Sore Kitten Bum

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you recommend putting anything on a kittens little bottom that is sore from having diarrhea?

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That poor baby. I'm not experienced in this at all but hopefully someone with some more experience should be along soon to help you out. I know coconut oil is ok for moms nipples if they are dry but not sure about for a kittens bottom. I would think it's ok. Or maybe a small amount of Vaseline would help. Has the diaharra cleared up or the issue that's causing it? Kitten been wormed or checked for any parasites that could be causing the diaharra?

Miry-Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten had diarrhea when I first rescued her along with road rash. I had to take her to the vet and they put her on antibiotics to clear up any infections, but when I asked about what to put on her poor raw bum, they told me to just be vigilant when she went to her litter box and help her keep her bottom as clean as possible. I bought a few baby washcloths and whenever possible I'd scoop her up and extremely gently wipe down her bottom with warm water. It took a few days, but her little hiney healed.

Someone else might have some good ideas about other remedies. Hang in there!

Here's a post on another thread that might also be of some help.

What a great site. I have been brought a 5-6 wk old kitten that was abandoned and he got diarrhea when I was giving him KMR so I started him on soaked hard kitty food which continued the diarrhea and caused a small prolapse. So I got some dewormer from the vet. After I found this site and read some advice from catwoman707 who talked of the pumpkin trick (which worked like a charm) and putting them on baby food/yogurt/probiotics which also worked great. I also used coconut oil on his butt and some hydrocortisone cream which seems to be taking care of things. so after four days I tried introducing some chicken pate and he was back to diarrhea again. So I went and got some more chicken baby food. What am I doing wrong? Also, is there a safe, home remedy for ear mites or is it safest to take him to the vet?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Coldpressed coconut oil, organic style, mentioned above, does has some soothing properties. So its a recommendation. Otherwise, coldpressed olive oil should do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am trying to keep the kittens clean but it's kind of impossible because I work full time and there are five of them. But I'm doing the best I can. I am feeding them cottage cheese to try and help with the diarrhea, but if it doesn't get better this week they will be going to the vet. Just one of them has the bum that looks really sore and I was afraid it could turn into a prolapsed colon. I have some coconut oil, so I may try that first.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How old are the kittens? Is there a mom?

If they are too young to groom and have no mom to groom them, you can use diaper rash ointment.

Coconut oil is wonderful.

If the "burn" or rash does not go away, the vet may need to test to see if the area is infected with a fungal or bacterial infection, then offer appropriate treatment.

Is the diarrhea being treated?

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are about 7 weeks, no mom. I am feeding them cottage cheese and pumpkin. If they don't improve soon they will go to the vet.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree, the kittens probably need an antibiotic like Albon to clear the diarrhea.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably, but I don't have money and the rescue lady who is going to take them is over her limit, so were just going to try this a few more days. I have brought her too many babies.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try bag balm. Just a little bit though since they will most likely lick it off. Bag balm is a soothing agent for cow teats, so it's safe enough for animals. I've actually had a cat ingest it and it never bothered him.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have another question. The vet has instructed feeding Pedialyte with a syringe. I find it difficult to do this, a lot of it spills on the kitten and gets them wet. They are drinking their water just fine, I would like to add it to the water instead. What do you think?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's exactly what I did once I was sure they were no longer dehydrated. I just mixed it 80-20. The 80 being water.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
For a dehydrated kitten, it can replace the water in a bowl for a day or two, or be mixed 50/50. :)