Someone Said They Feel Sorry For My Cat...

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
so anyone who has spoken to me knows I love the bones off my Gracie . Have had her since she was tiny! I fled a bad relationship in Feb and we are staying in a beautiful pad in central London until I buy my forever home (hopefully exchange next week ). Just sent a guy been talking to a photo of Gracie watching two massive birds from the window ..well he replied :’I feel sorry for her ‘. I was like : why ? She is loved, spoilt , and cared for .. i would never leave her ... well he said: ‘you don’t let her outside ‘ ! Well he lives in a village in north England and I live in central London . Is he saying I shouldn’t have cat then ? Gracie’s vet said I’m doing right thing as feline hiv massive in east London ! I know I shouldn’t care however I pride myself on the fact I look after her well

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ignore people who say such things. My two have each other for company, get plenty of exercise together, and have a great view of the outside from the comfort of a recliner. Even if I didn't live in a second-floor apartment, I would still keep them inside, where they're warm and safe.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't give his comments another thought. I'm in the UK too, and the vast majority of cat owners (and shelters/rescues and vets) haven't really got their heads around indoor only kitties. My guys are indoor only too, and love it!

Daisy is a beautiful girl, and is really lucky to have such a great mum and home. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise :thumbsup::rock:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I turned down a few places to stay as didn’t want to leave her ! I know she is happy however people make me question that! I have started to meet a few people who keep their cats indoors however think we are still in the minority in the uk x

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
daisyd daisyd , in my opinion it really was rather rude and overbearing of that person, or of any person, to say that.

Number 1, she is YOUR cat
Number 2, I'm assuming he knows of your situation and yet here he is berating you ?!

Granted, I don't know how serious he was being in his comments or maybe he was trying to be funny, (and Columbine Columbine reminded me that other countries have differing opinions about cats being allowed outside) but I'm of the opinion NOBODY gets to tell me what I should do or not do with MY cat, particularly when you're obviously doing your level best in a challenging situation. :rolleyes3:

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I turned down a few places to stay as didn’t want to leave her ! I know she is happy however people make me question that! I have started to meet a few people who keep their cats indoors however think we are still in the minority in the uk x
I'm beginning to wonder if I'm in the minority here in the US. I'm definitely in the minority in my county :rolleyes3:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Big Guy has a fortunate situation in that he has a back yard where he can pop outside but he's supervised. (as a matter of fact I need to double-check, be right back...) yeah, all good.
But if he didn't have that, he'd be an all-indoor kitty, and was before he came here to grace our lives and home :catrub:

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He does know my situation which is a bit frustrating ! I hope to move into my new flat which has a balcony on the second floor so will build her a catio however will not force her to go out there if she doesn’t want to x

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LGranted, I don't know how serious he was being in his comments or maybe he was trying to be funny, (and Columbine Columbine reminded me that other countries have differing opinions about cats being allowed outside) but I'm of the opinion NOBODY gets to tell me what I should do or not do with MY cat, particularly when you're obviously doing your level best in a challenging situation. :rolleyes3:
The predominant view here in the UK is that it is cruel to keep cats as indoors only. Sad but true :sigh: If you choose to keep indoor only cats here, you just have to be prepared to be told (sometimes frequently) that it's 'cruel' or 'unfair'. Trust yourself first daisyd daisyd . Always. You know that Daisy's happy (I'll bet anything that she shows and tells you that every day), and no one else's opinion on the subject matters :p

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She does ! Follows me room to room - I woke up at 4am and fed her the other morning, she must have noticed I hadn’t set my alarm as she went mad and and didn’t stop at 7am when I was supposed to get up for work ! Bless !

jeannecarol

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I grew up in a small town in CT, in the days when just about all cats were indoor-outdoor. We had one cat disappear, two killed on the street right in front of our house, one who insisted on returning to the old house after we moved, and one who survived a brush with traffic and lived to be 15, bless her. Once I was on my own, I was living either in a city or right next to one, and my cats have been indoors only ever since. Even in the sticks, cats aren't safe outdoors anymore; we have fishers and coyotes. A temporary worker in our department a few years ago lost a kitten and never found it; meanwhile there were rumors of fishers in her area. Keep the furbabies inside!

One of my correspondents on another site has a mesh tent for her cats to enjoy the yard for some hours at a time. Another has a caged run for hers. Another walks hers on harnesses. There are lots of ways to let them have fresh air without endangering them. I like your idea of a catio!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I get some negative comments about my Ladies not being able to go outside the screened-in porch and wander. I live out in the sticks, too and have bears, bobcats, hawks (BIG hawks), owls, bald eagles, coyotes, possibly a cougar, and cat-haters with dogs.

The same ones that comment lose at least one cat or kitten a year.

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I live in Japan and I also keep my cat indoors. My friend told me he feels sorry for my cat. I love Levi but the risks are too high.
Cars go really fast and I have seen too many dead cats on the streets. Dangerous river right next to my apartment. Then it is rare but sickos that kill cats for fun. Read in the news in Japan and someone has been decapitating cats for fun. So NO thank you. lI also will not let my cat outside. I think your doing tge right thing for your kitty.

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would have asked the guy if he was sorry that my cat would not get hit by a car or if he was sorry my cat wouldn't get feline HIV.

When he responded that he was sorry that my cat couldn't experience the great outdoors (or whatever nonsense he was thinking of..) I would have asked if he realized that dead cats don't experience anything.... and demanded that he answer before further discussion.

For the most part, my wife has broken me of the habit of holding people responsible for stupid/mean/manipulative comments. She has utterly failed when it comes to car salesmen and anything regarding cats. I think she secretly approves in these latter two cases.

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some people have it in their heads that cats are more able to care for themselves then dogs or humans.

I can say personally all 8 of my gang had been outside before we got them. None of them show an interest of being back outside. The few times they have come close to showing interest is because they are looking for someone who left. I'd ask him why he thinks that and explain your reasons