Someone shot my cat

miri4191

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes someone shot my cat, apparently with a BB or something similar. There's a hole in his neck now and he may not make it.

We've lived in this town all my life and he's been going outside since I got him when I was eleven or twelve.

I'm so mad. Why would someone think it's okay to just shoot an animal like that!!!!!!!!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry - please turn off the computer and run to the E-Vet.... hope that's what you are doing now... It has happened before here are TCS.... Some people are just nasty

The only way to protect them from this kind of crazy people is keeping the kitties inside

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miri4191

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well of course! I already talked to my vet! He said we'd have to see how we was in the morning! There's not much we can do right now but watch him.

He didn't come in for dinner last night and this this evening he came up to to the deck injured...I don't even know when it happened, but I suspect I know who did it. Some new people have moved in and I saw their kids playing with BB guns....not that I can prove anything. Even if I could this is a town where no one cares about animal abuse anyway.

I'm not planning on letting my kitten outside. It's always made me nervous to let Pepper out...but mom started letting him out and it was okay where we used to live...on the outskirts of town he had a whole yard to play in and he never strayed....but living in town where there are cars and...let's be frank, rude people and nasty little kids running around it makes me nervous!

I don't know how he's going to recover from this....He already broke his shoulder from something falling on him several years ago.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's unlikely that a BB wound would be fatal (or, if it was going to be fatal, like if it punctured a lung or severed an artery or something, he'd be gone already). What makes you think he won't make it? Also, cat bite wounds look VERY similar to BB wounds, so it could be that, too. He'll likely need an antibiotic, a wound flush, maybe stitches if the wound has ripped larger. Let us know how it goes at the vet!

puddy's mum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So sorry to hear this. Please don't give up on your kitty, animals (like people) can heal with the right nutrition and tools.

Whether it's a BB wound or something else, your cat is likely feeling stressed, and there might be infection. So, I'd keep him somewhere quiet and give him lots of love.

Hope all goes well at the vet tomorrow. If your kitty is given antibiotics to take, you might want to read this article (the info in it is backed up by published vet studies):

http://catinfo.org/?link=pillingcats

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, this makes me want to strangle whoever aimed the BB gun.

I had the same problem with my mom--she let my cat Daffy out after I left for college, and then he was killed by a coyote. I don't think I'll ever quite forgive her for it. I hope your cat pulls through--not just for the cat's sake, but for the sake of your relationship with your mom, too.

While your cat recovers, you will have to keep him inside--and you may be able to get him used to being an indoor cat during this time. Sure, he'll want to go out; but if you are firm and persistent and don't let him out even once, he will get used to it. Cats can be happy indoors, even if they've previously been outdoor cats. My cat Tiny used to be a stray, living all of his life outdoors; but he took to the indoor life like a duck to water. Once you get him home--and I hope, hope, hope you will!--you can use his convalescence to teach him that living indoors is fun, too.

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm really so sorry!
I've been in the exact same situation, except luckily Wessie was shot in the leg, not the neck.
I know how stressful and worrying it can be. My best advice for you would be to let your cat take care of it, there's really nothing much us humans can do. Wessie rested a lot when he was shot, licked the area, and was pretty much fine in a week. Unfortunately he can't go outside anymore, and my relationship with the neighbor who did is now completely gone.

Sending many vibes for your cat to get well!

ETA: You should give your cat a warm quiet place to rest. I suggest playing Yanni...

tigganat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's terrible! that really breaks my heart that someone would shoot a sweet wandering animal, especially a cat! some crazy sick people out in this world

vibes to the kitty, get well soon!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miri4191

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update:

The wound is infected and my vet had to put drainage tubes into his neck and stitch it closed. It was huge! I've never seen anything like it. We do have antibiotics and we've made him a hidey hole in the closet back where the other animals won't bother him. He's eating and drinking but the infection is really nasty. The worst of the wound was hidden under his thick fur so it was worse that it looked at first. We have to go back in a week to remove the tubes and bandage him.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's eating and drinking, that's a good sign. He's keeping his strength up and hasn't lost his appetite. Good on you for giving him a place to hide; sick cats need their quiet time and space for the most part.

Are you going to make him a house cat after this? I would highly recommend it. If you have neighbors who would shoot cats with BB guns, it's not safe to have outdoor cats.

ricklisa621

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear that. I have found that people can be very cruel and uncaring. The person who did that has something not wired right in their head. I'd love to shoot a BB into their neck!

My prayers are with you. Hopefully he'll pull through. Is he an old cat?

thembcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's just awful! Its a good sign that he's eating and drinking. If you can get in control of the infection I'm sure he'll pull through. I doubt the BB would be the actual cause of death at this point, like someone stated before, the BB would have to hit and major artery or organ and if he's still alive then that's not the case. Sending vibes to you!

amandak21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear what happened to the little guy, i will never understand what causes a person to be so heartless and want to hurt an innocent animal. Hopefully the meds will work and he can be back to his old self in no time

Good luck with everything! i'll join everyone else in sending the get well vibes

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
if i found out someone shot my cat, or even any cat. i would do something bad back at the person. i have made that decision and i will never change it.