Sores On Cat's Neck And Head

RebeccaLee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We will be taking her into the vet tomorrow, but wanted other's opinions on what caused this.

Our female kitten is 9 months old. We also have a 3.5 year old female cat and a 8-9ish year old male cat. All are fixed. Our male cat gets along well with the other two. Our kitten is energetic. Our female cat does not care for the kitten very much and will hiss at her if the kitten keeps going up to her and our female cat will leave the room/area a lot of the kitten comes in. Our two older cats are declawed on their front feet, the kitten is not.

Maybe a week and a half ago. I noticed on 2 separate days that the kitten had a scab on the back/side of her neck. Maybe 3 days ago, she had a wound on the back of her neck. It looked like a puncture wound/hole surrounded by a red hairless circle. This is healing now. Just now, she has a sheared off spot on the side of her ear.

At first, I thought it might be the female cat, but they havent been acting any differently than they already had. Being that our other two are declawed, I'd think our female would have to catch her in such a specific way with her for the sheared circle/scrape. Now I think it may something in the room we put her in at night. I don't see blood/fur on anything in that room, but ill look again. If the female cat doesnt sleep in my room, we put the kitten in a large room with a bed and box, etc. We started to put her in their if we leave the house now too consistently since the puncture/scrape a few days ago. I'm pretty certain the ear scrape today happened in that room alone today while we were gone.

We are moving her to a new room tonight, just in case it is our male and we take her to the vet tomorrow.

Any idea? The location makes me think she is not doing it to herself.

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’m sorry that this has happened to your kitty! It’s hard to tell from the picture, because there are many different things that can cause skin problems in cats. Your vet will be able to take a closer look and give you a for sure answer, but according to this article: Skin Conditions In Cats some common culprits are ringworm, fleas, mites, allergies, and infection.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is JUST possible that she might have done this scratching herself, but not likely. I have a feeling that you have seen the vet by now, or are there at this time, so PLEASE let us know what he said!