Somewhat Unadoptable Misfit Cats Available For Forever Homes...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some bad news about a little kitten I found in November. He was named Timmy. He was adopted, but got returned because he was pooping everywhere. The vet can't figure out why he has chronic diarrhea and says he will have to be an outdoor kitty. The rescue doesn't adopt out outdoor kitties, they require them to be inside, so I don't know what is going to happen with the poor little guy. Here is a picture of him on the day I found him:

OrangeKitten.jpg

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some bad news about a little kitten I found in November. He was named Timmy. He was adopted, but got returned because he was pooping everywhere. The vet can't figure out why he has chronic diarrhea and says he will have to be an outdoor kitty. The rescue doesn't adopt out outdoor kitties, they require them to be inside, so I don't know what is going to happen with the poor little guy. Here is a picture of him on the day I found him:

View attachment 281040
When it comes to diet issues vets aren't always helpful...For him it would be good to see if he does well on raw food. It's the only thing that cured my diarrhea cat. Some cats really can't eat processed food. :/ Most people can't or won't feed raw so it's a big challenge.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When it comes to diet issues vets aren't always helpful...For him it would be good to see if he does well on raw food. It's the only thing that cured my diarrhea cat. Some cats really can't eat processed food. :/ Most people can't or won't feed raw so it's a big challenge.
Yes, I was thinking a raw diet might help too. There's probably not that many fosters willing to do the raw diet though.

ZepMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
surya surya , one of my boys has a very sensitive stomach among other things (weak immune type issues IMO, but no clear diagnoses).

Do you know if they have tried a probotic? My vet recommended prescription food, but he won't eat it. However, I have him on the probotics they recommended. It takes time, trying different foods, supplements & meds for my boy. No outside litterbox accidents, but scooping 3 or 4 times each day when he was having diarrhea. Vet did say allow up to 4 weeks to see consistent results on same food & probotic.

He eats mostly wet food & many are surprised by the brand & formula he eats. Current one is very similar to another brand he did well on, but it was discontinued last year. Also, he's has done fine on a food for 6 mths or longer, then has a problem & refuses to eat it.

Wanted to share that sometimes its trial & error. What works for one may not work for another or what works today can change tomorrow.

I agree that stress could be a factor. I researched IBS mostly & found a lot of conflicting info, but had do something. Looked into raw, but my vet was against it. This is recommended quite often.

Praying a solution can be found to help Timmy. He looks like a really sweetheart!

Last edited:

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
surya surya , one of my boys has a very sensitive stomach among other things (weak immune type issues IMO, but no clear diagnoses).

Do you know if they have tried a probotic? My vet recommended prescription food, but he won't eat it. However, I have him on the probotics they recommended. It takes time, trying different foods, supplements & meds for my boy. No outside litterbox accidents, but scooping 3 or 4 times each day when he was having diarrhea. Vet did say allow up to 4 weeks to see consistent results on same food & probotic.

He eats mostly wet food & many are surprised by the brand & formula he eats. Current one is very similar to another brand he did well on, but it was discontinued last year. Also, he's has done fine on a food for 6 mths or longer, then has a problem & refuses to eat it.

Wanted to share that sometimes its trial & error. What works for one may not work for another or what works today can change tomorrow.

I agree that stress could be a factor. I researched IBS mostly & found a lot of conflicting info, but had do something. Looked into raw, but my vet was against it. This is recommended quite often.

Praying a solution can be found to help Timmy. He looks like a really sweetheart!
Thanks, what kind of food do you feed your kitty? My friend said Timmy is on an allergy free food and it helps a little bit. I am sure they have tried probiotics, because she has brought me some for kittens I have helped foster.

ZepMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His current food is Natural Balance turkey & giblets and indoor chicken formula wet food. He also eats Nulo duck & cod and Hill Science Diet oral care dry food. He only gets a tiny amount of dry. Feeding 4 small meals a day.

Pretty sure this goes against what is recommended. Usually novelty proteins or raw diet is suggested, NO chicken or turkey & NO grains. BUT Natural Balance ingredients were similar to Nutro Max that was discontinued. Nutro was his "brother's" food. I tired a lot of different foods before he decided to eat his brother's after his last flare up.

I can't remember how long he was on Nutro Max. Before Nutro was 4Health grain free chicken for maybe 6 months. And before 4Health was the Nutro Max.

When he gets diarrhea, he refuses to eat his current food. Usually a few days to find something he will eat while on metronidazole. Its been over a year since his last flare up.

Using Purina Pro Plan FortiFlora for almost 2 years.The other one just wasn't helping like it had during other flare ups. We've kept him on probotics as a preventive instead of a treatment.

Sometimes you just have to try different foods & supplements. Maybe there's something that has work for Casper that will help Timmy.

Last edited:

ZepMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wish I had a network of cat lovers to ask for assistance. The Cat Site is about the only place I get to interact with other cat lovers. When I do talk about my cats, I often asked if I want another one. Seems like so many are looking for a good home.

I've been checking the link pretty often. Thought more would sign up over the weekend. I'm still hoping there are some new drivers not listed due to the approval process. I keep thinking about Tom, Reggie & Harry.

Wish I enjoyed traveling more. However, its not my thing & if its a new place I tend to get lost. Not great in a situation like this one.

Will contine sending positive thoughts & prayers.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*PRAYERS* that those spots will be filled quickly by responsible and caring drivers!
As for Timmy (and everycat else!) each cat, like each person, is an individual. What I do not like about allopathic (symptom-based, western protocol) medicine is that it tends to group patients and treat them with a limited number of things that are thought to work well, not taking into account individuality. There is no "right" or "wrong" where these matters are concerned -- there is what works, and what does not work. I agree that the stress of being in a non-home environment may contribute to Timmy's current problem. Many people experience the same effect in high-stress situations. Cats being far more sensitive than humans, would have more potential problems. Calm, serenity, love and caring may make a big difference for this little cutie! *PRAYERS* that it will be so.