Sometimes you have to.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I have given this difficult matter some long and hard thought and have reached the decision to re-home Figaro. This is the first time in my life that I have had to say this, but I am in over my head with this cat. Figgy is just too disruptive, destructive, and headstrong- it is always a war of the wills with him and me. To put it bluntly- he has horrible habits- and I can't seem to change him. He won't learn the word no and it is either his way or the highway. If it was just him and me I would be more than willing to work with him, but with 12 other cats (Good Grief!), there is simply no time for a one on one.

Figaro is a very nice cat (he really is), he loves people, he loves to snuggle, and he never ever hurts me, but he is raising my stress level, hell, he's raising everyone's stress level.

My question is this: do I return him back to the rescue group or find a home for him on my own? I cringe when I think of the rescue groups, or my vet, stuffing Figgy inside a cage where he will linger for weeks or months and I can't bear the thought of anyone mistreating him because he is so obnoxious.

I have never given up on an animal, but after two and a half years, I know that he is never going to change.

I will post some pics of him later.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Can Figaro just be an outdoor cat ? Let him in for a time then out he goes. If you have a patio that could be a simple solution.

Thank you, James C, that's great idea, he does like to go outdoors. I would have to install a type of cattery for him because my street is way too busy.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can build a catio for him so he can spend as much time as he wants outside that could be a good solution, but if you do end up rehoming him I would try to find someone to take him. Unless it's a Cat that enjoys a shelter setting (some Cats do) it would be much less stressful to go from one home to another rather than back to a cage.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can build a catio for him so he can spend as much time as he wants outside that could be a good solution, but if you do end up rehoming him I would try to find someone to take him. Unless it's a Cat that enjoys a shelter setting (some Cats do) it would be much less stressful to go from one home to another rather than back to a cage.

Thank you, Talien, for replying.

This is a really hard decision to make and I appreciate your input. In his own little weird way I know that Figgy loves me and it is so painful to shun him.

I want him to have a good life. Even though Figaro is an excellent mouser (one of the problems), I do not want him to spend the rest of his life in a barn, he deserves to be loved and paid attention to. One of my greatest fears is to ever put one of my animal compaions in harm's way by placing them into an abusive situation. I know that Figaro can push buttons and that makes him extra susceptible.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think you should put him outdoors, outdoor cats shouldn't be an option unless there is no other choice.
I think you should consider re-homing him, if you guys don't get along and you've already considered it, I don't think there's a question about whether or not to do it. If you've known him for 2 years; I'd say you'd be the best to find him a home. You can give people all of his needs and nobody will be going into having him unprepared; if he's truly a bit of a jackass. Plus it will bode better on his mental and physical health.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also go with a catio, a large one - complete with all his basic necessities and toys. The way you describe him could be that he would end up being returned to a shelter by another family, and you will always wonder what has happened to him. In the catio you will always be together, although the setting would not be same like before. Besides, he knows YOU as his human. Putting him in another home may not be the best for him as it may confuse him.

This is just my input. But I do hope if you ever find him a home it would be with someone you trust and you can visit once in a while.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The rescue group may require that you return him to them. Look at your contract (or try to find their contract online if you don't have your copy anymore) to see if they have that requirement.

I think the chances that you'll be able to find him a good home are extremely low. So it seems kind of moot to talk about it. But if you can, go for it. But the catio may be the only option.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
IF a catio is a possibility, I'd strongly suggest going with that. He'd be where you can give him the love and attention you want him to have, but you'd also get a bit of a break from his more annoying habits. There are a HOST of good catio plans and kits available with a quick google search, as well.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Yes - that is exactly my fear as well. I have a few cats that I know cannot be adopted by the average person. 😼
I would also go with a catio, a large one - complete with all his basic necessities and toys. The way you describe him could be that he would end up being returned to a shelter by another family, and you will always wonder what has happened to him. In the catio you will always be together, although the setting would not be same like before. Besides, he knows YOU as his human. Putting him in another home may not be the best for him as it may confuse him.

This is just my input. But I do hope if you ever find him a home it would be with someone you trust and you can visit once in a while.

IF a catio is a possibility, I'd strongly suggest going with that. He'd be where you can give him the love and attention you want him to have, but you'd also get a bit of a break from his more annoying habits. There are a HOST of good catio plans and kits available with a quick google search, as well.

Thank you, Mamany, James C, and Maria Bayote. :)

There is something definitely wrong with Figaro. I don't know if any of you had ever seen the movie, Tommy, but I saw it for the first time two years ago and I find myself singing that one song, "Tommy Can You Hear Me?", only substituting Figaro for Tommy.

Figgy can you hear me?
Can you feel me near you?
Figgy can you see me?
Can I help to cheer you?

It's like nothing gets through to him! His eyes are blank, almost like there is nothing behind them. I will hold him sometimes and force him to look at me as I keep saying his name over and over, he hardly ever reacts. I have never had a cat like Figaro, and to be honest, I don't know how to reach him.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had a cat like Figaro, and to be honest, I don't know how to reach him.
You are the only one who can probably understand this cat, so I kindly suggest that you keep him but in a comfie catio. Maybe living in a catio would make him better in personality. Goodluck and I do hope everything works out much better for you and Figaro.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
You are the only one who can probably understand this cat, so I kindly suggest that you keep him but in a comfie catio. Maybe living in a catio would make him better in personality. Goodluck and I do hope everything works out much better for you and Figaro.

Thank you, I am looking at kits now.

I guess, with all that I had said about him, that you know what my next question will be: Can cats have Autism?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with the idea of a catio for Figaro. Despite his bad behaviour you are obviously very fond of him and have tried hard to get him to behave. Who knows, if he has a lovely safe outdoor space he might just change his ways and start to behave himself. Its worth trying.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
From what I was able to find, cats do NOT have autism. However, they can express many of the symptoms due to other causes. I'd suggest that you first have a good, thorough general checkup, and make sure his hearing is tested. Second, if everything is normal, ask for a referral to a feline neurologist. And keep exploring those kits!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I was able to find, cats do NOT have autism. However, they can express many of the symptoms due to other causes. I'd suggest that you first have a good, thorough general checkup, and make sure his hearing is tested. Second, if everything is normal, ask for a referral to a feline neurologist. And keep exploring those kits!

Thank you, Mamany. My poor baby, I will have him checked out. I also am going to try to train to walk on a leash.