Something is wrong with my cat.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's been a while since I've been here but I need to pick your brains and see what you all think.

I work in a veterinary clinic. My cat Napolean will be 7yrs old this year. He has severe food allergies and eats canned food only due to crystals in his urine. The canned food diet has entirely cleared his pee of crystals. His food allergies are so bad he reacts the list to fish only foods. He's been eating Fancy Feast Fish & Shrimp primarily, figured I would feed the cheap stuff until he reacts to it. He also gets Evanger's mackerel, as well as Evanger's Canned Salmon. About a week ago he started eating less, I bought him some cans of Tiki Cat and it would take him all day to eat a 5oz can. I talked to a coworker and she suggested his teeth might be bothering him. He definitely has some tarter build up, we drew a big panel and here are all of the "high" values. Nothing was seriously alarming but I thought I would share:

Creatinine - 2.4 [0.6-2.4]

Na/K Ratio - 42 [32-41]

Cholesterol - 299 [75-220]

Lipase - 234 [0-205]

WBC - 19.4 [3.5-16.0]

Neutrophils - 9506 [2500-8500]

Lymphocytes - 8730 [1200-8000]

My vet thinks we should biopsy his intestines while he is out because he suspects IBD. Napolean's poop is normal and he hasn't been vomiting - generally speaking.

I went out and bought a bag of Nature's Domain kibble last night. I offered him a 1/4 of a cup and he ate it right away [after only eating half of his breakfast from yesterday.]. I offered another 1/4 of a cup and it was gone. Today I gave him 1/2 cup and he ate one kibble and walked away from the dish. About an hour later there was puked up water in the hall and I know it was him because the dogs I have are not allowed in that part of the house. I offered him some canned salmon a little later, maybe 2tbsp. It took him all day but most of the salmon is gone and I'd say he's eaten 3/4 of the kibble I offered. This is very much not like him, he's a chow hound and goes crazy at breakfast and dinner time. Tonight he hasn't been begging for food at all.

I'm really concerned about taking him in Wednesday to anesthetize him. Unfortunately regardless of what procedures we do or don't do he will have to be put under anesthesia because he is horrible at the clinic. We drew his blood at my house and he was amazing for it. I can do anything to him at home, but take him to work and he hates me and hates the clinic. I'm really concerned that he will potentially die under anesthesia because something is wrong and we don't know what it is. Three years ago on the 20th of this month my cat Pause died under anesthesia, the circumstances were slightly different - he gave blood for a transfusion, but he was having ongoing bladder issues and before he died had an x-ray taken which revealed a bladder stone so he was essentially sick when he was put under. A lot of factors came in to play that day but given that it is so close to the anniversary of his death I'm really, really worried about Napolean.

I realize that he will have to go in [we're planning for Wednesday] and we need to do something. I guess I'm just wondering - does this really sound like IBD? Any other suggestions? I also ran an FIV/FeLV snap test and he was negative. Right now the plan is to clean his teeth, take biopsies, and do x-rays. If anyone has anything else to add I would SO appreciate it.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you are going through these troubles.....
One possibility that I can see, is that your kitty is eating a diet that is 100% fish based.... and that can be problematic long term.... Some kitties will go into a huger strike, and at that point, they will be so addicted to fish, they will also refuse to eat anything else.... Fish should really be fed sparingly - especially for a cat with urinary issues....
http://www.littlebigcat.com/nutrition/why-fish-is-dangerous-for-cats/

Will your kitty eat raw meat? have you tried giving Napoleon bits of raw chicken? Will he eat? Would you consider it? Woks like nothing else for IBD.... It is great for allergies too, and he would,of course, get all the moisture he needs to keep his urinary system in check. Just a thought to consider if you run out of options with commercial diets.... I did, and all problems with Bugsy's IBD completely resolved once I went raw.
By the way, he could not eat chicken on commercial diets, as it gave him explosive diarrhea,but as long as it is free range/vegetarian fed, he takes it like a champ! Keep that in mind.....
Food for thought - it might be a solution for you, and give you more control..... In any case, I would consider taking him off of the fish diet, even if it means going to a novelty single protein diet.
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately he cannot eat other proteins because he will scratch his ears and face off. I have recently given him things like rabbit and duck again to see if he was still allergic, and he still is. He cannot have chicken, raw or cooked - we've tried it. I've honestly tried it all, lamb, pork, turkey, buffalo, elk, beaver, chicken, beef, venison, duck, rabbit, etc. Even on fish protein he will go through periods where his ears get gross but he doesn't tear up his face like he does on other foods.

Thank you for the reply.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have tried those proteins in raw? Duck, rabbit, venison, etc? It makes a wolrd of a difference... Even what they eat while they are being "farmed" makes a difference... Anyways good luck in whatever you decide! .:vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You have tried those proteins in raw? Duck, rabbit, venison, etc? It makes a wolrd of a difference... Even what they eat while they are being "farmed" makes a difference... Anyways good luck in whatever you decide! .

Some of them I have tried in the raw, the Beaver, Elk, Venison, and Turkey have all been both raw, cooked, and canned. I have a lot of hunters and farmers in my family the elk and venison were wild, the turkey was home grown. The chicken I've tried has been 'Rad Cat' mostly along with home grown. He reacts to the proteins in any form. If it were as simple as feeding him raw chicken I would sooo be doing it.

It took him all night last night but he ate 1/2 cup of food yesterday. Today he ate most of his breakfast, I offered him dinner and he's eaten about 1/4 of a cup. I'm not sure if I will be moving forward with intestinal biopsies but I definitely will be doing his teeth if he continues feeling well.