Sooty kitten

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey, everyone. So, Cassiopeia got into one of the fireplaces and now has little patches of soot in her beautiful white fur. There's also a small smudge at the top of one of her ears. I bought some cat wipes, but they don't seem to be doing very much. I'd like to avoid bathing her if possible. Does anyone have any suggestions? DC191770-00EB-4F2B-B3AC-21D2E158B27A_1_105_c.jpeg 38A91E66-86D7-4C57-B1A3-93970E1BEE17_1_105_c.jpeg

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about a sponge bath?

A wet cloth and some cat-safe soap followed with a clean, wet cloth.

We use Dr. Bronner’s “Baby Mild” liquid soap for cleaning up odd jobs around the house but you can use anything you have on hand as long as it’s okay to use on cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How about a sponge bath?

A wet cloth and some cat-safe soap followed with a clean, wet cloth.

We use Dr. Bronner’s “Baby Mild” liquid soap for cleaning up odd jobs around the house but you can use anything you have on hand as long as it’s okay to use on cats.
I might try that. I've got some Ecos unscented dish soap that might work for her. Thankfully, she only has a few soot patches so it shouldn't be too much for her.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it were me trying to do this, I think I'd start by putting some of the soap in a bowl of warm water and mixing well, then I'd dip a washcloth in the soapy water and wring it out before using on the cat - damp, not wet, with warm soapy water. Should be less traumatic for the cat, feeling more like a tongue. I'd follow the same procedure (minus the soap) for the rinse.

It sounds like Casseopeia had herself a grand adventure! :happycat:

Margret

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If it were me trying to do this, I think I'd start by putting some of the soap in a bowl of warm water and mixing well, then I'd dip a washcloth in the soapy water and wring it out before using on the cat - damp, not wet, with warm soapy water. Should be less traumatic for the cat, feeling more like a tongue. I'd follow the same procedure (minus the soap) for the rinse.

It sounds like Casseopeia had herself a grand adventure! :happycat:

Margret
Thanks! This is exactly what I'll do. And yes, she's a very adventurous little girl.

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So the sponge bath idea seems to have worked very well. Even though she got quite wet, she purred through the whole thing and snuggled with me as she dried herself off. She's still got a couple spots on one of her little feetsies, but I decided not to push her too much. I'll likely try to clean the rest off tomorrow. Thanks, everyone!

Verno

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Soot dirt, my other cat just gave up licking her. Fleas I don't think like it.
A wet dawn rag is all I can recommend.
Ever few weeks she gets into a burn thing somewhere.
Personally, I rather her a little sooted, verses the pure white for coyotes.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When dirt gets wet it makes mud. What a furrier would do to clean a pelt is rub cornstarch into the fur and then brush it out. It is a traditional means of cleaning oil, grease and dirt out of fur. So try it on one area and see how it works.