Sorting through food allergy test results and trying to keep everyone healthy...

spiderplant

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After years of dealing with chronic ear problems(in one ear) and some recent gastrointestinal issues, our vet decided to have food allergy testing performed on my 15 year old. We got the results today and, despite knowing how unreliable allergy bloodwork can be, I'm hesitant to feed him some of the foods in the "borderline" and "borderline-positive" categories. Here are his results:

"Borderline" foods: beets, corn, lamb, potato, rice, yeast, banana, green peas, salmon, pumpkin.

I was shocked to see lamb on there as I've been cutting back on poultry for him and just started feeding a larger amount of lamb(RadCat, which all five cats are in love with, as well as small amounts of ZiwiPeak and NV Instinct). It was my chosen protein source. Pumpkin is what I give him occasionally to help with constipation/diarrhea and green peas are in some of the canned foods that I fed him for several years. The other foods on this list are never fed, aside from potato(in some treats).

Here are the "borderline-positive" foods: eggs, green beans, and rabbit.

Eggs = RadCat :( I also occasionally give them raw egg yolks.
Greens beans.. I have a cat who absolutely adores green beans but this is an easy one to cut out, of course, as we don't have them often and he loves other veggies(in small amounts) too.
Rabbit.. this is a protein source I was going to add into the mix but one he hasn't had in several years.

I was really hoping that he was allergic to chicken and eliminating that would be a sort of "magic bullet" for him. We just lost one of our cats to FIP and he has a high coronavirus so I do not want to tax his immune system with potential allergens. It was ACTT testing performed by Bio-Medical Services and the print-out advises that we stop feeding these foods. He did not have any results that were in the "positive" or "highly positive" range.
We're picking up our RadCat order tomorrow and I planned on placing a new order(for lamb, turkey, and chicken).. should I change what we're doing? We're trying to keep everyone healthy, especially after the FIP loss, and they are loving their RadCat. I was going to switch them over to about 90% RadCat, 10% canned/freeze-dried organs/other raw foods. Advice is greatly appreciated!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Me personally, I would try avoiding the foods in those categories for a while and see what happens. For the constipation issue you might be able to use other squashes, but you may have to can your own to make that happen. Can you make your own raw? That would open up the possibilities of using other meats that haven't shown problems via testing.

I'm very sorry about the loss of your FIP kitty. From what I understand, the corona virus converts to FIP or it doesn't. No real rhyme or reason why. But seeking foods that won't produce an inflammatory response is never a bad idea.