SOS please help i took in an abandoned kitt & she wont drink !

MichelleRedd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My stepdaughter came to me with a newborn 3 day old kitten in need . I took it in right away . Did lots of research. And took her to the vet at not even 1 pound nor even a week and a half old. She had upper respiratory infection and Conjunctivitis. Got sent home with meds. (Sneezing and pink eye went away ) Did the KMR liquid bottle feeding hrs and how much just as vet said .The vet is kind of all over the place . And dont really think she cares. I've seen and spent several money on her already. So during week 3 4 ...I noticed know she has rice in her feces which is some type of worm. Called her and told her. She said because she is so young they can't deworm until at least 8 weeks ! My poor kitten still has them and has to continue with them for another 2 weeks!!!! (She is right now 5 weeks ) So I called her when I was weaning off the bottle she told.me literally in the same sentence you can make a paste of the KMR liquid formula and go down ml every couple of days . "Or actually just give her straight up canned wet food with water and she will be ok. " is what my vet told me over the phone in the same sentence . So I went with knowing this beautiful kitten has some type of worm that they are sucking ANY nutrients that is going into her little body so I went with the canned food mixed in with the KMR liquid (soup) aka me thinking extra liquid and nutrients ...I went down all the way to 7.5 ml of it. And started today with her just "canned food and water " she almost and pretty.much choked on the water pretty much going up HER NOSE..she tried it hours later and same thing ! It's a very low pan the water it's in. But she refuses to drink even a lick of it ! :( good note I guess .tho she just started using the litter box yesterday on her own put only peeing barely ! But I'm worry because I know it hurts her when she poops. She usually poops a few times a day. But she didn't poop at all all day today. Yesterday she did but I had to stimulate her because you can tell these worms are getting bigger and they are hurting her. How do I get her to drink .please someone help I've been doing hours ...DAYS of research . I dont want her to dehydrate herself !!! Please please I have no kids.and yes I guess u can call me the 27 y.o crazy cat lady because this is my baby..and Soso I just keep getting more and more worried . And still have no answers .....anything would help ! Thanks so so much. - kitten kisses from Coco Chanel and MichelleReddView attachment 335596
20200518_203617.jpg
20200516_134131.jpg
20200413_151028.jpg
20200428_160444.jpg

Attachments

Natashan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
have you considered contacting some rescue organisations for help? they usually have great advice. Maybe also call another vet clinic and ask for advice. sorry I cant help more, but it was just a quick thought. Dehydration when so young is dangerous and very worrying. hopefully someone here can offer more help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MichelleRedd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
have you considered contacting some rescue organisations for help? they usually have great advice. Maybe also call another vet clinic and ask for advice. sorry I cant help more, but it was just a quick thought. Dehydration when so young is dangerous and very worrying. hopefully someone here can offer more help
Thank you so much yes thinking of taking her to a different clinic first thing tomorrow . I hope she'll be okay . Idk what I'll do . Shes already had so many problems. Literally she's like my human infant. And I feel so hopeless. Thanks for getting back to me I soooooo appreciate just the reach out 🤜🥰

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Absolutely take her to a new vet office. She is NOT too young to be wormed. Also, give her the kitten formula and whatever other food she likes so that she will eat properly. At five weeks old most kittens are still nursing and not eating soft foods yet, or they are just beginning to try it. The vet should also give you Albon to clear any parasites or bacterial infections.

Please update after the new vet visit. Your kitten is adorable! :)

M MichelleRedd

Last edited:

MichelleRedd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Absolutely take her to a new vet office. She is NOT too young to be wormed. Also, give her the kitten formula and whatever other food she likes so that she will eat properly. At five weeks old most kittens are still nursing and not eating soft foods yet, or they are just beginning to try it. The vet should also give you Albon to clear any parasites or bacterial infections.

M MichelleRedd
OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH . I think I am. She is only on wet food and I've been adding 5ml water mixed into her wet food. And she actually just took a couple of licks out of her water bowl today! Idk why if its just a Jersey thing but I called another vet. One of the best rated and they also said she was too young to be dewormed.???

MichelleRedd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

M MichelleRedd
coco said thank you too! Lol 🐱🐱🥰🥰

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I just want to say that I think you have done a fantastic job in raising this little lady.

I can't believe the vet thought she was too young to be dewormed as I had my own kittens dewormed when they were just three weeks old. She has tape worms, which are typical in a kitten, and easily treatable.

Maybe you could entice her to eat a little warmed up wet food or some tuna? You could also trying gently pushing her nose into a bowl of water or lactose free whole milk. At five weeks she should be introduced to solid foods.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can totally trust what Sarthur2 tells you about the kitten! Best advice you can get. The vet should at least have been willing to do a fecal test to determine what parasites are present. She could have other than what you can see. I would call another vet and make sure they know you already see worms. When you raise a little one they are your baby! She is so very beautiful!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They can get roundworms from momma, so most kittens whom arent not from an dewormed, inside only momma usually have some roundworms.
Pyrantel is a mild dewormer very good at this and can be used at 2+weeks..

The rice sounds as tape worms. They can get this if they were fleas infested, as fleas are inbetween host of tape worms.

So some all round dewormer should be used. Here in Europe Milbomax is often used and is mild, can be used on healthy kittens 3+ weeks.

Althugh I understand the vet sort off, some dewormers are tough on the kitten body, and many OTC dewormers too... So its necessary to be careful. Have vets advice OR google / ask on a forum, if the brand of dewormer you found isnt well known to you as safe and good.

So, I agree a second opinion with another vet is wise. But I shall admit this vet at least one thing: she is apparently willing to give some advices on the phone. Not all vets are, so this is a value.

Ps. The vet apparently though its by some reason important for you to begin with normal cat food. So she gave her, more or less good, advices... "if she is hungry she will surely eat the cat food, even if its not in her taste".

But the transition doesnt not need to be hurried. If the kittens wants kmr or goat milk, let her have it. The transition will come anyway.
Main thing she doesnt get dehydrated or loose weigh, just becuase...

MichelleRedd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Shes at the vet (( a new one now )) waiting for her to be done getting the exam /hopefully some dewormering and whatever meds she may need. Fingers crossed as im waiting in the car . :( I wish I could go in with her :( but thank you everyone for your very fast replies etc I and Coco deeply appreciate the tons of kind words and advice!! I'm so happy I found this forum 🥰🥰🥰