Something As Good As Arm & Hammer, But Cheaper?

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Side note: five cats, six boxes. Also I am Ohio, US based.

I love arm & hammer clump and seal, but it seems like it clumps too good. Like I have to fill up the litter boxes more often. Is there something out there that is unscented and clumps just as well? Nothing corn based though. I did like tidy cats, but even if I cleaned it out twice a day the boxes still stunk to high heaven.

I can order from chewy.com, so their options are my options. Or maybe a store brand? I have a Rural King, Pets Place, and a Pets Supplies Plus near me.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get Luvsome cat litter, which is the Kroger (grocery store chain -- store names vary between states but you can find yours with a Google search) store brand. It's available in unscented, is cheap, and clumps just like all the other clay based clumping litters. It's also available in a light-weight version, which I'm told is just clumping litter with some kind of grass clippings mixed in (?), which could be a problem with allergies. If it's too stinky just add some baking soda to it, and don't bother spending money on a brand name; get the store brand at your grocery store. Baking soda is baking soda.

Margret

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get the 40-pound box of A&H Double Duty from chewy. If you like Clump and Seal I think you'll like it, and it's one of the cheaper clumping litters available (under $14 for 40 pounds). It is rather strongly scented. . .I'm not sure what Clump & Seal smells like. This site says that A&H unscented is pretty good, I haven't tried it myself though: Cat Litter Comparison Chart - All of Our Cat Litter Reviews

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A&H Multicat Unscented is also available. This is not completely fragrance free, but I don't mind it as much as standard scented or fresh scent litter.
It is better at odor control than A&H fragrance-free clumping litter

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every few months Pet Supplies Plus runs their 40lb store brand for $10/box. I pick up 4 boxes of the unscented. I like it "all right". Some boxes seem dustier than others; some seem not to have much dust at all. It's a little inconsistent, but I think maybe all clay cat litters are. If I run out I buy a local grocery store unscented brand (HEB) that costs slightly over 25 cents per pound for a smaller box. I can't tell any difference between the two.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Every few months Pet Supplies Plus runs their 40lb store brand for $10/box. I pick up 4 boxes of the unscented. I like it "all right". Some boxes seem dustier than others; some seem not to have much dust at all. It's a little inconsistent, but I think maybe all clay cat litters are. If I run out I buy a local grocery store unscented brand (HEB) that costs slightly over 25 cents per pound for a smaller box. I can't tell any difference between the two.
I actually went out and bought a few boxes of that. You are right about some being dustier than others. But the cats like it a lot more than the A&H so...*shrugs*

EOH

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this is an old post but it needs to be shared. Do not use the Luvsome unscented clumping cat litter. I have had cats for 40 years. Saw the cat litter when picking up some food at Kroger and made the mistake of buying a brand I’ve never used before. This is - by far….BY FAR…the worst ‘clumping cat litter I have ever used. It’s this weird combination of loosely clumping but anything that it touches….the litter liner…a few wayward strands of the cats behind….it will cling too like caulk. Try to scoop it up, and it will slightly break apart, except for the part in contact with the liner leaving behind a mess. To be clear, I’ve used these liners for 7 years. They don’t do this with any other litter ( Elseys, Scoop Away, etc) so it’s not the liner….it’s the litter and for clumping it’s absolute garbage. YOU ARE THROWING AWAY YOUR MONEY. As for odor control - given the amount of cleaning after scooping I’ve had to do the last week I won’t rate it cause I can’t tell how well it works because I’m having to throw out a liner every other day to keep things clean. There is no ‘money back guarantee’ like some litters on the market. Now I know why. Do yourself a favor BUY SOMETHING ELSE!!!