Sonic Has A Uri (sinus Infection)

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not so much asking for advice as we have been to the vet and have treatment, just more for sympathy really.

Vet thinks it started out as a mild viral thing but he now has a secondary bacterial sinus infection and has a lot of thick nasal discharge. In other regards he is fine - he's eating and has plenty of energy and doesn't have a fever, I expect it hurts though, I've had sinus infections myself and I know it is painful.

We have a course of antibiotics.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Would putting him in a bathroom with a steaming shower, 10-12 minutes a couple times a day help to ease his airways? Or a humidifier, although the warmth of the shower would possibly be better?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been taking him into the bathroom for a few minutes to sit outside of the shower cubicle while I am having a hot shower, I don't want him to get stressed out (he thinks the water is dissolving me the same way it would dissolve him *rolls eyes* - he is very typically a cat in that regard and the slightest drop of water anywhere near him causes panic!) but a couple of minutes at a time is ok - he is not getting wet at all but worries that I am! :D

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get one of those tabletop humidifier misters?
Tbh we are in a constant battle here against condensation and mould - it is wet here, not dry, and we don't use central heating/air conditioning much so they are not drying out the already damp air - we don't need a humidifier. (Air humidity is 97% right now, without help)

A bit of warm steam from the shower if we are using it is one thing, another source of damp outside of that is not good though. If anything, the high humidity and potential for mould spores could cause such a problem, or exacerbate it.

Last edited:

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well he is still snuffling and sneezing. He is a little bit less snotty than he was a week ago, but not 100% better. Am going to phone the vet surgery when they open and ask for advice. Am starting to wonder whether it could be an obstruction in his nasal passage - foreign body such as a tiny grain of litter, or a polyp, or perhaps a dental issue causing inflammation - all this just guessing on my part, will phone the vet in a couple of hours and see what they recommend.

He doesn't in any way appear to be seriously ill - he's lively, loving, doesn't have a fever, eating well, drinking normal amounts of water, using the litter tray fine. Just need to find out what is causing this nasal issue.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is that your baby in your avatar photo? What a sweetheart!!
Let us know what they say :vibes: :crossfingers: :redheartpump:

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went back to the vet today, the vet shone a light up his nostrils and said there is still some abnormal discharge, although less than on the last visit.

As he has already had a course of broad-spectrum antibiotics and is not unwell in any other regard (no fever, weight stable, eating and drinking well, urination and bowels normal, very active and behaving normally) - on veterinary advice we are going to give a few more days to see if it clears up (as his antibiotics only just finished).

If it doesn't, then we will take him back in and the vet will take samples and do some cultures to try to work out what is causing it.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK we went back to the vet, as Sonic is still a bit congested. We were given a number of treatment options, from referral to the hospital for full on MRI scan and nasal endoscopy at the top end, to do nothing at the bottom end of the scale - as he is in fine fettle other than being a bit snotty, we are going to try a long course of a different type of antibiotics first.

If that doesn't work, or if at any point things get worse, we will scale up the treatment. If he were having nosebleeds/off his food/pawing at his face we would go straight to having the MRI right now, but I think it's worth trying antibiotics first - we should know within 1-2 weeks whether the treatment is making a difference, if not then we will discuss with our vet again. I am lucky in that I think our vet is extremely good btw. We also have an excellent veterinary hospital not far from here (Wanstead vet hospital)

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well his nasal issues seem to be improving, but he has developed very soft stools due to the antibiotics - I will phone the vet when the clinic opens in the morning to discuss it.

I'm worried about the potential for antibiotic resistant bacteria if I stop the course of treatment now, but also worried about the possibility of dehydration if the runny stools continue (I know how to check the scruff for signs of dehydration, he is ok right now).

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Have you talked with the vet yet? I would think you need to do the entire course of treatment...
Would your vet be ok with plain pumpkin, if you haven't added that to his food already? (I realize there seems to be disagreement lately as to whether pumpkin really helps, but still...)

Also, there are these recipes-they're just as viable for hydration for adult cats, if you're not familiar;
Kitten-Rescue.com

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I spoke to the vet on Monday - he said as he has had 10 days on the antibiotics without seeing much improvement and suffering serious gastric side effects that I was right to not give a dose on Sunday and shouldn't continue with that treatment.

I am to bring him in to see the vet in a few days once his stomach has settled for further treatment, or to discuss how to clear up his stomach and bowel problems if that hasn't settled (and of course to bring him in sooner if anything gets worse)

EDIT: I should add, my vet is really really good and we do have access to referrals to a fantastic veterinary hospital too. As antibiotics did not do the job as expected, we now have to consider the next steps in terms of diagnosis and treatment - maybe a rhinoscopy under sedation to take a look to see if there is any visible issue.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel I should add - I see a lot of folks recommending pumpkin for stuff like this. This is something that may be available all year round to folks in the US, but it isn't available here all year round (from about mid-October to early November fresh) and canned pumpkin just simply does not exist here - I cannot go to any store to buy that, it is simply not popular here and not in stock. It is quite a specific US thing to be able to get that I think :D When I used to have birds I was of course on bird forums, and their equivalent (in terms of advice that didn't translate well) was collard greens - I don't even know what that is and it doesn't exist here :D

Thank you for your good wishes - you are always so helpful and supportive Furballsmom Furballsmom - I really appreciate your posts and likes and help and just general good nature :)

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do feel a little frustrated at this point (and I think the vet is feeling the same way) that we have what appears to be a not very seriously ill cat - in all other regards than the sneezing he is absolutely normal - but that courses of 2 different antibiotics have failed to shake it off entirely.

I feel a little worried about stepping up the treatment if I am being completely honest - next steps are likely to be sedation, rhinoscopy, investigation of the soft palate, possibly an MRI scan - it isn't about the cost (the bill for that lot would be £5k+ but we have insurance), it is about the impact on his life.

Wondering whether we should go that route on account of him having a bit of nasal discharge.

Then you think well what if we left it and then were told at a later date that there was something awfully wrong that would have been treatable if we'd had an earlier diagnosis...

... it's just horrible really, I wish Sonic could talk to me about it and help with these decisions!

I would actually like to hear other peoples' thoughts on this - it may help me to gain some perspective

EDIT TO ADD: He is 12 years old and otherwise appears to be in good health, his weight is within normal parameters, he is eating and drinking well and is active and loving life. He had a load of teeth out last year including one of his canines, but hasn't needed any surgery besides neutering when he was little and 1 dental surgery in his 12 years. He is indoor only, and eats both wet and dry food (mostly wet, but we leave some dry down for them due to that being sometimes convenient for us, none of them overeat or anything)

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're so very welcome!

Can you obtain unflavored psyllium (e.g., Metamucil)? Maybe start with a teaspoon mixed into his food?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will look into that, is that to help regulate his bowels? Will ask at my pharmacy about it.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, was having some internet related issues and accidentally double-posted!