shots but don’t recall deworming as one….
will check with vet to see what she thinks.

synthia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I wanna ask when your cat does this does he stick his head up in the air looking like he going to sneeze kind of position before making this awe full noise. If he does that is not hair ball or vomit thing that is a cough he may be having a anxiety attack which calming collars work great which is the first thing most people go out and get if he has one on it could be that collar he may be allergic to it and idk if you know this but coconut oil will make your cat ill if to much is ingested I know I put on a calming collar on my 1 yr old cat to introduce our new kitten first 3 days was a doozie they are besties now but now she has this horrible cough which I thought was her trying to hack up a hair ball today I removed the collar in hopes it will get better and hasn’t so I made a vet appt a cough and hair ball look and sound almost the same but how to tell a difference is how they hold their head a cough is nose to the air and a vomit or hair ball is a chin tuck is what I call it hope this is helpful
Wow this is very helpful! No they aren’t wearing calming collars. He actually has been very chill with the new kitten… kittie and he get up very close and nose bump.
It’s my other one that is too jealous and can’t stand new kitty (another situation going on at home 🥺)

Attachments

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you meowmee, will read article.
Vet just said she saw deep down and didn’t see an obstruction. They are also eating well.
You're welcome. They could need a steroid or inhaler if it is from the vaping too.

Catwoman1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you looked up reverse sneezing in cats if you haven’t go check it out on you tube my cat was doing it and I thought she was coughing this whole time but it was a sneeze 🤧 vet had showed me it when explaining and she also showed me what a asthma attack was as well yes cats do get asthma just like humans