Sos! Cat Has An Injury! :(((

synthia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All, please help me. I came home and was with m 2 year n 1/2 cats. Nothing unusual and then saw this cut on my female baby.
They both play wrestle and chase each other, mainly the other cat is the alpha. But can't make out how she got this. She is as energetic as always. It's almost 10pm. No vets are open.
Suggestions?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have any sterile saline solution or chlorohexidine (Hibiclens - dilute it and rinse well) to rinse the wound with? I'd try to clean the wound tonight and get her to the vet tomorrow. Don't use plain water, hydrogen peroxide (can damage healthy tissue), or anything that will burn like alcohol. Don't use anything you are unsure of. I think povidone iodine (Betadine) should also be safe. Do you have a cone to keep her from licking/chewing it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

synthia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do have saline. I could have just dabbed it with a cotton ball?

Brought her to a 24 hour vet. They say it may be an abscess, puncture from my other cats claw/tooth or caught herself with something at home. I don't have sharp objects that I can think of. However they have torn the linings umder couch and bed and hide or play there. Could b nails under there

Thank u so much for responding. Will get her the e-cone and put her in kennel for a few days while I'm out :(

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You did the right thing getting her to the vet as quickly as you did. Keep us posted to let us know she's healing well.

Hopefully there won't be a future injury, but if so, you'd want to flush the wound with saline versus dab at it, then pat dry with some sterile gauze.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

synthia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much, will do!
She's still kinda out of it.
They don't know if she punctured herself with something or my other cats claw or bite. Possibly an abscess. They don't really know. They cleaned her up n left open so wound can drain. Definitely smells infected. She's on antibiotics now. Totally appreciate you responding so quick!

Attachments