Something weird is going on with my ovary/uterus

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, in December was the first time it was really bad. I ended up in the ER with morphine and antinausea meds and still ended up throwing up from the pain. It hurt so bad I was in tears even after 800mg of Ibuprofen, and 1000mg of Tylenol.

Since December I had one more episode in which I was almost in tears, but it only lasted for 3 days rather than 5 (this was last month). It hurts every time anything with my reproductive organs happens. For example, period and ovulating. The last time was when I ovulated.

I went to the doctor on Monday and got an ultrasound done on Tuesday. I called to ask about it, but I'm still waiting for a call back. My doc thinks I might have endometriosis. The tech said she didn't see anything with my ovary, but the radiologist still needed to look at it and then call my doctor. My doc wants to do a scope-forget the technical term-exam. That involves putting a scope through my belly button and looking around. I'm still hurting really bad from the ultrasound because she touched my ovary with the ultrasound thing

I'm really frustrated and I wish they could figure out what's wrong with me

Anyone have experience with this? I have prescription pain meds for when it bothers me. When it's really bad it hurts to pee as well. Up inside, not like when you have bladder infection. It makes me cry and almost scream
then it goes away after a few days (when I'm done ovulating or menstruating)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't, but my mother had bad endometriosis. I remember how bad it was for her.
She eventually got a full hysterectomy (at age 33).

I've had an ultrasound when in the middle of a bad gallbladder attack, so I do know how it feels when they start pressing down when you're already incredibly sore.
Did hitting the tech or cussing go through the back of your mind, too?

I'd call again, soon, since this is Friday. Waiting all weekend is going to make you worry more.

I hope you can get an answer and some relief soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I don't, but my mother had bad endometriosis. I remember how bad it was for her.
She eventually got a full hysterectomy (at age 33).

I've had an ultrasound when in the middle of a bad gallbladder attack, so I do know how it feels when they start pressing down when you're already incredibly sore.
Did hitting the tech or cussing go through the back of your mind, too?

I'd call again, soon, since this is Friday. Waiting all weekend is going to make you worry more.

I hope you can get an answer and some relief soon.
Oh man, that's what I'm worried is going to happen to me
I just hope I'm able to have a kid first. I'm only 23 so hopefully I have some time before it gets really bad. I just hope I'll have the option to wait a few more years. I would really hate to have a kid when I'm not ready just to have a kid

I might have to call again soon... And yes I wanted to hit her!
She kept pushing on it and tears where in my eyes. She says "oh I'm sorry, did that hurt?"

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you are going through this, I know how you feel. I ended up with a total hysterectomy at age 27, after the doc kept taking me apart peice by peice. I had massive adhesions, and everytime I had another surgery to remove the adhesion and an ovary here, a tube there, the adhesion would come back even worse.

I did not have endometriosis though, I had tremendous scarring from Pelvic Inflammatory Disease and ruptured cysts on my ovaries. It was an awful scary time, two years of it. The depression of being "barren" afterward was difficult too. However the freedom from pain, and it took another full year to recover completely, was immeasurable.

Keep us posted on how you are doing. How old are you?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mother had me when she was 20, before the endo really started up. After she started having problems with it the the longest she carried another baby was 3 months. Her mother had her and her brother young, as well, then couldn't have any more - with a hysterectomy at age 34.
So far I think I've escape that fate.

I know a lot of women can keep the endo under control if they stay on BC. The big worry is that it can spread all throughout the abdomen, and rarely even further.
Do what's best for you, please don't ever put your life at risk.

Personally, I think adoption is a wonderful thing, if you ever find out you can't have children.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

I'm sorry you are going through this, I know how you feel. I ended up with a total hysterectomy at age 27, after the doc kept taking me apart peice by peice. I had massive adhesions, and everytime I had another surgery to remove the adhesion and an ovary here, a tube there, the adhesion would come back even worse.

I did not have endometriosis though, I had tremendous scarring from Pelvic Inflammatory Disease and ruptured cysts on my ovaries. It was an awful scary time, two years of it. The depression of being "barren" afterward was difficult too. However the freedom from pain, and it took another full year to recover completely, was immeasurable.

Keep us posted on how you are doing. How old are you?
That is so sad. I could imagine the thought of being barren is really hard. I'm a little depressed thinking that it's a possibility

I'm 23. I hope they figure this out soon. I never really wanted kids till about 6 months ago when my fiance was going through chemo and the doctor said he might not be able to have kids. Once I was told we might not be able to have them I wanted them
My fiance has always wanted kids really bad.

Originally Posted by strange_wings

My mother had me when she was 20, before the endo really started up. After she started having problems with it the the longest she carried another baby was 3 months. Her mother had her and her brother young, as well, then couldn't have any more - with a hysterectomy at age 34.
So far I think I've escape that fate.

I know a lot of women can keep the endo under control if they stay on BC. The big worry is that it can spread all throughout the abdomen, and rarely even further.
Do what's best for you, please don't ever put your life at risk.

Personally, I think adoption is a wonderful thing, if you ever find out you can't have children.
Oh wow. That's sad about your mom and your grandmother. I'm glad you have escaped that fate so far! That's what the problem is, I've been on BC for 4.5 years. I don't know what's going on.

Thank you so much for the kind words, and I will keep adoption in the back of my mind. I called again, and they said he hasn't had a chance to look at it yet....

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweetie, I don't have any advice but I wanted to let you know I'm sending tons of your way for a quick diagnosis and an end to your pain.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

Sweetie, I don't have any advice but I wanted to let you know I'm sending tons of your way for a quick diagnosis and an end to your pain.

I hope they get to the bottom of it quickly hun.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

Thank you

I guess I won't find out till Monday. They never called me back

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

Thank you

I guess I won't find out till Monday. They never called me back
the waiting must be terrible. that the doctor finds out what is going on, and that they will be able to help you. I struggled with infertility.
I have 3 beautiful adopted children.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have my sympathy and understanding. When Dottie had her hysterectomy, they found a bunch of endometriosis. She had handled it stoically for years, thinking it was just normal. It made me sad that she had had to tolerate that. They never suspected it, either.

But you sound like the classic set of symptoms. I hope they help you soon.

And, for a sympathetic take on all this, let me recommend you ladies read "A Doemain of Our Own," by Susan Rankin. Not many comics deal with such subjects, but hers was a great one. The link below is the beginning of the archives.

A Domain of Our Own

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kailie

I hope they get to the bottom of it quickly hun.
Thank you

Originally Posted by mbjerkness

the waiting must be terrible. that the doctor finds out what is going on, and that they will be able to help you. I struggled with infertility.
I have 3 beautiful adopted children.
Thank you. And that's amazing you have 3 adopted children. That's very awesome.

Originally Posted by mrblanche

You have my sympathy and understanding. When Dottie had her hysterectomy, they found a bunch of endometriosis. She had handled it stoically for years, thinking it was just normal. It made me sad that she had had to tolerate that. They never suspected it, either.

But you sound like the classic set of symptoms. I hope they help you soon.

And, for a sympathetic take on all this, let me recommend you ladies read "A Doemain of Our Own," by Susan Rankin. Not many comics deal with such subjects, but hers was a great one. The link below is the beginning of the archives.

A Domain of Our Own
Oh wow

After I read about endometriosis I couldn't believe how textbook my symptoms are! I hope I get help soon too! I don't know if there is anything they can do to stop the pain short of a hysterectomy, but I hope there is something! My pain is getting worse as the days drag on since the ultrasound. I just hope I don't have another episode.
I think it's time for some pain meds, I hate taking meds and try to hold out as long as I can, but I have a feeling I won't be able to sleep tonight if I don't take something.

Thanks for the link, I'll have to check it out.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The web comic I linked to above is a reflection of Susan Rankin's actual life. Yes, she had serious surgery twice. Yes, it left her sterile. And yes, her husband ended up leaving her over it.

But Susan had several things going for her, not the least of which is that she is a cat lover, as you will discover.

And I liked her reply after surgery. Dottie sympathizes with it:

"How do you feel?"

"Like a gutted fish."

But even in the comic, you can read her pain.

(Hey, does enjoying this kind of comic make me gay? I don't think so, but....)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

(Hey, does enjoying this kind of comic make me gay? I don't think so, but....)
There are certainly more inane things to spend your time reading online.

I don't understand how anyone could leave a partner over sterility (just that, not other issues). What sort of partner is the person wanting a child if they can just up and leave like that? Would they have done it anyways if there had been a child and things hadn't went as they planned?

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had an ectopic pregnancy (started with laparoscopy to check things out first), and my surgeon found severe endometriosis. I was married for 2 years, no kids yet. To top it off, I had only one working fallopian tube after the surgery for the ectopic pregnancy.

You can have mild endometriosis with a lot of pain, or severe endometriosis with very little or no pain, or anything in between. So your pain does not necessarily mean you have a lot of endometriosis. The laparoscopy is not fun, but not so bad, but it is surgery so give yourself time to recover.

The good news is I was able to get pregnant 5 months* after the ectopic pregnanacy and we had our baby girl.
We were only able to have one child, but really that's enough for us.
There are many variables so try not to stress about future children too much, first get yourself feeling okay.

*My doctor put me on Lupron Depot for 5 months to help.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I had an ectopic pregnancy (started with laparoscopy to check things out first), and my surgeon found severe endometriosis. I was married for 2 years, no kids yet. To top it off, I had only one working fallopian tube after the surgery for the ectopic pregnancy.

You can have mild endometriosis with a lot of pain, or severe endometriosis with very little or no pain, or anything in between. So your pain does not necessarily mean you have a lot of endometriosis. The laparoscopy is not fun, but not so bad, but it is surgery so give yourself time to recover.

The good news is I was able to get pregnant 5 months* after the ectopic pregnanacy and we had our baby girl.
We were only able to have one child, but really that's enough for us.
There are many variables so try not to stress about future children too much, first get yourself feeling okay.

*My doctor put me on Lupron Depot for 5 months to help.
Thank you for your reply.

It makes me really sad thinking that I could be the problem my fiance and I won't be able to have children. All the time and pain he went through with chemotherapy, two surgeries, time to heal, and then I'm the problem.
Life is so unfair.

I'm still hurting today
I wish Monday would hurry up so I can go on with the next step. Thank you for the info about the scope, it doesn't sound very fun, and that was a good reminder to give myself time to recover.

I'm so glad you were able to have one child

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't jump to any conclusions about infertility yet. You don't know what the diagnosis is; try to keep a positive outlook.
As for the laparoscopy, I had one years ago (and a D&C at the same time, looking for fertility problems). the worst part was coming out of the anesthesia. I think that was because I was a nervous wreck going into it and my body just over-reacted. It took a full day to recover from being knocked out, and I was sore the next day but I only had to contend with 2 stitches. Of course, everyone heals at a different but I know you'll do just fine.
Hopefully, you'll get your test results tomorrow (keep on the dr. until you do!) and it won't be as bad as you're thinking. I do hope you can be pain-free soon; sending more healing and a (((BIG HUG))) your way.

chinacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hopefully whatever is causing the pain can be easily treated
I'm sure if it is endometriosis it can be treated without resorting to a hysterectomy.
I know how miserable the monthly pain must make you. Last year I was diagnosed with fibroids and suffer terrible pain due to them. Sometimes I don't think people appreciate how much disruption it causes to your life.
My best wishes for a positive outcome.