Sometimes goes in the closet

firehawk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's one thing after another with my 10 month old kitty Zoom.

He seems fine but there are times he goes in the closet and just stays there, does nothing and comes out even when we were just playing.

What does this mean?

He is an indoor cat. A short hair domestic cat. Has his own bedroom too... Prefers mama human more than me and sleeps on mama human than me. Lol

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Can you keep track of things that happen right before he goes into the closet, and see if there's a pattern? Listen for things, see if there's anything happening outside etc. There's also the possibility he's hearing something, like construction that might not be audible to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

firehawk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Certainly will keep an eye out but honestly, no other sounds in the area we live in. It's a gated community also.
Sometimes he will just go randomly. Or even after playing... rests on the floor then just will walk into the closet.

We mostly spend our time in the bedroom (TV is there... SO spends most time in the bedroom compared to living room).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

firehawk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not recently. He had his nails cut 2 weeks ago? No issues. He has that once a month. Last wellness check was a few months ago and everything was "good" according to the vet.

KittenAppliance

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If he is eating and drinking fine and still alert/active and responsive if you try to interact with him while he's in there... he may just enjoy the closet. One of my cats had a spot in my closet that he decided was his new bedroom for about 5 months. For a while his new bedroom was on top of all of our shoes in a shoe bin. The trouble with cats is that sometimes it's hard to tell when they're just being weirdos or if they're not feeling well.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy Patches will go into closets and drawers rather than sleep in his cat bed. He's always done this since being a kitten just likes to be inside something to sleep. He's even been shut in the drawer underneath the bed. I heard him scratching and wondered where he was. Hubby had taken a towel out while getting ready for work. He didn't know the cat had followed him into the bedroom and kicked the drawer shut. Patches didn't make a sound until he woke up and couldn't get out. That's when I heard him. Still hasn't stopped him going into drawers but we check he's not inside now before closing them.:lol:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats do like to explore and some do like to sleep in enclosed spaces.
:yeah: Exactly!

Ever since we adopted Carleton he's fascinated with my closet and tries to get in every chance he gets. I'm sure if I left it open 24/7 he'd sleep in there too. We had another cat in our last house who went into our bedroom closet and slept in the laundry basket. However, he started doing this after our second child was born which I'm sure was the antecedent.

As A Alldara mentioned it sounds like he just likes to sleep in an enclosed space. If you could get a pic of him doing this next time we'd love to see it. :camera:

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat would absolutely be in my closet if I let her. She is definitely a cave dweller and less of a tree dweller. It also could be the smell of shoes. They cannot resist a good stinky sneaker.