Son And Mother Are Strangers!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seniors cats like things as are & resist change. So #1 are you sure it is worth the effort & stress to get these two senior kitties to interact?

My senior cat Salem (15 years old) moved to my apartment and hid in terror for a couple of days. So I sent him back to my mom’s house where he felt comfortable to live out his last months (he is starting to have kidney failure) & adopted one of the kittens. Since my mom brought those 3 kittens into the house Salem has avoided them. They are now 13 months old and he still avoids them! When I visit he comes to snuggle me but still stays 10 or more feet away. He just doesn’t want to deal with them and his personality chooses avoidance over fights.

Now if you want to introduce them I suggest you buy two kitty t-shirts and wash them in unscented stuff. Then have each cat wear it for a week, then switch t-shirts every week (or bandannas or scent soaking collar.) Your goal is to get them to smell like each other, because cats think ‘if they smell like me they are my friend.’

With Jackie & Nick I brush one then the other & switch harnesses they will wear outside each week (Jackie & I visit for one day/night each weekend.)

In your case I would suggest swapping cat beds & card board scratchers to spread their scents in each other’s territory. I would also ‘site swap’ every day for a couple of hours.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
So #1 are you sure it is worth the effort & stress to get these two senior kitties to interact?

Now if you want to introduce them I suggest you buy two kitty t-shirts and wash them in unscented stuff. Then have each cat wear it for a week, then switch t-shirts every week (or bandannas or scent soaking collar.) Your goal is to get them to smell like each other, because cats think ‘if they smell like me they are my friend.’

In your case I would suggest swapping cat beds & card board scratchers to spread their scents in each other’s territory. I would also ‘site swap’ every day for a couple of hours.
There hasn't been too much "effort & stress"... They have been aware of each other's existence in the house since July 27th when I brought Fayola inside. As I have said before, they are doing a lot better now. None of them are showing signs of stress.

Putting a shirt, collar, or anything like that on Fayola would be cruel. She was an outdoor cat and doesn't like being handled in that way. No way I'd be able to get a shirt on her... or a collar.

Things are pretty okay now so I think they will be fine.