Something i pulled out of cats skin.

Jumpier160

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So we pulled out this thing from one of the cats next the L. Arm pit on the chest. Does anyone have any ideas?
20200408_123430.jpg
20200408_124200.jpg

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it might be a tick...or part of one.

Does the cat go outside?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jumpier160

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No never. We thought a tick originally but it looks like a worm? Or like a huge blackhead

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would guess tick, but im not a vet. Others better qualified might respond here.

A tick changes its size, shape and color as it feeds, so its hard to tell for certain, until its fed and removed just what it is.

How is the cat behaving?

You might want to send a picture of the specimen to your vet for advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jumpier160

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No it didnt bleed afterwords. And he was fine with it. Never acted like it hurt.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Almost looks like a botfly or something. Theoretically an indoor cat could get one if a infected mosquito flew in an opened window or door. Very odd. Did it leave a hole in the skin?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, it's not tick. This is what a tick looks like:

I'd email the pictures to the vet and ask.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's some kind of larva. I would definitely contact your vet with the picture and see if you need a specific dewormer.

Edit: a google image search supports the botfly theory. They're not uncommon. But if you're squeamish, take my word for it!

Last edited:

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That first picture almost looks like a weird nipple. The other one looks like a larvae. Perhaps a botfly as mentioned. Just not as deep as when they are normally found? I really don't know.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it’s a cyst or “black head” like u thought. My friend has a cat who has one on his back and she cleans it once every 4-6 months and it always refills. Looks just like this. Makes me kinda queasy :barfgreen:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Because this post is over two years old and the OP was a new member at the time they may not still be active on the site. If you'd like you can start your own thread on the subject and also add a pic. Good luck wishes at your vet appointment tomorrow. Fingers crossed for your cat, please keep us posted on him. :crossfingers:

ellehmg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Turned out it was build up in an inverted nipple I didn't know he had. Vet said you can leave it or remove it but it's nothing serious. If you search cat inverted nipple you will find plenty of pictures of something similar.

jess0424

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Curious also as my cat had something like that.
Hi there! I actually just brought my 6 y/o male cat to the vet due to this...It almost looked like a botfly but he is an indoor only cat, I also thought maybe his nipple was infected somehow. Turns out it was just a "horn" is what the vet called it. She simply pulled it out without any pain to my cat. It may appear again but can be simply pulled out at home. It is a build up of keratin (just like a humans finger nails). Typically they are found on the pads of their feet but, can be found anywhere on the body.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Cutaneous horn. Until it happens or you see one (humans can get them as well), you have no idea that they even exist.