Sore Spot On Cats Back

Heidie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
image.jpg
My female cat has a bald area With a red sore spot on her back. It did have a scab earlier today but she has been licking it. Any idea what this could be??

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Do you know if the sore spot showed up, and then she started licking it, or did it occur because she's licking it?
I was wondering, does she run during play, around and under things? Could she have scraped her back while "ducking" under something?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm glad you joined the site and came here for support.
Both of the above members have noted good questions. From your pic the sore looks a bit deep. If she goes outdoors it could have happened there. I would call your vet to ask their advice, possibly send the pic to them, and ask whether to put something on the sore or bring her in. Please keep us posted on her progress. :alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Heidie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm glad you joined the site and came here for support.
Both of the above members have noted good questions. From your pic the sore looks a bit deep. If she goes outdoors it could have happened there. I would call your vet to ask their advice, possibly send the pic to them, and ask whether to put something on the sore or bring her in. Please keep us posted on her progress. :alright:
It looks worse in the picture the sore is flat no real depth to it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Heidie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
Do you know if the sore spot showed up, and then she started licking it, or did it occur because she's licking it?
I was wondering, does she run during play, around and under things? Could she have scraped her back while "ducking" under something?
It kinda just appeared she does run a round sometimes , it’s been there about a week I think she is making it worse because she keeps licking it

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you get a cone to put on her that hopefully stops her from being able to reach it, and also try some chamomile tea. Any tea that you purchase will be safe to use (as opposed to picking chamomile from a garden). Brew it, cool it and gently apply to the area. It is anti bacterial, anti fungal, will help ease the "itchiness" and if she were to lick some it's safe.
This isn't to replace talking to your vet but it should help in the meantime :)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did not realize the external benefits of chamomile tea - I would love to see Heidie try that and report the results!
If the edges of the wound are raised and the area hot to the touch, I would suspect an infection of some sort or an allergic reaction. if it is merely abrased, then it sounds as if she scraped it on some low hanging object such as a furniture frame.
Thank you to Furballsmom for teaching me something new today!!