Sore Foot

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm calling the vet for an appointment tomorrow. Mickey was limping and it looks like he either got something in his foot pad or a claw grew too long and broke off in it. But he's really good about using the scratching post and keeping his claws trimmed down. He never goes outside so I don't know what it could be. My husband's aunt came over and we tried to get it with tweezers but we couldn't. It's kinda scabbed over. We didn't try too hard cuz we didn't want to cause him too much pain.
I feel like I should have noticed it earlier, but you know how cats are. They instinctively hide pain because in the wild, if they appear weak, they die.
He wasn't scratching but he was squirming and trying to get away while we were checking him out.
We have a little money set aside that we were going to use for the fair, but I can't let Mickey hurt just so we can have a night of fun.
Anyway, since I can't call the vet until tomorrow morning, does anyone know what it could be?
Not the best pictures cuz he was pretty annoyed.

20180716_211427.jpg 20180716_211414.jpg

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like a claw or some sort of particle, possibly a shard of hard plastic. It must be very painful - soaking in warm weak salt water might soften the tissue around it and provide relief. Poor kitty! and I salute you for choosing vet care over going to the fair. I hope that this turns out well enough so you get to do both.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried the salt water with my husband cuddling him. He only tolerated it for about 2 minutes then took off acting awfully offended. I'm not sure it was long enough to do any good. Maybe it did. Thanks for the suggestion.
Our vet is pretty reasonable. When I was a kid, we found a kitten with a horribly broken leg. The bone was sticking out. He set the bone, splinted and wrapped it, and gave her a shot of antibiotics. Healed perfectly and he only charged us $20. So, if it's not too serious - and it doesn't look like it is - we might still be able to take the kids to the fair. We'll see.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just got back. Mickey is fine. Something sharp got stuck. The vet said maybe a weed seed but he couldn't tell for sure. He got it out and gave him a shot of antibiotics. $27.50. That's why I drive 30 miles to get to him. The other vets around here will charge $50-60 just for walking in the door.
The paper actually just did a story on him. He's in his 80's but hasn't retired because he just loves what he does. Lord help me when he quits practicing!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clap: Glad that Mickey will be fine! Your vet sounds like mine. Additionally, my vet was raised using herbs so she and I are able to coordinate treatment with traditional and modern medicine. She is also beyond retirement age & many of the poor folk are worried about what to do when she does retire.