Sometimes you have to.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Make figaro a catio where he is able to hang out on his own if he wants to, and also get his hearing checked, probably explains the blank stares when you are instructing him and him doing what he wants to do, and this is probably an issue with other cats as well as he can see his surroundings but cant hear them or able to react to the other cats or to you the way you want him too.

Making him a catio is the best option for him:
1. he will be able to hide and hang out there if it gets too stressful for him with the other cats being around or too stressfull for you.
2. He is still in a safe home with you being looked after and cared for.
3. He will be outside, have shelter food and water and other cats to hang around with so see smell and not feel alone.
4. He isnt in a shelter or pound.
5. he wont be with someone and then either abused or returned to the shelter or left on the streets to fend for himself.
6. You will be able to have a one on one time with him in a separate environment away from the other cats interfering to figure out what the problem is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
The rescue group may require that you return him to them. Look at your contract (or try to find their contract online if you don't have your copy anymore) to see if they have that requirement.

I think the chances that you'll be able to find him a good home are extremely low. So it seems kind of moot to talk about it. But if you can, go for it. But the catio may be the only option.

I don't have the contract anymore but they did say I could always return him to them so I am assuming that is what they want me to do. I think you are right about finding him a good home because he is so obnoxious, but he may well be a different cat with a different person.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the idea of a catio for Figaro. Despite his bad behaviour you are obviously very fond of him and have tried hard to get him to behave. Who knows, if he has a lovely safe outdoor space he might just change his ways and start to behave himself. Its worth trying.

Thank you, yes I do love him despite everything.

I sure hope so, somethings gotta give.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you return him to the rescue, you more or less know what will happen to him. Do they have a euthanasia clause for any animal they deem unadoptable after a period of time? If you were theoretically able to rehome him, you would have to stay in touch with the new owners with the understanding that you would take him back, and even then something could go wrong and he could be lost or escape.

From your description of him, he does have some neurological issue which may be as impenetrable as autism, whether of not cats actually can be on the spectrum. I did, BTW, google that book and it is designed to help kids who are on the spectrum, not to make a cat joke at their expense. Personally, I do think that cats can have an alternative type of personality which might seem similar to us as autism, whether or not it is.

I have to agree that a catio sounds like his best bet, mostly because you care so much about him, if for no other reason.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some deaf cats meow more often and more loudly, because they cannot regulate their “volume,” while others become mute.
  1. A lack of response to everyday sounds that would ordinarily elicit a response (opening a can of food or shaking a bag of treats)
  2. Not hearing your footsteps when you come close.
  3. Being a very sound sleeper.
  4. Meowing very loudly or mute
  5. Failure to respond when called.
Does your cat do any of these things ?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Some deaf cats meow more often and more loudly, because they cannot regulate their “volume,” while others become mute.
  1. A lack of response to everyday sounds that would ordinarily elicit a response (opening a can of food or shaking a bag of treats)
  2. Not hearing your footsteps when you come close.
  3. Being a very sound sleeper.
  4. Meowing very loudly or mute
  5. Failure to respond when called.
Does your cat do any of these things ?

He only meows softly if he gets hurt. He will flick his tongue in and out when he gets nervous.

For reasons that are foreign to me, this is a cat who just doesn't have a clue.