Sophie has to lose weight!.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well i've just got back from the vets after Sophies 6 month post spay check up.

She rolled all over the table on her back showing off to the vet and giving her head butts

The vet checked her eyes, ears, teeth, and felt around and asked if there was anything i needed to know, then the dreaded weigh in came

She weighs 10lb!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lord knows what Rosie weighs but i'd say a couple of lb extra!.

So the vet said Sophie needs to lose a couple of lb.

I feed them a good quality dry kibble so she said theres no need to give them the wet food, but i said they only get a tiny amount, but the vet said they'll get used to it.

I've also come away with a huge bag of Hills Prescription t/d kibbles that they gave me free which are specially formulated to keep their teeth in good condition, along with some paste for their teeth to breakdown any enzymes on their gums.

Anyone heard of these or is it necessary?!.

So Cathi were joining you and Mittens in the diet because they both go back in June for their boosters and they get weighed then as well

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad your trip went so well, Susan and Sophie!
Well, girls, sounds as if it's time for a diet! You can all three do Weight Watchers together!
I still feel that wet food would be a great idea instead of the dry and will send you info regarding this as we have discussed. Scheduled meal times are definately a must, no more free feeding, ladies.
I know you will handle this wonderfully, Susan, and after their very gradual weightloss, Rosie and Sophie will be in tip-top shape!

cyclesarah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh Susan!! Poor Sophie! I must say, though...your post gave me quite a chuckle. My boys are getting "snipped" on the 22nd, and I just KNOW that they are going to say something about Riley...he is such a porker. He doesn't look fat, he is just big...I weighed him on our home scale 2 weeks ago and he was 6.5 lbs!
But he is a big boy...he's got HUGE feet

So I am sure I will get the same talk when I bring them in...I hope the girls take to their new diet!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks Stephanie!, i honestly didn't know the disadvantages with dry

Sarah i knew Sophie was getting a little round but i never expected that

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dread taking Paige in to the vet, because there's no way she should be so heavy... but there it is.. as a result they've been on diets, but they've hit a plateau.. I think I need to reduce the ration, maybe. any suggestions? With the quality of the dry food i buy them, I don't think it's any more expensive to feed wet or dry so I'm open to feeding them 1 small portion of dry, and 1 of wet every day if you all think it's better? I've noticed though that Molly won't usually eat her whole can for a serving as suggested by the wet food's container.. How much of each in a mixed diet is right per cat?

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Denise Stephanie's sending me some info on the advantages of wet food only because she pointed out something i never really thought about before!.

If we eat crisps etc...that stick to your teeth we can brush our teeth, where as cats can't with the dry kibbles.

I'll be interested to read this because i always was led to believe they needed some dry?!.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I just recently read an article on a German cat forum written by a vet who said that dry food was, in her experience, more likely to lead to overweight cats and dogs than canned food. She suggested all canned, or half and half. I think free feeding dry to (potentially) chubby furbabies is a "no no" - I know I can't do it with Jamie, and that our neighbor's cat looked like a barrel when she was fed that way.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going to have to stop the free feeding as well. I cut down with the treats months ago.

Theres no way Rosie will entertain a toothbrush either!!.

It's a good job their active because can you imagine if they were lazy cats?!.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now Tiggy weighs 11, and Trixie and Petals both weigh 10 and my vet isn't concerned.......hummmmmmmm

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I'm not sure which articles Stephanie is sending, the main one I usually share is just a vet's view on why canned food does *not* lead to increased dental issues, as has been commonly believed.

There is a higher carb count I believe in most dry cat foods...the difference between the diet dry and regular is usually that the diet has less fat and far more fiber. Cats are truly designed for meat/protein...they are obligate carnivores and lack the needed enyzmes to do certain conversions, ie. they can not convert linoleic acid to a precursor of arachidonic acid, and arachidonic acid is an essential fatty acid that cats need, it must be present in their diet (as must linoleic, they need both).

I am coming to believe the best diet is either a properly composed homemade, or a quality canned that does NOT use a lot of fillers or unnecessary ingredients (that are more for human appeal than for the feline nutrition).

Increasing exercise, scheduled feeding versus free feeding, and a quality canned (or the best diet dry you can find - Innova Lite is good) would be my suggestions.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Now Tiggy weighs 11, and Trixie and Petals both weigh 10 and my vet isn't concerned.......hummmmmmmm
The vet isn't really concerned at the moment, but she's thinking if their podgey now at a young age, when their older it can start to affect their joints etc...which i suppose she has a point.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sitting here shaking this cat dancer like it's never been shook before!

That's the thing i love about it, theres no effort needed in my part!

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Susan,

I remember when we took Megan in at age 6 mos and I think she weighed 9 lbs them. Good 'ole vet told me she needs to stay there forewarning me that I have a tendency to overfeed them. I let everyone but George freely graze - now Mama and Lizbeth are both overweight. McKenzie is underweight and Megan is juuustttt right. I give up. It's so hard when you have a multiple cat household.
Sophie doesn't look pudgy to me

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey yo, Sophie! DOn't forget you can come vent about your die-et at my thread in Paws and Reflect "Help, My Meowmy is Trying to Starve Me!" Jasper T.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chris the only way i can tell is when she's sitting and you can see the roundness on her. When i first brought Sophie home at 6 weeks she was a lot longer than what Rosie was at that age.

I'll be there Aunty Jan!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

I'm sitting here shaking this cat dancer like it's never been shook before!

That's the thing i love about it, theres no effort needed in my part!

I also highly recommend the laser pointer. Cats go absolutely bonkers over it, and it requires even less effort on your part!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Of course!, i have one of those as well and Sophie hasn't even experienced it yet!!!!.

You clever thing for reminding me about the laser pen!, thanks

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sophie doesn't look overweight to me!

My girls get wet food twice a day AND they can graze during the day on kibbles. I guess this may lead to weight problems but so far they seem fine. I just hate to think of the girls hungry while I'm at work. I'm a grazer as far as eating goes so I would be really upset, myself, if I could not have little snacks throughout the day!