Someone Said They Feel Sorry For My Cat...

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
so anyone who has spoken to me knows I love the bones off my Gracie . Have had her since she was tiny! I fled a bad relationship in Feb and we are staying in a beautiful pad in central London until I buy my forever home (hopefully exchange next week ). Just sent a guy been talking to a photo of Gracie watching two massive birds from the window ..well he replied :’I feel sorry for her ‘. I was like : why ? She is loved, spoilt , and cared for .. i would never leave her ... well he said: ‘you don’t let her outside ‘ ! Well he lives in a village in north England and I live in central London . Is he saying I shouldn’t have cat then ? Gracie’s vet said I’m doing right thing as feline hiv massive in east London ! I know I shouldn’t care however I pride myself on the fact I look after her well

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
so anyone who has spoken to me knows I love the bones off my Gracie . Have had her since she was tiny! I fled a bad relationship in Feb and we are staying in a beautiful pad in central London until I buy my forever home (hopefully exchange next week ). Just sent a guy been talking to a photo of Gracie watching two massive birds from the window ..well he replied :’I feel sorry for her ‘. I was like : why ? She is loved, spoilt , and cared for .. i would never leave her ... well he said: ‘you don’t let her outside ‘ ! Well he lives in a village in north England and I live in central London . Is he saying I shouldn’t have cat then ? Gracie’s vet said I’m doing right thing as feline hiv massive in east London ! I know I shouldn’t care however I pride myself on the fact I look after her well

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Two things I don't understand about the Uk- keeping cats outside and letting your dog off leash. We just don't do that in the USA, at least not like they do over the pond.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they believe cats get depressed and Lack stimulation - that’s what I get told ! Gracie sleeps all day - I know that as on my days off she sleeps in her basket all day (Hours when I’m at work ) . I play with her and give her attention when home ! I do feel guilty as when I was with my ex he got home earlier than me .. Mind you he used to say she”d still sleep and go sit on the window when I was due home !

Pucks104

My boys!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m afraid George and Louie are destined to be indoor only kitties. The coyotes cleared out all the feral cats in our subdivision a few years ago. It is now very rare to see a cat outdoors.

Shikaslate

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel like its perfectly normal to keep cats indoors-only. People think cats "know how to fend for themselves" and while that is not a falsehood, predators are predators so they also know how to best the best. Cats also live a longer life if kept indoors! Its a fact!

We don't have our kitten yet but she will be indoors-only with supervised outdoor time (aka on a leash in our high-walled backyard). Where I live there are coyotes problems, very busy streets, and I'm smack dab between an elementary school and a high school. Not that kids are dangerous, but I worry if they pet a sweet kitty, they might take her home despite an obvious collar. My bf and I have "catified" our home too so she has many places to hide, play, and perch. A cat can live an amazing life without going outside! You know that and I'm happy for that :)

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a subject that worries me. Sombra, adopted almost 2 months ago, is only 4 years old and is and will remain an indoor cat. It is true that she sleeps quite a bit but she does run around after her ping pong balls at an incredible speed for long periods and climbs up to the top of her 2 meters cat tree and jumps from there to my nearby bed quite often. My building is at the corner of an important busy boulevard and an also busy seaside route. It is unthinkable to let her roam outside. I don't have the courage to take her out on a leash because some people in this neibourhood let their dogs out at different times of the day and I dont feel apt to deal with such situations.

Sombra is a gentle affectionate kitten. She doesn't seem at all unhappy. Just now she is sitting by the computer while I'm posting this now and then trying to lick my hand.

Arirang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You're doing the right thing keeping her indoors. People in my area just drop strays off everywhere and have outdoor or indoor/outdoor cats. All sorts of diseases, breeding problems, etc. and I see at least three fresh feline roadkills a week, usually kittens that don't know better. So long as your indoor cat is properly stimulated, you're doing the right thing <3

Royalty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is a subject that worries me. Sombra, adopted almost 2 months ago, is only 4 years old and is and will remain an indoor cat. It is true that she sleeps quite a bit but she does run around after her ping pong balls at an incredible speed for long periods and climbs up to the top of her 2 meters cat tree and jumps from there to my nearby bed quite often. My building is at the corner of an important busy boulevard and an also busy seaside route. It is unthinkable to let her roam outside. I don't have the courage to take her out on a leash because some people in this neibourhood let their dogs out at different times of the day and I dont feel apt to deal with such situations.

Sombra is a gentle affectionate kitten. She doesn't seem at all unhappy. Just now she is sitting by the computer while I'm posting this now and then trying to lick my hand.
Every cat I've ever had apart from two were indoor cats simply because I want them kept safe I do not want them picking up poisons run over or scared outside as long as they have rooms to run about in have enough food n drink plenty of toys they are happy. I'm lucky that I'm at home 24/7 as retired from work now so I can devote a lot of time to both of mine they have three litter trays five beds n a massive floor to ceiling ceiling tree and so many toys everyone has different ideas on how cats should be cared for. A lot like to see cats having freedom meaning outside but it's your cat your choice here's my two they aren't unhappy being inside

Attachments

Royalty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I ignore people who say such things. My two have each other for company, get plenty of exercise together, and have a great view of the outside from the comfort of a recliner. Even if I didn't live in a second-floor apartment, I would still keep them inside, where they're warm and safe.
Totally agree, we keep our cats inside we know they are safe 24/7 there is a saying from a breeder I know I’d rather see my cat fat than flat, keep your cats indoors and safe among other things they don’t upset the wildlife, nor neighbours, and are never scared and for me that’s such a good feeling my cats are happy always

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are providing your cats a loving and safe home. As our populations grow and density increases its becoming less feasible to provide a safe outdoor environment for our cats. I expect the trend towards indoor cats will continue to increase.

For many people they simply couldnt have a cat if it had to be let outdoors. Those cats would be doomed to a life in cages, euthanized or would become feral if they weren't adopted to an indoor life. Those owners have greatly improved their cats lives.

krystab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That would be the last conversation I had with that guy! ALL of my cats have been indoors only - and will continue to be. They have food, water, toys, nice comfy places to sleep... and I never have to worry about them getting hit by a car, attacked by a dog, eaten by a coyote, freezing to death in cold Canadian winters... yup I'm cruel and proud of it! :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree , In a space of a week a mate saw a beautiful long haired cat dead on side of road and another told me a 3 month old Kitten also died on the road ! This is the UK where they think it is cruel not to let your cat out!!

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if he would feel sorry for my cats.

With frequent trips to the cottage.

And lots of attention.

I treat my cats like toddlers and people don't allow young kids to roam the streets so nor do my cats.

If someone told me they feel sorry for my cats I would laugh at them because my cats are incredibly spoiled:lovecat2:

Royalty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It really makes me cross when ppl say things like that oh I feel sorry for your cats I've had cats for sixty years mine have been indoors they are very spoiled. Always safe pampered have loads toys, got each other, have the run of a large house. Mine are hundred ore cent safe 24/7, I don't have to worry about them being stolen hurt scared trapped run over etc. I've never actually had anyone say it to me. I personally would only have indoor cats

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
tumy.jpg
Gypsy was the neighborhood stray before graciously allowing us to become her devoted minions. We allowed her to come and go as she pleased for a month or so before only allowing her out on her leash with one or both of us. She has many windows to watch the birds and squirrels run the wires at eye level. I really don't think she relaxed like this out on her own.

Mattie279

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have two cats. Cat was an indoor/outdoor cat. We adopted him from a shelter when he was five. They didn’t know anything about him other than his age and his food issues (he has a VERY sensitive stomach). He was absolutely insane. He would run from one end of the house to the other at top speed. As he would run he would jump up on the couch and ru across our heads with claws fully extended. He destroyed everything by clawing. Not scratching, he would intentionally destroy stuff. Couches, chairs, beds, my granddaughters toys... It was horrible.
Then one day he got outside by accident and ran away before I could catch him. He was back at nightfall and was a different cat. He wanted to be pet and rubbed for hours. He was completely calm. So we started letting outside during the day. He would play and roam outside during the day and come in at night. I knew it was dangerous. We live in the country and there are predators out there. But I thought that he was so much happier that it was worth the risk. Then he didn’t come home. I thought a predator had gotten him. We got another cat, Cattoo, who DID NOT get to go outside. 9 months later Cat came home. He had been catnapped. Some unwell lady in our neighborhood was collecting cats unknown to anyone else. When animal control went into the ladies house he escaped.
It took months to just be able to pet him. His ear had been mangled but it was healed. After he was back almost a year before I was finally able to pick him up so I could take him to the vet. He had to get some shots for a disease and had worms but he got through it is healthy again. But he WILL NOT come inside the house. I have tried several times to bring him inside and he is terrified. It’s been almost two years since he has been back. I hate it, but he is an outside cat now. He stays on our or our southern neighbors property, but it still scares me.
Cattoo got out and disappeared to never return. I was rushing my husband to the hospital and she got out. I tried to get her but she was under the porch and my husband was bleeding in his brain. I couldn’t stay. I feel guilty as hell.
Now we have Kitten inside. She was born in a shelter from a feral cat. She is the sweetest little thing. She was interested in the outside and kept trying to get outside. She didn’t understand why Cat could be outside and she couldn’t. So I got a leash. We go on walks with Hopper (the dog) and she knows she gets to go outside so she has stopped trying to sneak out.
That guy doesn’t know what he is talking about. Your kitty is perfectly happy, healthy and safe indoors with you.

Mattie