Something a bit different: the neighbors

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thought I'd post something a bit different, what with Pantera and Pimenta hogging up the bandwidth :p:p;)

There are three cats living n front of my building. Technically strays, we and the neighbors take some care of them, leaving out food and water for them. In return, the three protect us from the evil bugs, rats, possums, and birds of the area. Thought I'd give them their internet moment. Iplan to use this thread to post photos of them.

The first goes by the name Zulu. He's a all-black ( un-neutered ) Tomcat. He showed up already an adult some three years ago, estimated age 4-6 years. With a body straght out of the UFC, Zulu has clearly led a hard life. His numerous scars attest to that. Some of those scars and his sometimes skittish personality suggest that he was abused at some point :sigh:. Even so, Zulu is clearly a fighter, not a lover: we have seen him in numerous fights, even running off considerably larger dogs. With us, however, he's the typical affectionate Tom, with a voice that still sounds like a kitten :lol:

Photos of the other two ( Fumaça and Murilo ) as soon as I can ( as soon as they let me :p )

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I think its wonderful for you and your neighbors to be taking care of these precious babies...Is there like a TNR....I think im right..its a program or organization in your area that assists in getting them spayed or neutered???That would help with the fights that have happened ...And it would help possibly making it easier to get these babies forever homes...as they so deserve..I know they maybe somewhat timid aka wild NOT sure...but with time and patience..it could possibly happen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, Rio de Janeiro has fallen behind in that respect :livid::angryfire: The current mayor, inagurated three years ago, killed off the programs that existed. Rio wasn't a model for anything positive, but the city had programs for free vaccinations and free spay/neutering. No TNR, but at least there was something in place (and believe me, the programs were -rightfully- very popular ). All in the name of cutting costs :fuming::fuming::livid::livid:

(*edit*)
There are ONGs that offer discounted spay/nuetering/vaccinations. Prices vary, but are generally very reasonable. We took advantage of one ( SUIPA, the largest and oldest in Rio ) to get Pantera spayed, and Pimenta's turn is coming up.

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The second member of the group is Zulu's girlfriend, Fumaça. Age indeterminate, at least three to four years of age, and fortunately spayed. She spends most of her time mothering the other two, but don't let her smallish, dainty appearance fool you: Fumaça is by far the most prolific hunter of the area. Rodents and other pests (inc. young possums!) have no chance around here.

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last, but not least, is Murilo. Having arrived roughly a year ago, he's likely two or three years of age. When we arrived here six months ago, Murilo was clearly sick. Frequent sneezes and coughs, constant runny nose, and very very skinny. Now he has regained weight- he's still skinny, but in a fit sense- and while not 100% yet, the hacking coughs and runny nose are uncommon now (the neighbor believes that Murilo suffers from chronic bronchitis. I don't know, but no reason to doubt it) . His personality is definitely recovered: while he has a tendency to act like a douchebag at times (eating everyone else's food when they're not looking, taking swipes at Fumaça when she tries to clean him, not using urine to mark territory, but something more... solid ) he is certainly the most affectionate of the three. Murilo loves attention, and even waits out in front of the building for the wife to come home from work.

The one element to this: Pantera took an immediate dislike to Murilo. Given some of his behaviour this may be perceptive on her part. Pantera has been notably indifferent to Zulu and Fumaça (although it seems Zulu has a crush on Pantera, the way he watches her whenever she's in the window or balcony)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually the scars you see on an intact Tom come not from being abused but from their fights with other males. Ears can be torn off, eyes blinded or skin missing from infections caused by bites.

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Usually the scars you see on an intact Tom come not from being abused but from their fights with other males. Ears can be torn off, eyes blinded or skin missing from infections caused by bites.
Very true, but some of Zulu's scars aren't the kind that result from fighting. Most of them, though, are definitely from fighting- we've seen him fighting other cats in the street, and even some very large dogs. Don't let his little baby kitten voice fool you ;)

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here's another shot of the couple (Zulu and Fumaça); they do make an attractive couple, don't they? :p:bigeyes::tabbycat: