Something awful happened

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As some members have heard me mention, DH and his sisters are participating in a kitten rescue effort. Apparently, someone set out five kittens at my BIL's business. His wife doesn't like cats and so it is up to his three siblings to take care of them, if it's going to be done.

It's still in what I think of as kitten season, and there was no room at our local no kill shelter. DH showed out there and they decided they had room after all. I wasn't there, so I don't know what exactly he said to change their minds.

Anyway, they have captured two of the kittens and my SIL took one of the others. The kittens had fleas, and instead of taking them on to animal control, where they would have been vetted (maybe not very well if we go by Bob, but he didn't have fleas) they took them to the vet. They are too small to be spayed or neutered. I am about sound accusatory, so please forgive me. I am in bed with vertigo, still have pain from the concussion, haven't eaten all day, and am grumpy. And a bit whiny. I also hate what happens next.

They got the Next Guard or whatever it's called for the two kittens. Then, my SIL guessed at the weight of the kitten my other SIL took. She said it was about the same as the little orange and white one. They gave her the medicine, and they put it on the kitten.

I don't exactly what went on, but I am assuming this medicine is a neurotoxin. After they put it on the kitten, something led them to them rushing it to the emergency vet. as a nurse, i am assuming a seizure, because that's happened to a dad that left a lice treatment on his child and forgot to rinse it off.

My SIL described the kitten screaming and said it died in her arms. They told me not to tell DH. The emergency vet confirmed it probably was from the medicine.

I am angry and not sure who is at fault. Should the vet have taken a guesstimate on a tiny kitten he has never seen?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry you are not well. I am also so sorry about this kittens unnecessary death.

Nextgard for cats has the Isoxazoline class of parasitizes in it that has caused seizures in animals. There is a class action law suit against the product and attempts have been made to have it and the other products with Isoxazoline parasitizes in them banned. So far still on the market and still being used. I believe the latest is that there has to be a box warning now.

It is not supposed to be used on kittens weighing under 1.8 lbs or under 8 weeks of age.
There is usually a broad weight range for doses, so I doubt it had anything to do with the weight.
My personal thoughts are that it is a stupid product and all of the products with this class of parasitizes should be banned. And, the vet that prescribed it or used it on the kittens should have his head examined. But, it isn’t my world, and this is just my true thoughts on the matter.
The seizure activity sfter using these products has been all over the vet magazines and websites. I don’t see how any vet could miss this information.
It is so sad and I am sorry this happened.
When I worked at the cat hospital, they started carrying Revolution Plus. It also has this product in it. Revolution ( the regular formula is great) Anyway, I produced studies etc and pitched a fit and they stopped carrying it. I was so sad to see that they now carry it again, when I stopped by to buy food. I don’t work there anymore. it makes me wonder if there isn’t some “great” incentive being given to vets to promote these products .
I do share in your grief and am so sorry this happened.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As some members have heard me mention, DH and his sisters are participating in a kitten rescue effort. Apparently, someone set out five kittens at my BIL's business. His wife doesn't like cats and so it is up to his three siblings to take care of them, if it's going to be done.

It's still in what I think of as kitten season, and there was no room at our local no kill shelter. DH showed out there and they decided they had room after all. I wasn't there, so I don't know what exactly he said to change their minds.

Anyway, they have captured two of the kittens and my SIL took one of the others. The kittens had fleas, and instead of taking them on to animal control, where they would have been vetted (maybe not very well if we go by Bob, but he didn't have fleas) they took them to the vet. They are too small to be spayed or neutered. I am about sound accusatory, so please forgive me. I am in bed with vertigo, still have pain from the concussion, haven't eaten all day, and am grumpy. And a bit whiny. I also hate what happens next.

They got the Next Guard or whatever it's called for the two kittens. Then, my SIL guessed at the weight of the kitten my other SIL took. She said it was about the same as the little orange and white one. They gave her the medicine, and they put it on the kitten.

I don't exactly what went on, but I am assuming this medicine is a neurotoxin. After they put it on the kitten, something led them to them rushing it to the emergency vet. as a nurse, i am assuming a seizure, because that's happened to a dad that left a lice treatment on his child and forgot to rinse it off.

My SIL described the kitten screaming and said it died in her arms. They told me not to tell DH. The emergency vet confirmed it probably was from the medicine.

I am angry and not sure who is at fault. Should the vet have taken a guesstimate on a tiny kitten he has never seen?
So sorry, that is horrific 😿 imo dvm is at fault here. Also I recommend no topical toxin flea treatments for young kittens, just bathe them etc. Don’t put something on your cats etc. you would not put on yourself is my general belief. Sometimes a topical may be needed, but imo advantage is the only “safe” one if you have a real infestation. Even quinn though who had that when he had fleas as a kitten started vomiting right after. I regretted it, he was an older kitten…I should have just given him a bath. And most people know many flea topicals are not to be use for very young kittens.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you both so much. You have no idea. I didn't know if anyone would respond because I ramble on so now. :hugs:
I didn't know of the warnings, but since thier vet is our vet, I am going to have to tell DH. And thank you for letting me know! We go to the same vet; because the office is so close to home. They are really popular (not sure why). I have seen friends that live far away with their pets at the office. They would have had to drive right by other offices to get there.
I will make sure this medicine is not used on any of mine.

If a lice treatment being left on too long sent a little girl into seizures, I am sure this could take down a little animal. BTW, I don't like to say much about patients for their privacy, but she survived after being admitted to the hospital. (She wasn't my patient. She was a friends.) Don't know if she had any permanent damage, but it wasn't something the dad did deliberately. An oversight with terrifying consequences. Thank goodness, the little girl lived.

I know one of the kittens weighed in at two pounds and maybe the other a tiny bit over two. It is entirely possible the one my SIL adopted was a little less.

I do think the vet is at fault. My SILs care about animals. They rushed him to the emergency vet, where you really get into the money. They just didn't know. If Bob wasn't so hard to handle, he would have already been there. We always get flea treatment. Thank you both again. 💓

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry that this happened to the kitten, and equally sorry that you are so sick. I have nothing else to add to the information which has been previously posted because I agree that it is a dangerous product and that it should not have been given to the kitten. There is an FDA warning about the use of that entire class of veterinary medication, the potentially neurotoxic ingredient.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you, fionasmom fionasmom . It has weighed heavily on my mind. I did tell DH, but I pointed out that we put this medicine on Bob and one of our girls, too. I remember specifically because the applicator was different and I told DH he would have to read the instructions. Bob was in bad shape when we adopted him. Apparently, he had tapeworms. His coat was rough and he looked awful in general. Now his coat is sleek and shiny, and his ears are so clean inside that they look like they've been in the dishwasher. I am not crediting this flea medicine with his recovery, except for maybe the tapeworms. I think that is why the vet wanted us to use it. IDK, that poor kitten got so many shots in one week that the only thing I remember was the rabies vaccine.