Sorry if off topic but would like advice/reassurance

SystemInternational

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the long post. I‘m suffering from health anxiety and I thought there may be someone here with experience or knowledge about this. I appreciate you taking the time to read this.

I moved into a house share temporarily over a year ago and only lived there for around 2 months. Before moving I met the owner of the property and everything was fine. Upon visiting their home, and their 3 cats, I was shown the room. The carpet was stained where the cats had been sick several times in the room, something I am familiar with from friends with pets and have never really considered a huge deal, although I would have expected it to be cleaned up properly. However, they had not bothered recently as the carpets were due to be replaced that week.

The owner seemed otherwise quite clean and assured me that the carpets were being replaced before I was moving in. This was not the case however and it wasn’t until a week after moving that the job got done.

My concern comes from the fact that when the carpet fitter arrived he asked the owner if the stains on the carpet were feces. The owner said yes. The fitter said he could not do the job because his wife was pregnant and it was a health and safety risk.

At the time I was suffering from a myriad mental health and financial problems and just assured myself it would get better and to just stick with it. I didn’t understand what was going on regarding health issues and what the fitter was referring to. I also didn’t know if the owner actually meant feces or if they were just caught of guard by the fitters question.

So, whilst living there it became apparent that the owner was not a very clean person at all and it didn’t take long for the whole situation to deteriorate. The cats were well fed and cared for but would relieve themselves in the bathtub occasionally and once in the main room/porch/ Luckily, I was able to find alternative accommodation quite quickly.

My problem is the anxiety that occurred after leaving and reading up about the health and safety issues that could have arisen and learning of Toxoplasmosis.

1. I am now incredibly concerned that I may have ingested Toxo whilst staying in that house. Some of my belongings (in bags and boxes) were in that room and moved about whilst the carpets were fitted.
  2. I am also incredibly concerned that the spores would have lingered on my belongings and that I carried them with me to the new place.
  3. Which leads me to my primary worry now that, as I am moving in with family next week that I am going to bring this with me and potentially make them ill. They are old and immunosuppressed.
I have anxiety regarding being infected myself and it becoming an issue in later life for myself but my primary concern is for my family.

Can Toxo survive on objects and if so, for over a year?

How likely is it that, even if the cats had defecated in that room that they had Toxo at all? (They were indoor cats that very very rarely left the house, and if they did it was just out of curiosity and they returned almost immediately.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I would arrange for a blood test for my own sake but with COVID it is very difficult to do that, and that doesn’t help with the anxiety of transmitting it to my family.

Thank you for reading and sorry if this is the wrong forum for this.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will not pose a risk to anyone IF on the VERY minor chance you have been infected with toxoplasmosis from being in this home. It does not transmit from person to person, except for from mother to baby (congenital), blood transfusion or organ transplantation.
You're chances of having contracted it is also pretty low as a cat is only "infectious/contagious" during the first 1-3 weeks of being infected, thru it's feces. After that, nothing. So you would have had to have had some pretty unfortunate luck that the indoor cats were infected and shedding the parasite at the exact time you were possibly exposed to their feces, and you would have had to "consume" it in some way.
If you want to be tested to ease your mind, fine, but I honestly think you have nothing to really worry about.
Yes toxo can live quite some time on surfaces, but in very moist environments (water, soil). So a dried carpet stain, I would not think to be a very effective or dangerous area of contamination...and that includes your stuff too.
Don’t push the panic button on toxoplasmosis

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

SystemInternational

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for taking the time to reply. It’s very hard for me to think rationally at the moment so it helps to hear this from someone else. Anxiety can be so overwhelming sometimes. I was so worried for my relatives but what you say makes sense.

I just need to try and switch on the logic part of my brain. Thank you for your reply.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toxoplasmosis is such an interesting and complicated disease. I went to a seminar by a leading toxoplasma gondii researcher once. It's actually incredibly common to have and never know it. 2/3 of Europeans are estimated to have it. But, most people get it from eating fruits and vegetables that were contaminated, not from owning a cat.

The main proven danger is that it can interrupt the development of a fetus, so if you're pregnant, it's not a bad idea to get tested for it. Otherwise the effects are less clear. There's some concern that it might be linked to Alzheimers, but Europeans don't have higher rates of Alzheimers even though they have higher rates of toxo, so that mystery is unclear.

What is known is that outdoor cats who eat mice are the ones spreading it and contaminating the soil, not indoor-only cats. Hand washing regularly before eating is always a good idea, especially if you're immunocompromised, but toxo specifically should not be a concern.

I hope you feel better soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SystemInternational

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the response! I’ve been obsessively reading articles about it so I feel like an expert now, but the fact that so many countries have quite a high percentage of infection is almost reassuring. Also the fact that it mainly is caught through eating undercooked/raw meat.

As I said to Jem, it’s my persistent anxiety that makes it so difficult to focus on facts and be logical. I really appreciate your reply, it is helping me to feel a little more in control of the fear, so I really appreciate it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The only person I ever knew of who got it ate very underdone lamb at a barbeque. It was dxed by her doctor, so I know it was toxo.

I agree that you are probably in the extremely low risk category for this but would not discourage you from speaking to your doctor especially if it would ease the anxiety. One of my drs allowed me to have an MRI once just to ease my mind about something, so I do understand where you are coming from.

If it were easily contracted I should be the poster girl for it by now with some of the crazy cat rescues I have done over the years and the number of litterboxes I have cleaned.

The link to Alzheimer's mentioned by molly92 molly92 got a lot of publicity over the last year with article showing pictures of cats and suggesting that your cat was doing much worse than just getting you sick; he was affecting your cognition as well. It was and has not been well researched yet and is not conclusive.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The above members all gave you great advice. 👍 If it helps alleviate some of your anxiety I was concerned about toxoplasmosis when I was pregnant with our first child. Our cats were indoors only and the vet suggested having my husband clean/change the litter box but otherwise not to worry. I've always had cats and a second child as well with no problems related to toxo. I hope this information is helpful and the move back to live with family goes well too. :goodluck: