SOS! PLEASE HELP!

BrandNewKittyMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm a new cat owner, and since I've always wanted a cat, I was so excited to get midnight. But she recently picked up a habit of licking, then taking hold of my face with her teeth and claws. She has drawn blood twice in the past 5 days and I just dont know what to do. The second time just happened and I was asleep! I dont want to declaw her, I know that's bad, but I'm stuck right now. Shes sweet most of the time, then just gets violent. Please, if someone can give me advice or suggestions on what to do, I would be greatful.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's most likely Overstimulation syndrome. She cannot be allowed to lick you when you are awake to stop this when you are asleep. Declawing a cat (amputation of all it's toe bones) is not an answer since she will still have teeth, and will learn to use them. It is against the law in many states because of the pain and misery it brings for the rest of the cat's life. Please get a kickeroo (long catnip stuffed cat toy ) on Amazon or at a pet store and throw it towards her or away from her when she starts licking you to distract her. I have seveeral around and keep one in a bag of catnip to keep it enticing. I recommend kiceroos because they encourage 'bunny kicks' and get rid of a lot of excess energy. If she starts licking you say NO noudly or even hiss and throw a toy/kickeroo for her.
This is something that can be stopped if you keep at it. I would even keep a kiceroo in bed for her to 'attack'. She has no idea that this is not acceptable, and it is up to you to teach her it is. Cats are not motivated to stop a behavior by physical punishment, like dogs, so slapping, spraying with water, etc. will not work and even make her afraid of you and perhaps even more aggressive to defend herself. If she suddenly bites/scratches when you are petting/stroking her, it is up to you to find her 'limit'. Pet her once and quit. Then 10 minutes later stroke her twice and quit, etc. When you reach her limit she will suddenly bite or scartch. Watch for bristled tail, raised fur, low growls, and staring. If you watch closely, her pupoils will dilate right before an attack. How do I knwo? Because I have had several cats like this, almost always female. One of whom was my soulmate......

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry though that it's an upsetting situation that has brought you here. 🤗

How old is Midnight? And how long have you had her?

Once I know those answers, I'll have probably have more questions, but it really does start with knowing whether she's a kitten or an adult. And if she's a new adoptee, or if you've had her a long time, and this is a completely out of character behaviour.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Until you get to know one another better, I would suggest that you not allow her in your room at night. And while you are up, I would not let her lick your face or even get close to your face. If she tries it with your arm or leg, give her a loud hiss and walk away from her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BrandNewKittyMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry though that it's an upsetting situation that has brought you here. 🤗

How old is Midnight? And how long have you had her?

Once I know those answers, I'll have probably have more questions, but it really does start with knowing whether she's a kitten or an adult. And if she's a new adoptee, or if you've had her a long time, and this is a completely out of character behaviour.
Midnight is only two months old. I've had her for over a month now, I believe.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’d suggest designating a “kitten room” with her food, litter, water, and a comfy place to sleep, and having her sleep in there until she gets a little older. Kittens are overly excitable and have really sharp claws as you’ve learned already, you’ll both sleep better if you’re in separate rooms. If she bites or scratches you too hard, you can hiss at her like another cat would to signal “ouch, too hard”

Also if you haven’t already learned how to trim her nails you should do that and start trimming. It makes a big difference, and it’s something you should get her used to while you’re young.

Lastly, kittens have little needle claws that are REALLY ****ing sharp, even when they don’t mean to hurt you. It sounds paradoxical but as she grows and her claws get bigger they’ll hurt less and she won’t scratch you just by walking on your lap :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Midnight is only two months old. I've had her for over a month now, I believe.
So she's still practically a baby. How did you come about adopting her so young? She must have been just barely weaned. No wonder she considers you her mother, and has taken to licking and biting you. And since she's so young, she didn't get a chance to learn cat manners from her mom and siblings, therefore, that's now your job. :catman:

Here's a article from the Humane Society on Teach your kitten how to play nice. Do disregard their mention of a water squirt bottle, as that is not recommended, and in fact TCS has this article with 5 Reasons To Never Spray Water On Your Cat | TheCatSite.

When she drew blood, was it from her claws? Or biting?