Sore eyes from smoke haze

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I'm from Melbourne, Australia so I'm not directly affected by the bushfires but my heart goes out to the people that have passed away, the families affected, the firefighters and volunteers and the poor, innocent wildife that have been injured/perished. Really makes me sad; all I could do at this stage was to donate $100 to the bushfire crisis but sh*t is really going down here in Oz :bawling:

The smoke haze has been really bad the last few days but even more so today. I went to check the mailbox and my eyes started burning a little. Even driving to the supermarket, you can't really see the road far ahead; it's that smoky.

I've shut all windows and kept all the cats inside but one of my cat's Jiggy seems to have been affected by the smoke. Her eyes are abit glassy, teary and dull looking. Is there any type of eye drops I can get to help sooth her eyes? I've attached a photo of what her eyes currently look like.
Point Blur_Jan062020_175512.jpg

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so, so sorry you are all going through this in Australia. :alright: I do hope this increases the number of people who do their part for the climate change at least.

There are sprays and drops to clean the eyes and prevent infection. On Amazon Australia too. (I'm sorry I can't recommend a brand, I checked Amazon but wasn't familiar with any of the brands in OZ)

I would guess it's similar with cats as humans. For humans they say avoid rubbing and wiping, in case there is fume on the eyes. Instead drops are recommended. Humidity also helps.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Breaks my heart to see all that's happening in the news. Stay safe Paris Pluto Paris Pluto . I deeply pray this is over very soon.

I think there are over the counter eye drops as well, but better if you can give the vet a ring just to make sure, or send him/her the photo.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I'm from Melbourne, Australia so I'm not directly affected by the bushfires but my heart goes out to the people that have passed away, the families affected, the firefighters and volunteers and the poor, innocent wildife that have been injured/perished. Really makes me sad; all I could do at this stage was to donate $100 to the bushfire crisis but sh*t is really going down here in Oz :bawling:

The smoke haze has been really bad the last few days but even more so today. I went to check the mailbox and my eyes started burning a little. Even driving to the supermarket, you can't really see the road far ahead; it's that smoky.

I've shut all windows and kept all the cats inside but one of my cat's Jiggy seems to have been affected by the smoke. Her eyes are abit glassy, teary and dull looking. Is there any type of eye drops I can get to help sooth her eyes? I've attached a photo of what her eyes currently look like.
View attachment 316333
Its been pretty hard on the people caught in the fires, glad they had a bit of rain to help them get things under control.
I have been using just standard saline eye drops all today..probably be the same thing you get from the vet.

Last edited:

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Paris,

I am from sydney australia, and we are experiencing fires as well it is all smokey , hazy. Its pretty much hell on earth in all of australia right now more than half a billion animals perished just in NSW alone in the fires and more will perish and i cant imagine how much more has died in VIC, VIC, NT, WA and TAS it would be over 2 billion , humans have died and everything is being destroyed.

I would try to keep all your pets inside to avoid the smoke, and if you are not able to get to the vet try wiping her eyes with luke warm water and a soft cloth, and ask the vet to have a look at it. Even my eyes are irritated from the smoke, god knows what has been burnt millions of chemicals, plants, metal. I would try and find something natural like a saline solution as you dont want to put more chemicals into the eyes to irritate it more.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would call the vet. My layman's guess would be the saline drops which here in the U.S. are also called artificial tears. I am so sorry for all this and hope it ends soon. I saw the video of a woman saving a Koala, poor thing was crying and there was blood on the blanket she wrapped it in. I don't know if it survived. I heard today that a lot of them who do survive the fire will starve to death because they rely on Eucalyptus for food. Eucalyptus is extremely flammable so there won't be any left.