Sore on side of chin

Amgierke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2 year old cat had this sore on the side of her chin just under her mouth. I noticed it two days ago-its in a weird spot and she is furry so it cluld have been there longer and I didnt notice it. Wondering if anyone has any idea what this is/how to treat it and if I should take her in. It’s definitely in a spot she could not lick, however her brother could. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It could be any number of things. And, while she cannot lick it, she can scratch at it, making it worse. Looks she already has. Can you send a pic to your vet and ask their opinion?

In the meantime, you can use a chamomile tea bag (standard grocery store variety which are almost always German, you don't want English, nor any flavorings/additives), brew it in water, cool the liquid, and dab it on that spot with a soft cloth or cotton balls multiple times a day. The tea has both anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, and is also a soothing and healing agent. It is safe for either of your cats to ingest.

You need to look around for a source of the sore - for example, does she have plastic water/food dishes which can cause feline acne that she is scratching at? Did she rub/scrape her chin on something sharp - either indoors or outside? Did she get a wound from playing with her brother - and one or both of their claws need trimmed?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I also wondered if she might have rubbed against some piece of furniture and picked up a splinter, which would have formed an abscess, which then burst. That, also, would look very like that. But do use the tea. It will help stave off infection until a vet can see it.