Sore on upper lip after dental work for tooth resorption

jstie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our 7 year old Smike had dental surgery on Nov. 8, as he has tooth resorption. Previously, they removed a couple premolars; this time another couple side teeth and his right upper canine. He recovered well both times, is eating and behaving normally and happily. Last night I noticed he has a small sore on his upper lip to the right of his nose. I will be calling the vet tomorrow to have him looked at, as it looks like it could be an indolent / eosinophilic granuloma ulcer. It doesn't seem to be bothering him. However, I also noticed when I was examining him that when he closes his mouth, the tip of his remaining *lower* canine tooth on that side "catches" right there where the sore is. So I'm wondering if the sore might be actually from that fang poking him in the upper lip, since the loss of the upper canine doesn't keep his lip "out of the way." Anyone had that happen? Or if the dental work might have triggered an inflammatory reaction that started a granuloma? My poor fellow... photo just because he's so handsome. Smike portrait 09.15.21.JPG

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
However, I also noticed when I was examining him that when he closes his mouth, the tip of his remaining *lower* canine tooth on that side "catches" right there where the sore is. So I'm wondering if the sore might be actually from that fang poking him in the upper lip, since the loss of the upper canine doesn't keep his lip "out of the way." Anyone had that happen?
I think you might be onto something with the lower canine catching in the area where the sore is on his mouth or inflammation. Our cat has had a lot of difficulty with FORL and also had an upper canine removed at one point but fortunately nothing poked him in the upper lip. In either case I'm glad you are calling the vet tomorrow. Please keep us updated on what they say. Thanks for including a pic of Smike, he's an extremely handsome black kitty. :bigeyes:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's possible the stress of being at the vet and the procedure triggered the granuloma OR it could be from his canine. I'm glad you're already planning on asking the vet.